Silly commuting racing

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
okgo

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby okgo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 15:01 pm

Caravan is tight, there's one opposite work now, its a winner!
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

Asprilla

Postby Asprilla » Wed Nov 07, 2012 15:07 pm

okgo wrote:Caravan is tight, there's one opposite work now, its a winner!

Isn't it just. The one in Exmouth Market is where I learnt to drink coffee by having espressos. Prior to that I hated coffee.

Just checked where I'm commuting to and just to be clear, it's Victoria Embankment Gardens (Embankment Tube) rather than Embankment Gardens, which is between the Albert and Chelsea bridges.

okgo

Postby okgo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 15:14 pm

GOOD location, doesn't get much better for Embankment wars.

Jealous, I wish sometimes my office was right on that corner where Unilever are just by blackfriars brdge.
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

Asprilla

Postby Asprilla » Wed Nov 07, 2012 15:17 pm

okgo wrote:GOOD location, doesn't get much better for Embankment wars.

Jealous, I wish sometimes my office was right on that corner where Unilever are just by blackfriars brdge.

Yeah, and if I'm on PT I can just wanted over Waterloo Bridge.

They were surprised when I asked about cycling facilities as the PT links are so good.

Keyser__Soze

Postby Keyser__Soze » Wed Nov 07, 2012 17:11 pm

PSA: Chelsea playing at home tonight, expect the west end of the Embankment and the NKR to be even more of a clusterfsck than normal
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

tetm

Postby tetm » Wed Nov 07, 2012 18:57 pm

willy b wrote:Nice seeing you last night TETM. I was expecting a battle along Grosvenor Rd, but was pleased to see you had waited back :)

Indeed, was towing gf home, though it's getting harder work now she has a smart new bike. (This is my excuse for still not being able to breathe properly and daring to tussle with you in full race mode!)

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Nov 07, 2012 19:52 pm

So I'm writing this from the back of a taxi.
Moped took umbrage to my presence. I waved my arm around a bit, he deliberately drove into me. His front wheel ripped most of the spokes in my rear wheel out. Looks like a write off

Being an all round hero I stayed up right. Not hurt. Reported already but need to follow up.

Taxi driver is a lovely Nigerian guy who is cheering me up with crazy stories from Nigeria.

Asprilla

Postby Asprilla » Wed Nov 07, 2012 20:07 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:So I'm writing this from the back of a taxi.
Moped took umbrage to my presence. I waved my arm around a bit, he deliberately drove into me. His front wheel ripped most of the spokes in my rear wheel out. Looks like a write off

Being an all round hero I stayed up right. Not hurt. Reported already but need to follow up.

Taxi driver is a lovely Nigerian guy who is cheering me up with crazy stories from Nigeria.

Flip. Did you get his plate and such?

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Nov 07, 2012 20:31 pm

No. He didn't stop. Got first two letters and a rough description.

Sad times. Taxi cost me £40.

cjcp

Postby cjcp » Wed Nov 07, 2012 20:42 pm

Blimey. Well done for staying upright.

Worth posting on a new thread in case any cyclists saw it and can provide a fuller description?
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Wed Nov 07, 2012 21:17 pm

I hate mopeds
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Wed Nov 07, 2012 23:40 pm

Sorry to hear about that Rick. Hope you get some recompense.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

cjcp

Postby cjcp » Thu Nov 08, 2012 05:51 am

Does your Strava entry say whether you rode with anyone, in case they were nearby?

The satellite version should give you a good refresher on where it happened, your rough speed at the time, and allow the Police to identify if there's a camera on that spot.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

ShavedWheels

Postby ShavedWheels » Thu Nov 08, 2012 08:55 am

OneForTheRoad wrote:
ShavedWheels wrote:
bobinski wrote:
ShavedWheels wrote:There doesn't seem to be ANY SCR's going from Mitcham to Holburn via Streatham and Brixton. No competition what so ever :x

Edited to say. You do appear an a few segments and err, you seem to be quite rapid :oops:

Maybe I'd climb up the SCR leaderboard if I left a bit earlier to miss the traffic!

Leaving at around 6:30 really does make a big difference. I left this morning at 7:30 and the roads were riddled with choppers :x

ShavedWheels

Postby ShavedWheels » Thu Nov 08, 2012 09:10 am

cjcp wrote:Does your Strava entry say whether you rode with anyone, in case they were nearby?

The satellite version should give you a good refresher on where it happened, your rough speed at the time, and allow the Police to identify if there's a camera on that spot.

http://jibbering.com/sports/strava/whorode.html

willy b

Postby willy b » Thu Nov 08, 2012 09:15 am

Sounds like a relativly lucky escape then Rik! Hope you have some luck tracking him down!

In other news I have friday legs, on Thursday. Which doesn't bode well for the club ride tonight :roll:

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 09:20 am

That sucks RC.

So how long would you expect to wait before seeing the benefits of turbo sessions because I was smoking this morning, admittedly the climbs weren't any easier but the rest felt much smoother, more controlled
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Subaqua

Postby Subaqua » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:30 am

Smashed my PB on the Millbank Sprint this morning which was good cos I wasn't really thinking about it until I got to the Tate. Top 300 tomorrow?

On a less happy note... saw someone get a big scare and drop it at the junction of Putney High Street and Putney Bridge Road last night.... I hope there's no harm done fella
Black Pearson Imnotanumber- FCN 4
Blue Marin Team Issue MTB - FCN around 30

Wrath Rob

Postby Wrath Rob » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:29 am

RC - How come it always happens to you? Do you have a Go-Pro on your helmet in a clearly visible position that is used to bait other road users? Major PITA though, I hope the rozzers actually do something this time.

No SCR for me today. Legs are wrecked after 3 days training in 4 days riding so its a definite rest day. Plus beers with work tonight. Keep it safe on the roads!
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

M-A-S

Postby M-A-S » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 am

That's terrible Rick, hope you get some justice. Just keep pestering the police to find the t*** and take him down! (metaphorically speaking of course!)

Also thanks to the four separate gents that slowed to see if I was ok while fixing a puncture between Ham cross and Pen ponds this morning. Second puncture this week! Think it's time to replace my gatorskins.

Return to “Commuting Chat”