Campag Powershift Centaur

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
infopete

Campag Powershift Centaur

Postby infopete » Sun Nov 04, 2012 22:24 pm

My touring/wet weather bike is currently 9 speed Campag Centaur.

The left hand lever rattles and as the levers are well used I'm going to replace them for 10 speed levers.

What's the difference between Ergo and Powershift levers and would I notice the difference between Veloce or Centaur levers other than the name?

ugo.santalucia

Re: Campag Powershift Centaur

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Nov 05, 2012 08:24 am

The rattling is a very normal hit and miss Campagnolo feature, if that's the shifter lever rattling against the brake lever... a rubber band around the brake lever will solve the problem, I have seen the Lampre team doing it on Record ergs, so it's pretty much the same across the range.

The newer power shift have a different cable release mechanism to the older ones, but they are not very good either... better to look in the after market for an old 9 speed one with a ratchet mechanism

That said, if you lever shifts OK, keep it, as even new ones rattle.
The difference between Veloce and centaur is = 0

g00se

Postby g00se » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:29 am

Powershift is similar to the older-shape 'Escape' levers - that is, the thumb lever is a button and not a lever - one click at a time. For 2011 onwards, it's on Veloce, Centaur and Athena.

Ultrashift is the proper thumb lever, like the old shape non-escape ergo levers, though I believe the ratchet on the left lever for the front mech has less and bigger jumps than the older version. On 2011+ models, it's only available on Chorus, Record and Super Record. However, you can still get Ultrashift Veloce and Centaur levers new on ebay if you look for 2009 and 2010 models (old logo): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campagnolo-Ve ... 27c8270300

The difference in the Centaur and Veloce levers are cosmetic - some Centaur ones have carbon covered alloy levers - or red anodized bits. Some Veloce levers are plain alloy and not black.

Also, if you use 10-speed levers, you'll need a 10-speed cassette - though the 9-speed mech should work OK.

infopete

Postby infopete » Thu Nov 08, 2012 16:05 pm

Thanks everyone, It looks like I should stick to Veloce :)

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:31 pm

g00se wrote:The difference in the Centaur and Veloce levers are cosmetic - some Centaur ones have carbon covered alloy levers

FWIW, my Centaur levers are carbon - not carbon covered alloy. They probably feel nicer than the metal Veloce levers but that's it. As the others have said, the difference is minimal. At the moment, it's hard to find a sensible justification for chosing any Campag groupset aside from Veloce, Athena and Chorus. And the Athena is marginal!

I wouldn't swap Ultrashift to Powershift full stop. I'd rather 9 speed Ultrashift to 10 or 11 speed Powershift.
Faster than a tent.......

infopete

Postby infopete » Thu Nov 08, 2012 22:26 pm

I wouldn't bother to swap my 9 speed at all but the rattle has to stop :)

Return to “Road Buying Advice”