Struggling to justify the cost of a new bike

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
pkripper

Re: Struggling to justify the cost of a new bike

Postby pkripper » Mon Nov 05, 2012 14:08 pm

Grill wrote:
noiseboyfeetman wrote:
pkripper wrote:If you don't like the colour if it, it'll always play in the back of your mind. Like buying a metallic gold car - it may have been a good deal, but you'll still look like an OAP.

+1

If you don't like the colour of it you'll find yourself looking at other bikes in no time. I'd agree with what some of the other posters have said for that price you could pick up something in the sales far cheaper with a better spec.

You're contradicting yourself. The OP has clearly stated that he wants a Domane, but you suggest he compromise the bike to get the colour. By sticking with the bike he wants, the colour will be less of an issue, especially after he starts riding it.

Could I have bought a much higher spec Canyon for the same money as my Foil? Yup. Did I want a Canyon? Nope, I wanted a Foil. Now I'm happy as Larry.

Not quite sure that's right. I'm not suggesting the bike is compromised at all, neither is the other chap. The only mention of the 'compromised' 4.3 is yours.

As it stands, I'd get the domane and upgrade the wheels. The difference between ultegra and 105 isn't all that, and functionally not much to the 10spd Tiagra either. In terms of ride, I'd say wheels / tyres is where the benefit can be gained for the cash.

Grill

Postby Grill » Mon Nov 05, 2012 14:21 pm

Not at all. The OP wants a Domane but is unsure as to the cost/benefit of the different models. I clarified different specs, but the frame (which is what the OP wants) was never in question. Suggesting that there is better value to be had in the sales is simply a roundabout way of saying to look at a different bike.

A bit pedantic perhaps, but I like to know that my point is understood. :)

I agree that the biggest gain will be in a proper wheel/tyre package, but I've been spoiled with Ultegra so Tiagra is a no-go for me!
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

freddiegrubb

Postby freddiegrubb » Mon Nov 05, 2012 16:09 pm

Spend as much as you can afford (financially& mentally) .take some pleasure in the "pride of possession" & remember this life aint a dress rehearsal plus there's no pockets in shrouds . Good luck.

buttons129

Postby buttons129 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 16:41 pm

freddiegrubb wrote:Spend as much as you can afford (financially& mentally) .take some pleasure in the "pride of possession" & remember this life aint a dress rehearsal plus there's no pockets in shrouds . Good luck.

Right... say i go for the full monty 4.5 with Ultegra ect. will the 11/28 cassette on the 4.5 as opposed to the 12/30 on the 4.3 model make it any harder on the hills etc? (bearing in mind im a bit of a novice when it comes to these matters and i am moving from a base model Sirrus)

Grill

Postby Grill » Mon Nov 05, 2012 17:44 pm

A compact with a 28 bailout is plenty for getting up the steepest stuff.
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

solboy10

Postby solboy10 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 19:20 pm

FWIW i saw a bike with the new Taigra on it today and it looked very nice. Sure its not as light as 105 or Ultegra but if it functions well why bother with anything else unless you are riding loads or racing.

InkZ

Postby InkZ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 19:43 pm

I justified the cost by telling myself that if I didn't max out the cycle to work scheme then I am effectively losing money by paying more tax, so the more expensive the bike the more money I'm getting :P

blackpoolkev

Postby blackpoolkev » Mon Nov 05, 2012 20:15 pm

I got bitten by the cycling bug two and a half years ago.My under-used Scott speedster flat bar hybrid suddenly became a source of fitness,adventure and fun.Within three months of getting some serious use out of it,I completed a 60 mile Manchester to Blackpool fun ride.It felt great but I had started to experience hand pain on longer rides.
Three months later I bought a Ribble road bike.Several upgrades later, only my lovely Campag Athena groupset is left from the Ribble but that's another story.
Since then I have cycled about 4000 miles a year and that very fact, kind of justifies the outlay.
There are lots of people out there that see road cyclists and think "I wouldn't mind trying that".You are in a much better position than that.You are used to the effort,weather,other road users etc. and still want more.I say spend, spend, spend.

samsbike

Postby samsbike » Tue Nov 06, 2012 18:21 pm

I saw one in the flesh today and my, it is gorgeous. The one I saw was 4.0 with tiagra. I really want to try one now.

mroli

Postby mroli » Tue Nov 06, 2012 18:35 pm

I've just installed Tiagra on a bike I built for a mate. I use Rival/Force and have used 105 old/Dura Ace 9speed and Sora.

I was very impressed with the new Tiagra - apart from not wrapping under bar tape (gear cables), I thought functionally it was every bit as good as the old 105.

buttons129

Postby buttons129 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 19:50 pm

Went out for a 20 mile ride on the old Sirrus this morning. Popped into the lbs on the way for a pre planned test ride on the Domane 4.5

Had the same feeling of driving a brand new car, tight, responsive, quick and surprisingly comfortable! Absolutely loved it! Full carbon and Ultegra. The bike is now sitting in my kitchen. Looking forward to putting some miles on it.

You have all been very helpful. Many many thanks

solboy10

Postby solboy10 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 19:59 pm

result well done buddy

Return to “Road Buying Advice”