Wiggo in hospital after car crash

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!

CiB

Re: Wiggo in hospital after car crash

Postby CiB » Wed Nov 07, 2012 22:17 pm

That's stuffed his appearance on the wireless on Thursday morning then. How long before the anti-cyclist bile starts to appear in the online newspaper comments? I'll give it half an hour.

Shame. I like Wiggins. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Chadders81

Postby Chadders81 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 22:19 pm

Sounds like he might have been luckier than Tony Martin when he got wiped out earlier this year.

SteppenHerring

Postby SteppenHerring » Wed Nov 07, 2012 23:27 pm

White van. The natural enemy.

Mind you, a few times recently I've had Occado drivers be dickish and BT Openreach seem to be increasingly mental.
mroli wrote:(Michel) Roux has the scary eyes of an inner Begbie...

CiB

Postby CiB » Wed Nov 07, 2012 23:34 pm

Woman in an Astra apparently. Make of that what you will.

I blame msmancunia myself. You never know... it could be a nasty piece of synchronicity...

dhope

Postby dhope » Thu Nov 08, 2012 00:13 am

Was he wearing a helmet?
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

CiB

Postby CiB » Thu Nov 08, 2012 00:24 am

Obviously not, or he'd be ok.

EKE_38BPM

Postby EKE_38BPM » Thu Nov 08, 2012 00:30 am

He probably jumped a red light too.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

First Aspect

Postby First Aspect » Thu Nov 08, 2012 07:18 am

Lights and reflectives? He was probably moving much faster than she expected and didn't indicate to go straight on at the not a junction. Her view was probably obscured by a lamp post, or the wind. She was blinded by the moon.

In a way, while I hope that he's okay, I sort of hope that this can be turned into a benefit. Wiggo is an eloquent bloke and it will be hard for even Mirror readers to argue that he doesn't know what he is doing. I hope he is massively outspoken about it in response to some ignorant interview questions, I really do. (Best steer clear of the c-word though mate).

The BBC concluded their breakfast news article with, "the driver was unhurt". No fcuking sh!t.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Thu Nov 08, 2012 07:40 am

dhope wrote:Was he wearing a helmet?

Oh dear. BBC just reported that he is "one of those people who think that bike helmets should be the law..."

Not sure that's quite what his views are. Love to know how a helmet would prevent broken ribs :roll:
Last edited by rjsterry on Thu Nov 08, 2012 08:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

PeteMadoc

Postby PeteMadoc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 07:57 am

First Aspect wrote:Lights and reflectives? He was probably moving much faster than she expected and didn't indicate to go straight on at the not a junction. Her view was probably obscured by a lamp post, or the wind. She was blinded by the moon.

In a way, while I hope that he's okay, I sort of hope that this can be turned into a benefit. Wiggo is an eloquent bloke and it will be hard for even Mirror readers to argue that he doesn't know what he is doing. I hope he is massively outspoken about it in response to some ignorant interview questions, I really do. (Best steer clear of the c-word though mate).

The BBC concluded their breakfast news article with, "the driver was unhurt". No fcuking sh!t.

Yes, whilst it is awful and I wouldn't wish something like this to happen to anyone, this is a great opportunity to raise the issue of drivers behaviour around cyclists

Unfortunately it will probably be another opportunity missed. It's an issue that we all face every day and I really hope wiggo speaks out.

EKE_38BPM

Postby EKE_38BPM » Thu Nov 08, 2012 08:08 am

I've just listened to the report on BBC Breakfast which had a recording of a person who was nearby who said that when she arrived at the scene Brad was on the pavement. It makes it sound like he was riding on the pavement rather than that he had riding on the road and had been moved out of the road by passers-by.
It didn't tell any actual facts at all other than that the car driver was fine. Well, thats OK then.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

notsoblue

Postby notsoblue » Thu Nov 08, 2012 08:28 am

I speak as a motorist and cyclist, but one thing that really annoys me is when cyclists use the road when my hard earned taxes have gone into providing cycle paths. I'm not implying that this is the case with Bradleys collision, I hasten to add.

It begins.

bompington

Postby bompington » Thu Nov 08, 2012 08:31 am

notsoblue wrote:
I speak as a motorist and cyclist, but one thing that really annoys me is when cyclists use the road when my hard earned taxes have gone into providing cycle paths. I'm not implying that this is the case with Bradleys collision, I hasten to add.

It begins.

Yeah, it just knew it wouldn't be long before people who can't use apostrophes properly started posting comments.

JamesB5446

Postby JamesB5446 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 08:35 am

He's just trying to copy me.

Headhuunter

Postby Headhuunter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 08:37 am

Funny you should ask, the woman who reads the sports new on BBC breakfast said that Wiggo had been hit by a car and that he had a couple of broken ribs but they didn't have the full information yet, she went on to say that (ironically) Wiggo was someone who believed that cyclists should wear helmets by law, just like drivers wear seatbelts... Yes, love, that would probably have saved him from the broken ribs! Another "well she was wearing a mini skirt so she deserved to be raped" type of comment....
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

DrLex

Postby DrLex » Thu Nov 08, 2012 08:37 am

notsoblue wrote:

It begins.

You chaps are obviously not ticking the "I am a cyclist and thereby exempt from all taxes" box when completing your Tax Return.
<goes back to rolling in money, Scrooge McDuck-Style>

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Thu Nov 08, 2012 08:38 am

rjsterry wrote:

Oh dear. BBC just reported that he is "one of those people who think that bike helmets should be the law..."

Not sure that's quite what his views are. Love to know how a helmet would prevent broken ribs :roll:

The relevance of the helmet may relate to the comments made by Wiggins following an accident which IIRC resulted in the death of a cyclist on the day Wiggins won the Olympic TT. He had a microphone pointed at him and said that cyclist should all wear helmets (or something). He then later clarified his comments.
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Thu Nov 08, 2012 08:38 am

Yup - I'm really glad he's OK - but, it's correct, he is very eloquent in a down-to-earth way. Maybe, just maybe, people will think that it might have been them that took out a national hero.
Last edited by meanredspider on Thu Nov 08, 2012 08:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Thu Nov 08, 2012 08:40 am

God how I loath these threads.
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

Return to “Commuting Chat”