Wiggins burns on bonfire

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Cal_Stewart

Re: Wiggins burns on bonfire

Postby Cal_Stewart » Wed Nov 07, 2012 20:40 pm

TheBigBean wrote:
Timoid. wrote:Hmmm, as a catholic I might just give this one a miss. Might as well ask an African American to go to a Klan rally.

I think it is more like asking a white European / American to attend an anti-slavery commemoration. It all depends on your view.

don't know like 1 to 1.5 million European slaves when took between the 16th and 19th by Barbary pirates. also the word slave comes from slav.

But I get your point :lol:
eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
Cervelo P5 EPS
www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799

TheBigBean

Postby TheBigBean » Wed Nov 07, 2012 21:31 pm

Timoid. wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:
Timoid. wrote:Hmmm, as a catholic I might just give this one a miss. Might as well ask an African American to go to a Klan rally.

I think it is more like asking a white European / American to attend an anti-slavery commemoration. It all depends on your view.

Burning crosses? Check
People wearing hooded robes? Check
Anti-catholic slogans? Check
Burning of catholic effigies? Check

Still sounds like the Klan to me. Just a different target.

A horrible horrible tradition.

I think you misunderstand the event. It is not anti-catholic - it is anti the Marian persecutions. It is not against the current pope it is against Pope Paul V. It is not about burning crosses as a representation of Catholicism - it is about burning the crosses on which the martyrs were originally burnt.

There is a substantial difference between commemorating the appalling crimes of the past and a modern day witch hunt against someone based on the colour of their skin or their religion. Overall, I find it more offensive that the Catholic church (and most other religions) would like to forget about its past crimes than some small community in Sussex wishes to commemorate an unsavoury event. But as I said, it all depends on your point of view, and if a reminder of the past is offensive, then you would be wise to give it a miss.

Paul 8v

Postby Paul 8v » Thu Nov 08, 2012 08:14 am

Definitely a bit Klan!

FleshTuxedo

Postby FleshTuxedo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 08:44 am

To the People of Lewes:

HAPPY NOW???

Timoid.

Postby Timoid. » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:05 am

TheBigBean wrote:
Timoid. wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:

Burning crosses? Check

I think you misunderstand the event. It is not anti-catholic - it is anti the Marian persecutions. It is not against the current pope it is against Pope Paul V. It is not about burning crosses as a representation of Catholicism - it is about burning the crosses on which the martyrs were originally burnt.

There is a substantial difference between commemorating the appalling crimes of the past and a modern day witch hunt against someone based on the colour of their skin or their religion. Overall, I find it more offensive that the Catholic church (and most other religions) would like to forget about its past crimes than some small community in Sussex wishes to commemorate an unsavoury event. But as I said, it all depends on your point of view, and if a reminder of the past is offensive, then you would be wise to give it a miss.

Not anti-catholic?

Quite.

Wonder why the Bonfire societies were formed in the 1850s? Co-incided with the re-establishment of Catholic bishoprics in 1850.

I suggest you learn your history.

dougzz

Postby dougzz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:39 am

Belittling and offending any religious (cult) group gets my vote.

TheBigBean

Postby TheBigBean » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:16 am

My original question has been answered, so I think I will leave this thread now.

oneof1982

Postby oneof1982 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:27 pm

Voodooo :evil: :twisted:

natrix

Postby natrix » Thu Nov 08, 2012 13:10 pm

oneof1982 wrote:Voodooo :evil: :twisted:

Well, Wiggo's just been knocked off his bike, so it certainly looks like it :twisted:

Paul 8v

Postby Paul 8v » Thu Nov 08, 2012 13:55 pm

Maybe it was one of this lot hunting him down....

d87francis

Postby d87francis » Thu Nov 08, 2012 23:18 pm

Timoid. wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:
Timoid. wrote:
TheBigBean wrote:

Burning crosses? Check

Not anti-catholic?

Quite.

Wonder why the Bonfire societies were formed in the 1850s? Co-incided with the re-establishment of Catholic bishoprics in 1850.

I suggest you learn your history.

What's horrible or wrong about criticising Catholics/the pope? They do sort of bring it upon themselves.

Return to “Pro Race”