Wiggins - National Disappointment

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Secteur

Wiggins - National Disappointment

Postby Secteur » Thu Nov 08, 2012 19:14 pm

Well, I have held off posting this for a few weeks now, but after seeing Wiggins "giving the finger" to the press as he left hospital today, I feel compelled to post...

Wiggins is a good cyclist. Indeed, he's a great cyclist, and has achieved an incredible amount, but his antics off the road are embarrassing.

The finger today, the c-word at the TdF, the crap almost rude interviews, the constant "I hate all the attention" (dont compete and win big races then), and lets not mention the blue coat at the recent TdF presentation... Plus his famous "i was almost an alcoholic" phase and issues at Sky highlight his approach to life (though I admit, he changed his ways and "lived the life of a cyclist" over last Winter and showed major dedication, which has to be admired).

I feel more than ever that Chris Froome would have been a better "first British winner of a grand tour / TdF" and would been have a far more dignified and gracious champion.

I really cant stand Wiggins now and it he just seems unable to be gracious in public. I dont just support a winner, I support the man, and I just cant bring myself to support this man anymore.

there's enough cyclist hatred as it is, and him giving the finger to the waiting press after leaving hospital today will do immesurable damage to his and cyclists reputations amongst many.

Nik Cube

Re: Wiggins - National Disappointment

Postby Nik Cube » Thu Nov 08, 2012 19:19 pm

Not so

He showing some character that is a thing to behold not some robot doing as he's told to appease the bloody media
Fcn 5
Cube attempt 2010

Secteur

Postby Secteur » Thu Nov 08, 2012 19:21 pm

I don't know... I used to believe the "it's just a bit of character" thing... now I think it's just plain rude & misjudged.

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 19:34 pm

Quite right. How much longer must be tolerate these frightful working class oiks representing our fine nation? The sooner only posh public school boys like Froome are permitted to don the Union Flag, better.
Twitter: @RichN95

Turfle

Postby Turfle » Thu Nov 08, 2012 19:39 pm

Anyone who makes a raffle joke on the Champs Elysees after winning the Tour is alright in my book.

Pointing a camera into the car of someone who has just left hospital deserves at least the finger.

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Thu Nov 08, 2012 19:45 pm

Turfle wrote:Anyone who makes a raffle joke on the Champs Elysees after winning the Tour is alright in my book.

Pointing a camera into the car of someone who has just left hospital deserves at least the finger.

+1
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

iainf72

Postby iainf72 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 19:48 pm

Does it? It's a big news story, the person with the camera is there because there is public interest.

It might be inconvenient but I don't see what the big deal would about saying "I'm fine, bit achy" and move on.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Turfle

Postby Turfle » Thu Nov 08, 2012 19:56 pm

Maybe he was in too much pain/too high on meds/just not in the mood to talk.

Wiggins was in a car. By that point it's pretty clear he doesn't want to be questioned/photographed. It's no different than sticking a camera into someone's house.

The photographer wasn't doing it for public interest; he was doing it for money and titillation.

mr_poll

Postby mr_poll » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:01 pm

iainf72 wrote:Does it? It's a big news story, the person with the camera is there because there is public interest.

It might be inconvenient but I don't see what the big deal would about saying "I'm fine, bit achy" and move on.

Sorry but this argument doesn't hold for me there is a difference between what interests the public and whats in the public interest. The media use the "public interest" argument whenever they want to invade privacy and write sensational stories about celebs - phone hacking, tele photo lenses, kiss and tell - all in the public interest they say and sorry its just BS.

I follow cycling and Wiggo - all I wanted to know was: was he out of hospital and what are his injuries. Do I need some scum bag pap hanging around outside a hospital trying to bag a pic to put a few hundred quid in his pocket to prove this. No Team Sky's very quick statement does that job - without having to disturb someone who is probably shaken and tired after the events of the past 24 hours.

MrTapir

Postby MrTapir » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:03 pm

I say fair play to him, the press are the press and hound people wherever they go so 'the finger' is getting off likely if you ask me. The people on twitter that anonymously spread rumour around on the basis of not very much got what they deserved (c***s)

skylla

Postby skylla » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:04 pm

Jeez, all he did was showing off his broken middle finger on a nice purple hand.

a case of twisted knickers me thinks.

LeicesterLad

Postby LeicesterLad » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:05 pm

He was bound to be a bit p*ssed after such an 'attempt' on his life...

iainf72

Postby iainf72 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:06 pm

Perhaps it's all part of his "oooh, I don't want to be a celeb...but I really do" thing.

Do something bland, they'll go away. Flip the bird and it's news.

I'm not a fan - couldn't really care what he does one way or the other, but if he wanted less attention he did it the wrong way.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:07 pm

Yawns

What a silly thread :roll:

Is the OP Froome's whiney gf?

Secteur

Postby Secteur » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:13 pm

Well, i expected such responses! I know Wiggins is super-popular at the moment.

As per my OP, it's not just the finger, it's attitude and projection in general.

I just like my champions a little more gratious and engaging.

Brakeless

Postby Brakeless » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:14 pm

So some prat in Lancashire thinks one of the Best Sportsmen that has ever come out of England is a National Disappointment. You Secteur are probably a bigger disaappointment in your own bedroom.
Summer: A frame, two wheels, some gears bla bla bla
Winter: A frame, two wheels, some gears, a load of muck bla bla bla

nweststeyn

Postby nweststeyn » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:20 pm

He's just a bloke who rides a bike (very well, which is what I find inspiring in a pro cyclist)... why is everyone so keen to have 'national heroes' all the time? He's not exactly Jimmy Saville, is he.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:25 pm

nweststeyn wrote:He's just a bloke who rides a bike (very well, which is what I find inspiring in a pro cyclist)... why is everyone so keen to have 'national heroes' all the time? He's not exactly Jimmy Saville, is he.

Jimmy Saville...now THERE was a 'national hero' till a few weeks ago...

thegibdog

Postby thegibdog » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:29 pm

I'm sure he will be very upset that you think he is a "national disappointment"!

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:32 pm

Wow his fingers are really long. Like creepy long.
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

Return to “Pro Race”