Colnago C40 paint work

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
HappyW

Colnago C40 paint work

Postby HappyW » Fri Nov 09, 2012 13:18 pm

Hi all.

I wonder if anyone can help me. I a quite new to the world of road niking, hence this is my fiorst post. My first bike was a aluminum trek brought through the cycle to work scheme, but I have now upgraded to a 10 year old Colnago C40.

I purchased it through ebay, and am thrilled with the bike in gerenal but some of the paint work around the lugs is peeling. I have included a picture. can any one offer any advise on how to make this good?

Also, any tips on how to include a picture???

Wooliferkins

Re: Colnago C40 paint work

Postby Wooliferkins » Fri Nov 09, 2012 13:30 pm

[img]insert%20image%20location%20here[/img] Click on full editor for all the buttons and stuff
Neil
Help I'm Being Oppressed

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Fri Nov 09, 2012 17:50 pm

Some of the finishing of frames of that vintage can be a bit iffy, particularly lack of any decent primer on bare aluminium drop outs. I had my Colnago of that vintage repainted a while ago for the same reason. Really need photos to make a better call.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

pliptrot

Postby pliptrot » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:04 pm

A premium manufacturer - with the highest prices of all - and they cannot paint their products properly? One wonders what manufacturers of prestige brands actually have to do to put people off, and how on earth they justify their pricing.

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Sat Nov 10, 2012 13:07 pm

pliptrot wrote:A premium manufacturer - with the highest prices of all - and they cannot paint their products properly? One wonders what manufacturers of prestige brands actually have to do to put people off, and how on earth they justify their pricing.

I expect the paintwork on any 10 year old bike would be showing a little bit of wear? The fact is that the Colnago C40 is worth repainting because it was the best bike of that era and people hanker after them. I had mine repainted because it had been ridden hard for 5 years and it still looks and rides great 6 years later.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

HappyW

Postby HappyW » Tue Nov 27, 2012 13:38 pm

Hi all

I have been doing some research and found that I can get the frame repainted and laqured for £350 by atlantic boulevard bikes, has anyone used them before?

I have attached a pic of the damage around one of the lugs.
delamination2.jpg

I agree that these are great frames and worth repainting, just seems like quite a lot of cash.

Return to “Workshop”