Winter Training???

Get fit for riding.
Psychotext

Re: Winter Training???

Postby Psychotext » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:09 pm

Scenery, nature and technical challenge. None of which I get on the roads, especially not the roads near me.

Unless you count avoiding drivers as technical challenge.
Last edited by Psychotext on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

njee20

Postby njee20 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:11 pm

as it is very cold and miserable
i am unable to get out on the bike

Then I'm afraid you need to MTFU, frankly! Turbo training and intervals is a great way to build fitness, but I'd be wary of doing that when you're just starting to ride. If you're looking to compete and you can't face a slightly damp November day you'll be in for a horrible shock I fear! Get yourself outside, do lots of pedalling and have some fun! Come February think about specific intervals to build your now stellar fitness!

Scenery, nature and technical challenge. None of which I get on a road bike.

Err... you're doing it wrong.

Psychotext

Postby Psychotext » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:29 pm

Maybe, but that doesn't change my experience of cycling on the road. Horses for courses.

If you find pleasure from it, good for you, many of us don't.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Thu Nov 08, 2012 13:49 pm

Psychotext wrote:Maybe, but that doesn't change my experience of cycling on the road. Horses for courses.

If you find pleasure from it, good for you, many of us don't.

yeah, god forbid we get some fresh air instead of pedalling an excercise bike indoors.

Psychotext

Postby Psychotext » Thu Nov 08, 2012 17:26 pm

Ok... bit of a strawman there. I never said that one was better than the other, but if you want to play it like that you're more than welcome to. For me it makes more sense because I don't like riding on the road (for the stated reasons). Is that ok with you? I hope my personal opinion of what I like and dislike doesn't offend your delicate sensibilities.

Sure, I'd rather be on the trail but (again previously explained) sometimes when time is an issue it doesn't make sense vs spending a couple of hours on the trainer. Plus of course there are things I can do on the trainer far easier like staying in certain heart rate zones.

itguy2

Postby itguy2 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 07:35 am

Psychotext wrote:Ok... bit of a strawman there. I never said that one was better than the other, but if you want to play it like that you're more than welcome to. For me it makes more sense because I don't like riding on the road (for the stated reasons). Is that ok with you? I hope my personal opinion of what I like and dislike doesn't offend your delicate sensibilities.

Sure, I'd rather be on the trail but (again previously explained) sometimes when time is an issue it doesn't make sense vs spending a couple of hours on the trainer. Plus of course there are things I can do on the trainer far easier like staying in certain heart rate zones.

I totally get this - I use my TT frequently this time of year for a few reasons. One, I have quite severe Raynaulds in my hands which makes them go numb in anything less than 5 or 6 degrees (inc windchill) and two, time. I work hard and go to the gym frequently after work, but on the days where I don't have enough time to divert to the gym and it's too cold outside to ride, I hit the TT.

put it this way, I ride more by having a TT than if I didn't have it. Stick on a sufferfest video and don't cheat and it's a great workout.
-----------------
Lapierre Zesty 514 &
Orange Crush 2010

grawp

Postby grawp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 21:30 pm

I ride often and love it, but it is a faff and a continual cleaning and maintenance chore. definitely ride all winter, through mud and snow and wind and rain. Ride at night and at dawn and even on a sunny day from time to time! Too often you hear people moaning about lack of traction with tyre brand x and chuckle to yourself remembering riding through miles of thick mud with inappropriate tyres at midnight, midweek with a couple of mates, then look at the mildly moist patch they are complaining about and tell them to buck up.

In addition to this I love to spend time on the turbo. I often listen to music and find the endorphins produced through excercise really highlights the tunes. Mentally I can find a couple of hours base training more relaxing than sitting on the sofa being bored by the tv. Other times the ability to get a beast of a workout in then get straight into the shower and fed is a real bonus. Road riding is lush on a summers evening but in winter when it's dark and wet i'll give it a miss.

Graham K

Postby Graham K » Sun Nov 18, 2012 14:32 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:I don't understand why anyone would go on a turbo trainer. You're got a bike, go outside and play.

An ankle bracelet supplied by Her Majesty may say your not allowed :wink:

Jimboliana

Postby Jimboliana » Fri Nov 30, 2012 22:45 pm

Psychotext wrote:Ok... bit of a strawman there. I never said that one was better than the other, but if you want to play it like that you're more than welcome to. For me it makes more sense because I don't like riding on the road (for the stated reasons). Is that ok with you? I hope my personal opinion of what I like and dislike doesn't offend your delicate sensibilities.

I also agree with this, I work hard and sometimes don't have the time to get out so I can pop in the garage, slap on a film a away I go. I have a second hand road bike on my Fortius and this cost me less in money and time, money from all that mud that gets everywhere, then to save money you need to know how to service your pride and joy as you need to spend the time to clean it!

I can control my training alot better on my TT and being a white van man I drive all over the country and see alot of stupid drivers on the roads that I would like to avoid. If it's crisp and dry I will ride at night no problem off-road. Racing in the mud and rain can cost lots of £££ and I would rather try to avoid that.

tugger

Postby tugger » Sun Dec 02, 2012 20:56 pm

get good clothes, ride as long as possible, sprint up the hills, active recover (ie dont just stop at the top of the hills, keep pedallig slowly till you recover your breath and HR). Think about what you eat, eat before, dont over eat after wards, snack during, not so many simple sugars unless in an emergency, concentrate on slow release carbs.

its easier said than done, I didnt ride today cos I had a sniffle and didnt want to get the bike dirty before i out new brakes on it, and I just ate a bag of strawberry bon bons
All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)

danlightbulb

Postby danlightbulb » Sun Dec 23, 2012 16:39 pm

I also hate riding on the road especially in the dark. I live in lovely urban midlands (dudley) and its just horrible on the roads. Definitely noticed my fitness declining now that i'm only riding every couple of weeks or so. In the granny gear for sections of trail I could previously do in the middle ring. Winter sucks.

njee20

Postby njee20 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 21:14 pm

Holy thread resurrection.

Those things will improve your fitness, but are pretty useless for riding a bike fast.

tugger

Postby tugger » Tue Mar 05, 2013 21:33 pm

What about...

An engine...
All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)

Return to “Health, Fitness & Training”