Glass bottle thrown at me today. WTF?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Bluedoggy

Glass bottle thrown at me today. WTF?

Postby Bluedoggy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 09:48 am

Well this week has been very eventful for me. First i was clipped by a van, today i had a ******* bottle thrown at me! WTF!
I was on the A36 dual carrageway to Bath and this gold coloured hatchback raced passed me and a bottle smashed right under my wheels. The shock of it! I was festooned in a ball of shattered glass. The car just picking up speed as it drove away.
What is wrong with people? I was'nt even on the main road - i was on the hard shoulder/bike lane. These things always happen in three's, so whats next? Sick to the back teeth. :cry:
Boardman team carbon 2013http://www.paulgreenwoodart.com

NapoleonD

Re: Glass bottle thrown at me today. WTF?

Postby NapoleonD » Fri Nov 09, 2012 09:55 am

That's sh!t mate! Make sure you report it to the police. Likelihood is that it wasn't the first time/won't be the last time this vehicle and its occupants do it. Even if you only have a brief description.
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

Bluedoggy

Postby Bluedoggy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:01 am

NapoleonD wrote:That's sh!t mate! Make sure you report it to the police. Likelihood is that it wasn't the first time/won't be the last time this vehicle and its occupants do it. Even if you only have a brief description.

Do you really think i should contact the police? Nothing they can do surely because i couldn't get e registration plate?
Plus i feel i'm wasting police resources because i wasn't actually hit.

BuckMulligan

Postby BuckMulligan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:11 am

Yeah, definitely contact the police. If you'd had a blowout I'm sure you wouldn't be hesistating.

I'd be wondering why they have a glass bottle in their car anyway, they're not very common these days. Call me cycnical, but it sounds suspiciously pre-meditated if you ask me.

logitech208

Postby logitech208 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:29 am

I travel this road quite a lot myself its a fast road, its along this road someone slapped my ars* out of a car window, I bet they came from Frome. :D

Bluedoggy

Postby Bluedoggy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:33 am

logitech208 wrote:I travel this road quite a lot myself its a fast road, its along this road someone slapped my ars* out of a car window, I bet they came from Frome. :D

Rather have my ars* slapped than being bottled!
Frome, yes? And you're point is? :D

riggsy81

Postby riggsy81 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:46 am

Report it definitely, there are far too many idiots out there

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:55 am

Bluedoggy wrote:
NapoleonD wrote:That's sh!t mate! Make sure you report it to the police. Likelihood is that it wasn't the first time/won't be the last time this vehicle and its occupants do it. Even if you only have a brief description.

Do you really think i should contact the police? Nothing they can do surely because i couldn't get e registration plate?
Plus i feel i'm wasting police resources because i wasn't actually hit.

Ok, say 6 or 7 people report similar incidents with a similar description, one may get the first bit of a number plate, another the end, it all pieces together.

They have at least committed the offence of causing danger to other road users and I would wager you were alarmed/distressed. Therefore there is a public order offence too...
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

Sprool

Postby Sprool » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:03 am

BuckMulligan wrote:I'd be wondering why they have a glass bottle in their car anyway, they're not very common these days..
Bottled beer is very common and likely to be the drink of choice for the sort of scum going round doing this sort of thing. Glad the OP wasn't injured in any way. A family friend was killed on his bike on that road a few years back.

Lagrange

Postby Lagrange » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:14 am

I'm sorry about this and indeed wtf is this all about. Please report it - like you are doing now for us - to the police - there may be a camera somewhere on the road that they can look at given a time estimate even thoguh iot did not record the actual incident. Actually this guy probably comes from Harlow in Essex cos they are like that :lol: - but may have been going to see his mum in Frome.

Bluedoggy

Postby Bluedoggy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:22 am

Ok. I'll pop down to the cop shop in my lunch break and speak to a Bobby.
I'll let you all know how i get on.
Thanks for the advice.

Neale1978

Postby Neale1978 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:34 am

Anything like this.. get the number plate every time. Try not to let it knock your confidence

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:37 am

Bluedoggy wrote:Ok. I'll pop down to the cop shop in my lunch break and speak to a Bobby.
I'll let you all know how i get on.
Thanks for the advice.

Don't be fobbed off by the front desk clerk. Tell the Sgt taylor told you to report it :)
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

Fevmeister

Postby Fevmeister » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:51 pm

Let us know how you get on

seanorawe

Postby seanorawe » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:58 pm

A girl barked at me today. It made me jump and I lost control. I managed to unclip just on time before falling over. I reported it to the police anyway and they said they will put the plate out if any police come by the car, they will pull her over for a word. At least its something. I might invest in a helmet cam.

pdstsp

Postby pdstsp » Fri Nov 09, 2012 13:11 pm

Bluedoggy wrote:
logitech208 wrote:I travel this road quite a lot myself its a fast road, its along this road someone slapped my ars* out of a car window, I bet they came from Frome. :D

Rather have my ars* slapped than being bottled!
Frome, yes? And you're point is? :D

Take it the fungus has calmed down then :lol:

Seriously good to hear you weren't hurt but horrible experience. Good luck with reporting.

bianchimoon

Postby bianchimoon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 13:12 pm

i reported an incident to the police a few weeks ago, where someone deliberatley drove at us on a quiet country lane, i got the first 3 letters of reg no. colour and type of car and where they parked as we passed it a mile up the road. had thought of knocking at the door but thought better of it and reported to non emergency number... waste of time civvy on duty (i guess?) asked me to go back (30 miles away) if i had time and get full reg no then they would possibly do something about it :roll:
Religion is capable of driving people to such dangerous folly that faith seems to me to qualify as a kind of mental illness - RD

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Fri Nov 09, 2012 14:21 pm

bianchimoon wrote:i reported an incident to the police a few weeks ago, where someone deliberatley drove at us on a quiet country lane, i got the first 3 letters of reg no. colour and type of car and where they parked as we passed it a mile up the road. had thought of knocking at the door but thought better of it and reported to non emergency number... waste of time civvy on duty (i guess?) asked me to go back (30 miles away) if i had time and get full reg no then they would possibly do something about it :roll:

Should have demanded to speak to an officer. There are some good civilian members of staff but there are some downright obstructive ones...
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

Stueys

Postby Stueys » Fri Nov 09, 2012 14:56 pm

Glad nothing serious happened.

So this thread, and the other recent ones, has finally convinced me to get a helmet cam. Any recommendations?

Guess the criteria are as light as possible with decent battery life and enough res to pick out number plates.

Bluedoggy

Postby Bluedoggy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 14:56 pm

The police said they couldn't do anything because i didn't get a registration number and the fact i wasn't injured etc. The golden rule is get the registration plate.

Return to “Road General”