Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
User avatar
steerpike
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 21:16 pm

Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby steerpike » Sat Nov 10, 2012 18:14 pm

I'm sure that pro-cycling is in many respects, no different from many top level professional sports. Namely, it attracts and then nurtures young men who are unusually focussed in achieving a very, very specific sporting goal and who are not naturally academic. As such, they are nurtured in a bubble of sport from an early age, protected and discouraged from other life experiences.

So...I kind of understand how young professional sportsmen often come across as one-dimensional and often, thick as two short planks.

But I thought footballers were at the sharp end of this until I started hearing and reading some of the things recently coming out of the mouths of the likes of Sanchez, Contador, Indurain, Roche, Cavendish. Now I've just heard Benoit Joachim's remarks.

Do the panel think that pro-cycling is geared to people of low IQ or the generally dull of mind? The kind who can follow instruction and do mind numbing slog for hour on end and only talk and think in cycling?

It's certainly the reason I started.
Last edited by steerpike on Sat Nov 10, 2012 18:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
steerpike
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 21:16 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby steerpike » Sat Nov 10, 2012 18:19 pm

David Millar shows signs of having an IQ of more than 2 digits. Are there others?

User avatar
MrTapir
Posts: 1178
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 15:40 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby MrTapir » Sat Nov 10, 2012 18:49 pm

I believe there are plenty of cyclists who are generally intelligent. I dont think its more or less of a percentage than in normal life. Some people at my work are idiots. I've also found the Dilbert Principle to be fairly true to life.

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 28549
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby Rick Chasey » Sat Nov 10, 2012 18:55 pm

Less likely to be educated but top sports people, especially those involved in sports which involve tactics, are rarely stupid.

Same goes for footballers.

There's a good article that examines Rooney's genius somewhere. He may he inarticulate, undisciplined, but when it comes to the way he thinks abouts and goes about football he obviously is.

User avatar
steerpike
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 21:16 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby steerpike » Sat Nov 10, 2012 19:04 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:Less likely to be educated but top sports people, especially those involved in sports which involve tactics, are rarely stupid.
perhaps 'stupid' is an unhelpful term. I'm sure that somewhere up top, their synapses are well suited to judging attacks, average speeds etc....But I sure wouldn't want to go on a road trip with Nicolas Roche.

BillyMansell
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 18:35 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby BillyMansell » Sat Nov 10, 2012 19:13 pm

steerpike wrote:It's certainly the reason I started.

I suspect you were uncommonly stupid before you started cycling and that the two aren't intrinsically linked. Starting threads to try to denigrate people whose views you disagree with simply evidences what you had previously told us about your uncommon stupidity.

User avatar
Jez mon
Posts: 2557
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 15:07 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby Jez mon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 19:13 pm

I think a combination of them being less likely to be educated and not having English as a first language means that they may well come across as less intelligent.

Also, bear in mind that that being intelligent is no barrier to making stupid comments, Roger Hammond's comments on Lance certainly seemed a bit stupid, but he's got a materials science degree from Brunel*.

(*Having sat through lectures with materials scientists last year, I'm having thoughts that maybe that isn't the best example of being intelligent)
You live and learn. At any rate, you live
Twitter

User avatar
Mooro
Posts: 443
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 09:48 am

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby Mooro » Sat Nov 10, 2012 19:14 pm

Tricky one this in that we only really hear from them through press interviews either face to face with a camera or through a written interview. Both of these are pretty unnatural ways to communicate as its often pretty uncomfortable in front of a camera or its a journo who rarely writes and asks questions without having a predetermined slant on what they want for their story.

not saying they are all bright though...

User avatar
steerpike
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 21:16 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby steerpike » Sat Nov 10, 2012 19:18 pm

BillyMansell wrote:
steerpike wrote:It's certainly the reason I started.

I suspect you were uncommonly stupid before you started cycling and that the two aren't intrinsically linked. Starting threads to try to denigrate people whose views you disagree with simply evidences what you had previously told us about your uncommon stupidity.


So I am not entitled to form an opinion of someone by what comes out of their mouths? And if what comes from their mouths is tripe I am not entitled to make a connection between this and their relative intelligence (lack of)?

