Changing Rockshox Coil XC30 Spring

Sorting out your thrunge brackets, fettling your inter-rositers and even stuff about bike parts.
User avatar
jerryfudd
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 16:31 pm

Changing Rockshox Coil XC30 Spring

Postby jerryfudd » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:10 am

Hi,

I've got a set of Rockshox XC30's (2012 model *i think!* with crown adjust not remove - not sure how the 2013 differs but mine came from Wiggle a couple of weeks ago with the V-brake boss) and wondered if anyone can provide some model specific instructions on how to remove and identify which coil spring I have on the basis that I'm probably going to replace it with one of these as the current one is sloppy to say the least....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006KV664M/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/279-8518439-9771453

The image there looks as though it could be quite informative - except its too small to see :x

I did see a quick YouTube vid on removal for a different set of forks but not sure if its different on the XC30 as its got the crown preload adjust and lockout so not even sure which crown id have to remove to get at it :oops:

thanks

Dan

User avatar
cooldad
Posts: 28171
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 22:01 pm

Re: Changing Rockshox Coil XC30 Spring

Postby cooldad » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:15 am

Tech docs on RS website?
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

User avatar
jerryfudd
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 16:31 pm

Re: Changing Rockshox Coil XC30 Spring

Postby jerryfudd » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:26 am

cooldad wrote:Tech docs on RS website?


lead the way :) ....i took a look but couldnt see it, i found the coil spring chart and a service guide for XC32 which isn't a coil spring.

Dan

User avatar
chez_m356
Posts: 1892
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 20:04 pm

Re: Changing Rockshox Coil XC30 Spring

Postby chez_m356 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 14:02 pm

jerryfudd wrote:
cooldad wrote:Tech docs on RS website?


lead the way :) ....i took a look but couldnt see it, i found the coil spring chart and a service guide for XC32 which isn't a coil spring.

Dan

it looks very similar to my recons where the spring and springshaft are a unit, so you will need to remove the lowerlegs as well as the preload adjust parts to change the spring
Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011

User avatar
jerryfudd
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 16:31 pm

Re: Changing Rockshox Coil XC30 Spring

Postby jerryfudd » Thu Nov 08, 2012 14:18 pm

chez_m356 wrote:
jerryfudd wrote:
cooldad wrote:Tech docs on RS website?


lead the way :) ....i took a look but couldnt see it, i found the coil spring chart and a service guide for XC32 which isn't a coil spring.

Dan

it looks very similar to my recons where the spring and springshaft are a unit, so you will need to remove the lowerlegs as well as the preload adjust parts to change the spring


thanks..... well thats more of a pain in the ass than I was hoping for :)

ironically I have the recon silver on my other bike but the 'SL' model - anyone know what the SL is for or how its different?

Dan

User avatar
chez_m356
Posts: 1892
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 20:04 pm

Re: Changing Rockshox Coil XC30 Spring

Postby chez_m356 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 15:15 pm

jerryfudd wrote:
thanks..... well thats more of a pain in the ass than I was hoping for :)

ironically I have the recon silver on my other bike but the 'SL' model - anyone know what the SL is for or how its different?

Dan

Sports Level apparently viewtopic.php?p=16597616
Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011

User avatar
jerryfudd
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 16:31 pm

Re: Changing Rockshox Coil XC30 Spring

Postby jerryfudd » Thu Nov 08, 2012 15:38 pm

chez_m356 wrote:
jerryfudd wrote:
thanks..... well thats more of a pain in the ass than I was hoping for :)

ironically I have the recon silver on my other bike but the 'SL' model - anyone know what the SL is for or how its different?

Dan

Sports Level apparently viewtopic.php?p=16597616


...thanks for that, basically confirmed what i always thought :|

Dan_xz wrote:SL means Sport Level.

These days it's used on lower spec versions of the models. Kind of annoying if you;re buying used forks as you really need to research the year to really know what level you're getting


mine came bundled with 2011 Rockhopper Comp SL although never had an issue with them and happy with the performance..... bought some XC30's for my 'commuter' (and occasional knock around trail) expecting somewhere near the same preload and performance and everytime its not on lockout i feel like the ground is sucking me in as i go bobbing up and down :shock:

(im 90kg btw).

Dan


Return to “MTB Workshop & Tech”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests