Wiggins - National Disappointment

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Loretta Damage

Re: Wiggins - National Disappointment

Postby Loretta Damage » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:33 pm

I'm glad he's giving the finger to the press. Most sportsmen & women prostitute themselves with wanton abandon when it comes to the media, it's refreshing to see someone who obviously doesn't give a f**k what everyone else thinks and just cracks on with being good at his chosen sport. Hopefully we'll never see "at home with the Bradley & Cath in their wonderful Lancashire home" in some chav magazine - unlike most of the egotistical so called sporting superstars in our society. Wiggo does the media stuff that he has to and the stuff that interests him (BBC Radio 6 with Weller for example), I genuinely think that he is, at heart, a normal bloke who just happens to have an outstanding talent for riding a bike. The fact that he has his demons and emotional issues, that he wears on his sleeve, makes him even more of a champion that I can relate to.

Garcia03_3

Postby Garcia03_3 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:37 pm

Brakeless wrote:So some prat in Lancashire thinks one of the Best Sportsmen that has ever come out of England is a National Disappointment. You Secteur are probably a bigger disaappointment in your own bedroom.

+1

National Disappointment , seriously? When you look at what he has accomplished this year through hard work and dedication its staggering. Why does he have to live up to your expectations?

You say you like Your champions gratious ( I assume you meant gracious) and engaging but how are they your champions? Stupid Culture in Britain where we think we have ownership of someone, just because they are in the public eye.

The British Media and morons like yourself, that is a "National Disappointment".

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:41 pm

Loretta Damage wrote:I'm glad he's giving the finger to the press.

Let's hope he doesn't p1ss them off enough to turn nasty on him, like they do to so many people on pedestals.

AIUI, the expletives are mostly reserved for dopers, and people that accuse him of doping. Given that doping has ripped the heart out of the sport for years, and that Wiggo has dedicated the last 20 years of his life to it, it's not surprising he feels strongly about it, so I think he can be excused a few outbursts.

I'm sure he is a normal bloke - and it's refreshing to see that down-to-earthness.

But he isn't exactly avoiding the celebrity aura. The sideburns, the stylish clothes, the moody mod look....

Nothing wrong with any of that, and he's a photogenic guy with it. But it's a bit more than just "I'm a dedicated sportsman getting on with the sport, so leave me alone". He's doing lots of good stuff, and with that comes a little more of the public interest, as well as the interest of the public.

If he now ends up as SPOTY, he might do well to be a bit less abrasive, unless it's directed at the bad guys.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:41 pm

Fortunately I'm a crap cyclist because you would get far more antisocial behaviour from me. Give the guy a break. Don't know where it says that talented sportsmen need to be media experts. Andy Murray certainly isn't

Pointless thread alert ...

thegibdog

Postby thegibdog » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:44 pm

Nothing says celebrity aura like sideburns. Apparently.

Chadders81

Postby Chadders81 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:54 pm

As a journalist, I've seen press photographers do anything to try and get a reaction from somebody for a decent pic. Hard to say what happened in this case as none of us was there.

I don't think he's disgraced himself particularly and probably feels a bit of a prick for being photographed with his finger up.

Turfle

Postby Turfle » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:00 pm

Go on Bradley, show a bit of sideburn.

mididoctors

Postby mididoctors » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:20 pm

I would like to express the strong opinion that I do not give a 5h1t one way or the other about this story
"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm

EKIMIKE

Postby EKIMIKE » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:26 pm

RichN95 wrote:Quite right. How much longer must be tolerate these frightful working class oiks representing our fine nation? The sooner only posh public school boys like Froome are permitted to don the Union Flag, better.

:lol: +1 (the sarcastic version, not the literal)

ForumNewbie

Postby ForumNewbie » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:32 pm

Okay he shouldn't have been rude to the Press, but he's certainly not a national disappointment. I think it's a good thing that his unfortunate accident got a lot of coverage in the media as it highlights to the general public the dangers that cyclists face on the road, and how vulnerable we are on a bike compared to people in a car. If it at least makes some motorists think twice and be more aware of cyclists surely that is a good thing.

Beatmaker

Postby Beatmaker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:33 pm

there's enough cyclist hatred as it is, and him giving the finger to the waiting press after leaving hospital today will do immesurable damage to his and cyclists reputations amongst many.

I doubt it, tomorrow's chip wrappers.

durhamwasp

Postby durhamwasp » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:36 pm

anyone have a link to the photo in question
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:38 pm

Beatmaker wrote:
there's enough cyclist hatred as it is, and him giving the finger to the waiting press after leaving hospital today will do immesurable damage to his and cyclists reputations amongst many.

I doubt it, tomorrow's chip wrappers.

+1

I ll bet you a tenner that no one will remember who he or Froome is next July, SPOTY will be the last we see of him in the mainstream media.

There you are, First prediction of the 2013 season for ddraver
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:40 pm

durhamwasp wrote:anyone have a link to the photo in question

Twitter: @RichN95

durhamwasp

Postby durhamwasp » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:44 pm

Well, i dont know the circumstances of it - im presuming he did it for a good reason. He seems a genuine bloke.

BUT, thats not the behaviour of someone who is blatently trying to win SPOTY with all his public appearances.
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

No tA Doctor

Postby No tA Doctor » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:48 pm

I have to say I'm also disappointed in him.

I won't be happy until he's glassed someone in a pub, been caught with hookers and coke and shat on Jonathon Ross' doorstep. Must do better.
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

fudbeer

Postby fudbeer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:49 pm

RichN95 wrote:Quite right. How much longer must be tolerate these frightful working class oiks representing our fine nation? The sooner only posh public school boys like Froome are permitted to don the Union Flag, better.

Yes well said can't stand Froome way to far up his own backside.
Currently I have been mostly riding a Specialized Roubaix Comp

rebs

Postby rebs » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:49 pm

I'm bored of anything being put on a pedestal to be judged by how they react for what they have no interest in.

He likes his privacy and pretty much has the same opinion of certain parts of the press that we do. Difference is he is doing what the majority would want to do also :P

Think about it why bother sticking a camera at the end of a road of a hospital just to get the Wiggins driving home to recover. Do we really need that? I know we have plenty of 24 hour news programs to with rubbish.

Is anyone that offended by what he did... really? Are people upset that he isn't being what some poncy people want him to be?

Is he regarded as being the greatest cyclist we have ever had and shown amazing dedication to achieve what he has? Leave it at that.... There are plenty... I mean plenty of scrotes in this country. Wiggins is certainly not one of them.

PBo

Postby PBo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:52 pm

Caption competition;

"Brad! Brad! Which finger did you dislocate??"

djfleming22

Postby djfleming22 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 21:57 pm

I don't think that he is a disappointment.... what i do think is what he did by giving the the finger is disappointing for the following reasons

1. Other children look up to him and follow him so giving someone the finger in front of the cameras is not something i would ask any of my children to do under any circumstances.
2. We all understand the risks to going on the road for a cycle these days except some of the MPS or alike...now be it pot holes or other drivers and would love for someone to be able to understand what we go through or a voice to stand up for better road conditions well the chance could have taken as he was leaving hospital... put the point across that more needs to be done for both education and money spent on repairs.
3. I am sorry but Mr Wiggins is an ambassador for the sport of cycling whether he likes it or not... start acting like it

Return to “Pro Race”