Training Rollers

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
hobbo31

Training Rollers

Postby hobbo31 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 15:24 pm

After some infomation, I work Nigeria and its not possible to ride outside, I can buy a bike of some sort overhere and was looking at bringing some rollers back with me, are they easy to use and are they best on a road or mtb ? any thoughts
Giant Trance X1 2008
Gary Fisher Cobia 29er 2010
Ribble Road Bike
Giant XTC Composite 29er 2012
Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0 2015

lotus49

Re: Training Rollers

Postby lotus49 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 15:49 pm

I don't have any rollers but I can still answer your question.

No. They are notoriously difficult to use. Apparently you do get used to it but it is not trivial. A friend of mine bought some a couple of weeks ago and is having to cycle in his hall so he has something to hold onto and still cannot manage more than about 30s at a time.

Turbos don't have that disadvantage but they are obviously more artificial as there is no balancing involved. There are quite a few threads on here comparing rollers and turbos so have a look and you can see what the received wisdom is.

Out of interest, why can you not cycle outside? Is it too dangerous?

Melter

Postby Melter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 16:40 pm

Hijack alert! (sorry)

While we're on this subject, I have gone through many many posts and articles, but can't find the answer: Which would be the quietest, a quiet roller, or quiet turbo? ( I live in a flat)

sorry for jumping in, but maybe someone can help me at the same time

TheFD

Postby TheFD » Wed Nov 07, 2012 16:46 pm

Melter wrote:Hijack alert! (sorry)

While we're on this subject, I have gone through many many posts and articles, but can't find the answer: Which would be the quietest, a quiet roller, or quiet turbo? ( I live in a flat)

Quiet roller!

They have no resistance which is what creates the noise.
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » Wed Nov 07, 2012 17:06 pm

lotus49 wrote:I don't have any rollers but I can still answer your question.

No. They are notoriously difficult to use.

Hobbo, be aware that lots and lots of people find rollers easy to ride on. :P

Sprool

Postby Sprool » Wed Nov 07, 2012 17:29 pm

i'm really happy with my rollers, they took a couple of sessions to get used to, i was aided by watching a few youtube videos with handy hints, but after a couple of days i was riding 30 - 40 min sessions with no problem. I get a good workout using the bikes gears and its really helped work on smoother pedalling technique and speeding up my cadence.

Melter

Postby Melter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 17:54 pm

TheFD wrote:
Melter wrote:Hijack alert! (sorry)

Quiet roller!

They have no resistance which is what creates the noise.

thank you

hobbo31

Postby hobbo31 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 18:12 pm

Thanks for all the replies, will get some have plenty of time to get used to them, and yes not safe to go out and the roads even worse
Giant Trance X1 2008
Ribble Road Bike

Bigpikle

Postby Bigpikle » Wed Nov 07, 2012 21:26 pm

took me 10 mins to be riding solo - just helps to have some tips on how to do it as it can be counter intuitive in some ways.

They are a great piece of kit, and much better than turbos in many ways as they keep you focused. Tougher if 'eyes-out' intensity is your goal as its hard to stay upright and work at that level of intensity!
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

wilo13

Postby wilo13 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 23:16 pm

lotus49 wrote:I don't have any rollers but I can still answer your question.

No. They are notoriously difficult to use. Apparently you do get used to it but it is not trivial. A friend of mine bought some a couple of weeks ago and is having to cycle in his hall so he has something to hold onto and still cannot manage more than about 30s at a time.

Turbos don't have that disadvantage but they are obviously more artificial as there is no balancing involved. There are quite a few threads on here comparing rollers and turbos so have a look and you can see what the received wisdom is.

Out of interest, why can you not cycle outside? Is it too dangerous?

How can you comment without every riding on any? I own both and it took me 10mins to be riding comfortably on rollers. If you ride regularly in a group and can cycle no handed you will pick up rollers pretty quickly. They are way more fun that a turbo. I use my turbo though for days when I just want to ride in front of the TV as I don't need to concentrate.

Hobbo where do you live/work in Nigeria? I am half Nigerian and I did my A levels out there in Lagos which is where I was born. You would have to be a lunatic to go out on a bike there! Funnily enough on a Sunday at sunrise there used to be a group of 30-40 guys who would go out on road bikes up one of the main roads. Even more of a surprise was there would be about 4-5 Ex pats (Americans by the sound of it) in the group.
Carrot cake or Flapjack?

hobbo31

Postby hobbo31 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 06:57 am

Wilo13
Based in Port Harcourt so worse than Lagos, not a chance of going out on the roads
Giant Trance X1 2008
Ribble Road Bike

wilo13

Postby wilo13 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 22:05 pm

hobbo31 wrote:Wilo13
Based in Port Harcourt so worse than Lagos, not a chance of going out on the roads

Do you work for an oil company by any chance? My mother is from there, I have been there a couple of times. Cycling out there would by like putting an elephant on ice skates = f***ing dangerous!
Carrot cake or Flapjack?

Return to “Road General”