Wiggins - National Disappointment

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Richmond Racer

Re: Wiggins - National Disappointment

Postby Richmond Racer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 14:17 pm

My mother taught me the chorus to Four and 20 Virgins when I was a kid. Made us both laugh like loons. Didnt mean that I sang it at every opportunity outside the house.

dennisn

Postby dennisn » Fri Nov 09, 2012 14:22 pm

I think it's very possble that he's flipping off ALL the people who just have to know everything about him.
Last edited by dennisn on Fri Nov 09, 2012 16:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Fri Nov 09, 2012 14:35 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:My mother taught me the chorus to Four and 20 Virgins when I was a kid. Made us both laugh like loons. Didnt mean that I sang it at every opportunity outside the house.

:D

I got punched in the leg by my teacher Mrs Piper when I was 4 and was made to stand in front of the class facing the wall because she overheard me say something rude to my mate.
"You wait until my mum get's here!", I thought, as I'd almost certainly learned such language from her when she dropped something or trod on Lego.
When my mum arrived after school and heard what happened she turned to me said I was a silly boy for swearing in class and asked me what I had expected. I felt betrayed at the time but accepted she had a point.

That was the 70's when swearing was deemed more inappropriate than punching a kid.

Bakunin

Postby Bakunin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 14:39 pm

He's obviously a doper.

He is so whacked out on testosterone, he can't control himself.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 14:40 pm

Bakunin wrote:He's obviously a doper.

He is so whacked out on toblerone, he can't control himself.

FTFY

or maybe that's just me

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Fri Nov 09, 2012 14:44 pm

In the 1970s we got back on our bikes and rode home after far more serious crashes than Wiggins had the other day.
Injuries like Wiggins got wouldn't even have got you out of Mr Tubbs games lesson or cross country. No wonder the NHS needs so much money these days, the slightest little knock or wheeze and its off to A&E. The NHS should send Sky a bill.

Turfle

Postby Turfle » Fri Nov 09, 2012 14:47 pm

Trev The Rev wrote:In the 1970s we got back on our bikes and rode home after far more serious crashes than Wiggins had the other day.
Injuries like Wiggins got wouldn't even have got you out of Mr Tubbs games lesson or cross country. No wonder the NHS needs so much money these days, the slightest little knock or wheeze and its off to A&E. The NHS should send Sky a bill.

As a teen in the 90s I got knocked down by a bus full of hockey girls. Going to hospital was the last thing on my mind.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 14:49 pm

Turfle wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:In the 1970s we got back on our bikes and rode home after far more serious crashes than Wiggins had the other day.

As a teen in the 90s I got knocked down by a bus full of hockey girls. Going to hospital was the last thing on my mind.

They want their ball back :)

Trev The Rev

Postby Trev The Rev » Fri Nov 09, 2012 15:02 pm

Turfle wrote:

Where I'm from in the 1970s the Hockey Girls from the Girls Secondary Modern would have put you in hospital. The Hockey girls from the Girls Grammar would have been a bit more gentle but you would still need to visit the clinic a few weeks later.

Dorset Boy

Postby Dorset Boy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 15:52 pm

Turfle wrote:As a teen in the 90s I got knocked down by a bus full of hockey girls. Going to hospital was the last thing on my mind.

Clearly must have been you colliding with the bus, not the other way round - it's clear you were very distracted! :D

Daz555

Postby Daz555 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 15:53 pm

Most of the press deserve the middle finger. Screw em.
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

steerpike

Postby steerpike » Fri Nov 09, 2012 16:37 pm

Well, I'm starting to err on the 'Dissapointment' side of the fence. He has to learn to start dealing with this better; yes the paps are a disgrace but he should be starting to learn how to deal with the less savoury aspects of fame without lashing out. I'm all for character, but for me he's starting to resemble someone rather immature.

Cavendish is not the sharpest tool in the box, but he's grown up. Wiggins needs to do the same.

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Fri Nov 09, 2012 17:23 pm

Britain has a fine tradition of working class oiks as sporting heroes/ disappointments.

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 17:30 pm

TailWindHome wrote:Britain has a fine tradition of working class oiks as sporting heroes/ disappointments.

Harvey Smith?

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Fri Nov 09, 2012 17:41 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:Harvey Smith?

Harvey Smith doing what later became known as a "Harvey Smith"
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

No tA Doctor

Postby No tA Doctor » Fri Nov 09, 2012 17:45 pm

The biggest disappointment really is that it a single finger, rather than two fingers.
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

dennisn

Postby dennisn » Fri Nov 09, 2012 18:08 pm

No tA Doctor wrote:The biggest disappointment really is that it a single finger, rather than two fingers.

So what's with the two finger thing? Must have a different meaning "over there".

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Fri Nov 09, 2012 18:14 pm

dennisn wrote:So what's with the two finger thing? Must have a different meaning "over there".

It does.

Here it does not mean 'two', it means the same as the middle finger, but in a much less aggressive way.

Still rude, but less unfriendly.

Glad that's cleared that up :)
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Slim Boy Fat

Postby Slim Boy Fat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 18:14 pm

dennisn wrote:
No tA Doctor wrote:The biggest disappointment really is that it a single finger, rather than two fingers.

So what's with the two finger thing? Must have a different meaning "over there".

Read the V sign as an insult bit Dennis http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign#section_2

Edit: Do his kind words on this article make him a national hero again? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-20271788

andrewjoseph

Postby andrewjoseph » Fri Nov 09, 2012 19:18 pm

Brad had a dream as a kid, to be a famous bike rider with lots of fans and his picture on the telly and newspapers etc.

He knew what he wanted and now he's got it, maybe a bit more than he bargained for, but he knows he's got fans and the media are interested, he knows what happens in public will likely be reported. Either he doesn't care or he doesn't think.

I presume it's the latter, he just gets a bit fed up at times, but I think he should be more careful with the image he portrays.

But there again, as the TDF presentation showed, he is trying hard to be different.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails

Return to “Pro Race”