One hour winter workout

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
hutchy_belfast

Re: One hour winter workout

Postby hutchy_belfast » Thu Nov 08, 2012 20:55 pm

Wanted to post up my thanks for this post just tried it out there and had my best turbo work out to date. Was due to end on an 'under' rep but was feeling good so just kept going on the over...didn't feel so good at 58 mins but just about held in there.
Thanks again

bahzob
Posts: 2042
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 13:41 pm

Re: One hour winter workout

Postby bahzob » Fri Nov 09, 2012 09:52 am

Thanks. Because the ramp up to threshold is so slow and by the time you get there you are very well warmed up and can see the end in sight, I sometimes feel the same and like to push the overs a bit.

bahzob
Posts: 2042
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 13:41 pm

Re: One hour winter workout

Postby bahzob » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:13 am

Tom Dean wrote::roll: Are you serious? Read the whole article and you will see apart form doing 600W in the first minute (!) Wiggins pacing involved going a bit harder on the uphills and a bit easier on the downs, within about 5% either way. Standard. Do you understand why this would be? It has nothing to do with what you are describing.


Without the power data from the ride you can't say how it split. What is clear is that Wiggins was telling himself to hold back for the first section and this advice would be good for all to follow as starting strong and finishing weak = failure. Trying to pace flat while a good goal is extremely difficult to achieve in practice.

You still haven't said if you actually have a power meter and are used to riding with one btw. If so feel free to post an example of how you pace.

User avatar
SBezza
Posts: 2172
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 09:02 am

Re: One hour winter workout

Postby SBezza » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:29 am

bahzob wrote:
Tom Dean wrote::roll: Are you serious? Read the whole article and you will see apart form doing 600W in the first minute (!) Wiggins pacing involved going a bit harder on the uphills and a bit easier on the downs, within about 5% either way. Standard. Do you understand why this would be? It has nothing to do with what you are describing.


Without the power data from the ride you can't say how it split. What is clear is that Wiggins was telling himself to hold back for the first section and this advice would be good for all to follow as starting strong and finishing weak = failure. Trying to pace flat while a good goal is extremely difficult to achieve in practice.

You still haven't said if you actually have a power meter and are used to riding with one btw. If so feel free to post an example of how you pace.


It certainly isn't that hard with a powermeter, then again I paced pretty well without one as well.

Wiggo was telling himself to hold back, because as you very well know the first few minutes of any effort seems easy, and without holding back it is easy to go well over threshold for too long a period and then suffer as a result. He was still going at around threshold no doubt, I wouldn't have expected him to pace it in such a way that he went off below theshold and built the power up. As fatigue sets in it is harder to raise the effort and keep it there, once you get to the correct power for the duration it is actually easier to hold it around that level for most I would suspect.

Tom Dean
Posts: 1650
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 08:08 am

Re: One hour winter workout

Postby Tom Dean » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:46 pm

bahzob wrote:Thanks. Because the ramp up to threshold is so slow and by the time you get there you are very well warmed up and can see the end in sight, I sometimes feel the same and like to push the overs a bit.
So the first 20 minutes is basically a warm up... You posted this as a workout and I'm not critcising it as a workout, but to say it's good TT pacing goes against my (limited) experience and everything I have read.

You said yourself it's all about average power on an uphill TT. There is no way you could achieve the same AP like this compared to flat pacing.

I'm not sure what difference it makes but FYI I don't have a PM.

bahzob
Posts: 2042
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 13:41 pm

Re: One hour winter workout

Postby bahzob » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:50 am

Tom Dean wrote:
bahzob wrote:Thanks. Because the ramp up to threshold is so slow and by the time you get there you are very well warmed up and can see the end in sight, I sometimes feel the same and like to push the overs a bit.
So the first 20 minutes is basically a warm up... You posted this as a workout and I'm not critcising it as a workout, but to say it's good TT pacing goes against my (limited) experience and everything I have read.

You said yourself it's all about average power on an uphill TT. There is no way you could achieve the same AP like this compared to flat pacing.

I'm not sure what difference it makes but FYI I don't have a PM.


Riding at "flat" power is extremely difficult even with a power meter.

If you don't use one I am willing to bet that in truth the actual power in the second half of your rides is consistently less than the first half.

And you can't really be in any position to talk about how to pace power on long climbs because you have never actually done this.

Tom Dean
Posts: 1650
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 08:08 am

Re: One hour winter workout

Postby Tom Dean » Sun Nov 11, 2012 13:23 pm

You seem to be the only one having this difficulty. Out of interest, how do you manage to establish your FTP if you can't ride at an even pace?

mamba80
Posts: 2406
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 13:06 pm

Re: One hour winter workout

Postby mamba80 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 08:41 am

Bahzob....how does 3 or 4 x 1hr ftp sessions per week- help you over 6 or 7 alpine climbs during an event? to my mind it simply isnt enough, what else do you do?
If you can finish in the top 100 of the Marmotte, then i suggest you are doing far more than this.

User avatar
phreak
Posts: 1724
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 13:22 pm
Contact:

Re: One hour winter workout

Postby phreak » Wed Nov 14, 2012 15:20 pm

Without wishing to answer for Bahzob, that's the kind of training I've been doing over the last 18 months or so, albeit with a 4 hour ride usually at the weekends.

Most European sportives are a series of 1hr efforts (the climb) followed by rest periods (the descent). I've found that doing 1hr sessions on the turbo is as good a way of replicating that as is possible in the UK.

The rest comes down to food, both ensuring you're at a good weight for the ride, and then having a good feed strategy on the day.


Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests