Are we ever satisfied with what we've got?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Joeblack

Re: Are we ever satisfied with what we've got?

Postby Joeblack » Fri Nov 09, 2012 21:08 pm

tiredofwhiners wrote:
Joeblack wrote:Not all 'younger folks' go into debt to buy new/latest things!!

Not all granted, but the vast majority - absolutely they do. Someone else posted about a 30 year old with a new BMW on the front drive - probably of their parents house because they want bling now, won't save and bemoan that they cannot afford to buy a house when there's £40k of metal rapidly depreciating on the drive.

Not all, but most for certain.

I posted this, and I think your wrong to tarnish people with that brush, old and young alike have caught affluenza in the past 10 years and although statistics may show the majority are in the younger bracket, there is a large amount of 25-35yo that have set up new business in the depths of the recession, this is something that requires money management skills, also do not forget that these 'younger' people you talk of will be paying this debt back a long time after you golden oldies have gone :o
One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling

diy

Postby diy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 22:08 pm

Personally I challenge myself to achieve the result for the lowest possible spend. I don't always do it though sometimes I will enjoy buying the bling but normally I find I get more enjoyment out of the bargain.

Take cars for example: Most disappointing purchase was my merc sl, £80k money pit, favourite car i have ever owned Volvo 740gle spent £150 on two tyres and couple of oil changes in 4 years and took it from 170k miles to 240k I think this says a lot about me ;)

loismustdie

Postby loismustdie » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:01 am

Yes - a couple of things I wouldn't change, cost no object:

My watch - Rolex Submariner LV (the green limited edition). If I had the money, I might buy a vintage 1960's Submariner (maybe a Red), but the LV would still be my every day watch.

My bike - Van Nicholas Astraeus, almost complete Dura Ace 7900, Easton components, Quarq powermeter. Genuinely can't think of a way I'd change it (certainly not in a way that would be even remotely cost effective).

Wacky Racer

Postby Wacky Racer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 15:57 pm

loismustdie wrote:Yes - a couple of things I wouldn't change, cost no object:

My watch - Rolex Submariner LV (the green limited edition). If I had the money, I might buy a vintage 1960's Submariner (maybe a Red), but the LV would still be my every day watch.

My bike - Van Nicholas Astraeus, almost complete Dura Ace 7900, Easton components, Quarq powermeter. Genuinely can't think of a way I'd change it (certainly not in a way that would be even remotely cost effective).

I concur with the Rolex. I have the two tone steel/18k ltd edition Submariner with the red and gold bezel and diamond and ruby dial. I love this watch so much I'd never trade it for anything else, no matter what it was. Mine is my every day watch, my wrist would be lost without it.
Ridley Orion

nunowoolmez

Postby nunowoolmez » Sat Nov 10, 2012 17:23 pm

I just had to replace my 1999 Fiesta, failed MOT (badly) & not worth spending on repairs. Went to car lit & bought a 10 year old Renault Megane for £800 inc years tax & MOT. Done 109000 miles! Barely a week earlier i bought a Canyon Ultimate CF frameset for £760! That will be 2 bike projects completed in a year, am i in debt? No. I spend eff all on everything else apart from cycling stuff, holiday adventures, & nice kit! I work hard for decent money & put away a tidy amount into savings accounts every month. It's all about priorities i guess. Although i do think living outside your means is a dangerous game. If you can afford stuff & it doesn't do any harm then who cares! Lifes for living!!!

Frank the tank

Postby Frank the tank » Sat Nov 10, 2012 18:10 pm

Don't read any bike mags, visit any bike web sites or go to your LBS. This is the best way to avoid wanting new stuff just for the sake of it. It's all marketing. Wait 'til you need to replace something before you go looking that way you won't be tempted into spending unneccessary cash. Unless of course you just want more stuff be it bikes or kit.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

nunowoolmez

Postby nunowoolmez » Sat Nov 10, 2012 18:32 pm

Yep, more stuff for me!

One things for sure, this is much more expensive than running! Oh well, bikes are much cooler than trainers anyway!

Luv2ride

Postby Luv2ride » Sun Nov 11, 2012 19:16 pm

I certainly think its a "condition". I've convinced myself I need a good goretex rain jacket, on the basis I've just built up a winter bike and, as my other half has become very fond of pointing out, now I have no excuse but to still go out when the skies turn black!

Went out yesterday wearing my old (and trusty) Altura Crosslite with the express intention of proving that it wouldn't breathe well enough as I'm a sweaty so and so when hammering it out on the bike. I proved 4 things; a) the Crosslite is easily good enough for me, reasonably breathable and fit for purpose, b) in the low light I was grateful for the bright red colour of the Crosslight (the high end jacket i think i "need" is black with few reflectives), c) the Crosslite has useful pockets (the high end jacket doesn't) and d) the Crosslite was great value (picked it up in a sale for 50 squids - new jacket will likely be 150).

My conclusion? I'll probably still buy the new jacket as I love new techy stuff, and i admit that I'm addicted! I do always seek out the very best deal before splashing out my hard earned, and its part of my release from a very stressful job. However, I'm glad to hear from others that it might pass someday as it would be pretty liberating not to be planning the next purchase all the time... :) now, let's google "Shimano RS80"
Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Tifosi CK7 - Pinnacle Arkose Singlespeed "monster cross" - Spesh Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

briantrumpet

Postby briantrumpet » Sun Nov 11, 2012 19:55 pm

elderone wrote:In a word,no.It,s human nature

Maybe I'm not human in that case. Satisfied. Bloody lucky to be in that position, but satisfied.

mervzila

Postby mervzila » Sun Nov 11, 2012 21:00 pm

Frank the tank wrote:Don't read any bike mags, visit any bike web sites or go to your LBS. This is the best way to avoid wanting new stuff just for the sake of it. It's all marketing. Wait 'til you need to replace something before you go looking that way you won't be tempted into spending unneccessary cash. Unless of course you just want more stuff be it bikes or kit.

Return to “Road General”