Speed play Zero pedals

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
whojanicanackerov

Speed play Zero pedals

Postby whojanicanackerov » Sat Nov 10, 2012 00:18 am

I'm considering changing to speed play zero pedals.Their are a few things worrying me though like the different cleat system and how to clip in and out.also cleat wear?
Also how long do cleats last and how much do they cost to replace?
I've also read that the cleats can be difficult set up on the shoes?
Any feed back helping my decide would be great thanks

themogulman

Re: Speed play Zero pedals

Postby themogulman » Sat Nov 10, 2012 09:57 am

They wear ok. If your careful are get some covers i reckon 18 months(milage dependant). cost is £35 ish.
Set up is fine. They are just very tight to start with and I think thats what puts people off. After say 50 clip ins/out. They are fine. The float adjustment is straight forward if you have some idea what you want to achieve. I had mine set up at a bike fit.

They will need a small amount of fettling. Oil the cleats every 5 rides(ish) and re-grease the pedals every 2000ks.

The major plus is the performance and dual sided clip in.

rozzer32

Postby rozzer32 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:12 am

I've been using the same cleats for about 18 months now and they are still fine, although I use the coffee stop covers which I think are a must.

Like the previous poster said the first few rides they are difficult to clip into but as the spring loosens they are fine. When I get a new set of cleats I normally just spend 5 mins on the turbo clipping in and out.

I've tried Shimano SPD-SL and Look Keo Blades and in my opinion Speedplay Zero is the best pedal on the market.
**** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2011 *****

ratsbeyfus

Postby ratsbeyfus » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:03 am

I love mine - the adjustability and ease of entry/exit is superb. As a poster above says, they are hard to unclip from to start with, but I took my bike to the local track and spent a very boring half hour constantly clipping in and out when I first used them. I also flexed the spring clips manually with a huge screwdriver which really helped loosen them up. I found setting up the cleats fine as well. Took about two weeks to feel perfectly at ease with them so I could clip in/out without thinking.

I did have a set of cafe stop cleat protectors, but couldn't be bothered taking them out on rides after a while. I've had the same set of cleats for 15 months and am just thinking about replacing. When I do replace the cleats, I'll probably re-use the old spring-clips so that I don't have to go to all the faff manually loosening them. Highly recommended.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey

whojanicanackerov

Postby whojanicanackerov » Sat Nov 10, 2012 16:11 pm

Thanks for the advice 8)

Just another thing that has me on the back foot :? We ride out in the country side and when I get caught needing a Pee I frequently find I stood in mud/wet leafs etc Would this be a huge issue for me clogging the cleats up?
Thanks.

ratsbeyfus

Postby ratsbeyfus » Sat Nov 10, 2012 17:29 pm

Mud is a real nuisance for speedplay cleats. Better to pee in your lycra for the true 'hard-man' Paris-Roubaix effect. Or use a twig to dig out the dirt.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey

wishitwasallflat

Postby wishitwasallflat » Sat Nov 10, 2012 18:57 pm

I love mine - never had any clip problems from day one - they last ages 5k+ if you clean them every now and again (maybe once every 15-20 rides for me) - I ride on back country roads and stop for a drink or a pee often and often on muddy dirty ground and never had any problems. If they get dirty I find they get a little sticky to clip in but they are dead easy to strip down clean and a spot of dry lube sorts them out. Also get a plastic 5ml syringe from Tescos (or the like) and inject grease into the pedals every 2k miles or so. Never had any difficulties setting them up - with the free float the only crucial thing is for and aft and I just set mine with ball of foot in the middle and the tweaked them using this as guidance for what I felt -

http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

craker

Postby craker » Sat Nov 10, 2012 19:06 pm

wishitwasallflat wrote:

Oooh good linky thanks. I've decided my knee issue is down to a slightly too low saddle - it's amazing what difference a couple of mm has made. Jury's out on cleat issues (SPD-SL) tho' the cost of converting my fleet to speedplay is prohibitive.

So putting the speedplay cleat on three hole shoes is easy enough then?

wishitwasallflat

Postby wishitwasallflat » Sat Nov 10, 2012 19:14 pm

craker wrote:
wishitwasallflat wrote:

So putting the speedplay cleat on three hole shoes is easy enough then?

Easy peasy just use the adaptor plate that comes with the pedals and each new set of cleats - I have never tried fitting to four hole shoes (read about advantage of reduced stack height though) but I cannot see how you would then have any fore and aft adjustment (unless the shoes had it built in somehow on the screw holes on the base??)

stokey1964

Postby stokey1964 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 19:33 pm

I've got 4 hole speedplay shoes and the fore/aft. Left/right adjustment is done on the cleat base so not an issue

wishitwasallflat

Postby wishitwasallflat » Sat Nov 10, 2012 19:46 pm

stokey1964 wrote:I've got 4 hole speedplay shoes and the fore/aft. Left/right adjustment is done on the cleat base so not an issue

How can you do fore and aft on the cleat base - the slots run left right with no fore aft option - are you talking about the yellow plastic bit? From the videos I've found on the web the fore and aft needs to be on the sole of the shoes -

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuse ... mbs&cgid=2

stokey1964

Postby stokey1964 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 16:04 pm

wishitwasallflat wrote:
stokey1964 wrote:I've got 4 hole speedplay shoes and the fore/aft. Left/right adjustment is done on the cleat base so not an issue

How can you do fore and aft on the cleat base - the slots run left right with no fore aft option - are you talking about the yellow plastic bit? From the videos I've found on the web the fore and aft needs to be on the sole of the shoes -

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuse ... mbs&cgid=2

well it was from memory

now looking at the actual shoes there is fore and aft movement on the shoe itself and left and right on the cleat

SHADOWMATE

Postby SHADOWMATE » Mon Nov 12, 2012 17:38 pm

I just got some Speedplay Zero Chrome-Moly's as a direct result of my bike fit. I changed from Look Keo copys to these as there wasnt enough space to get my foot in its slightly weird natural position. Takes some getting used to having to Stomp into them at first but they are pretty great. The Look (alikes?) were awkward sometimes for getting my left foot in if the peddle was sitting wrong, i'd start ******* at it and fiddling to get my foot in the right position but the Speedplays being double sided are great. You can have extended length on the pedals too to get them longer and further away from the crank if you need to. Have ordered the coffee shop covers too.
Specialized Roubaix Sport Comp 2013
with....gears of war.

on-yer-bike

Postby on-yer-bike » Mon Nov 12, 2012 20:02 pm

Compared to one sided pedals they are easy even when new. You have to make sure the screws arent too tight that hold the metal cover on. Cleats last 18 months I only take the covers when I know Im going to do a lot of walking but not to walk into the coffee shop. They can get blocked with mud. You have to adjust the float so that your heel doesnt hit the chain stay.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Campagnolo

loismustdie

Postby loismustdie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 20:57 pm

Love mine, make sure you don't walk on the cleats without the coffee stop covers, and oil the cleats roughly every five rides and they' ll be great.

That said, my Ultegra SPD-SLs required less maintenance and felt a bit more of a solid platform (but not by much). I can't use them now because I've got too used to the float in the Speedplays.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”