Hmmm, I've been doing it wrong all these years. I must be even thicker than I thought.

User avatar
iainf72
Posts: 15161
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby iainf72 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 19:21 pm

Pinotti and Quinziato both very sharp.

However, I believe there have been some studies that show being very intelligent is not ideal in an elite athlete.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

User avatar
steerpike
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 21:16 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby steerpike » Sat Nov 10, 2012 19:26 pm

iainf72 wrote:Pinotti and Quinziato both very sharp.

However, I believe there have been some studies that show being very intelligent is not ideal in an elite athlete.

Hmmm. Interesting. I guess such discussions are only useful up to a point. I can see that a specific type of intelligence is useful (ability to 'see' a pass in football or 'sense' a good time to make a break') but I wonder which part of the brain well developed here. I sense it is a different part than the part that makes one good at maths.

confused@BR
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 15:52 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby confused@BR » Sat Nov 10, 2012 21:05 pm

The problem appears to be that whatever you discover about the athlete is filtered by the media. They have their agenda and can produce an article which, although accurate, emphasizes aspects of that person which may not be entirely in tune with your expectations. Even if you should encounter one at an event they will be focused on that event with little attention to spare for you, or exhausted after the event.

Should you meet them in a social situation, without external pressures, I am confident you would find them "most remarkable, like you".
'fool'

User avatar
OffTheBackAdam
Posts: 2007
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 16:34 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby OffTheBackAdam » Sat Nov 10, 2012 21:27 pm

Certainly having a complete lack of imagination is a prerequisite when descending on piss-wet roads, with a great drop on one side!

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 28549
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby Rick Chasey » Sat Nov 10, 2012 21:32 pm

steerpike wrote:
iainf72 wrote:Pinotti and Quinziato both very sharp.

However, I believe there have been some studies that show being very intelligent is not ideal in an elite athlete.

Hmmm. Interesting. I guess such discussions are only useful up to a point. I can see that a specific type of intelligence is useful (ability to 'see' a pass in football or 'sense' a good time to make a break') but I wonder which part of the brain well developed here. I sense it is a different part than the part that makes one good at maths.



It's true that having perspective and a wide range of interests is unlikely to be particualrly useful as a professional - in that it makes it more difficult to be particularly single minded and fully dedicated to one thing.

User avatar
ShockedSoShocked
Posts: 3916
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 22:43 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby ShockedSoShocked » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:
steerpike wrote:
iainf72 wrote:Pinotti and Quinziato both very sharp.

However, I believe there have been some studies that show being very intelligent is not ideal in an elite athlete.

Hmmm. Interesting. I guess such discussions are only useful up to a point. I can see that a specific type of intelligence is useful (ability to 'see' a pass in football or 'sense' a good time to make a break') but I wonder which part of the brain well developed here. I sense it is a different part than the part that makes one good at maths.



It's true that having perspective and a wide range of interests is unlikely to be particualrly useful as a professional - in that it makes it more difficult to be particularly single minded and fully dedicated to one thing.


From literature I have read, the more intelligent an athlete, the more they tend to analyze their own performance, which suffers as a result. Hence why Sean Kelly was so good :lol:
"A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

RoadPainter
Posts: 307
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 23:37 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby RoadPainter » Sun Nov 11, 2012 13:34 pm

I was at school with a lad who was seriously good at golf. Got a full scholarship to Stanford (where tiger went) and played in Walker Cup (alongside Donald & Casey, against Kuchar - who he played & beat 3 times). He was also very intelligent and well rounded. Didn't make it as a pro, when I saw him a few years ago, he was saying that he was having to work on the mental rather than physical or technical side.

A one case example, but I think it's fairly typical.

Richmond Racer
Posts: 8475
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 17:11 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby Richmond Racer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 14:52 pm

I doubt that many of them are any more stupid than many fans

User avatar
mr_poll
Posts: 1438
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 23:09 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby mr_poll » Sun Nov 11, 2012 15:54 pm

Again not sure I totally agree with the OP - and I haven't seen any stats. However there is an argument that would say that if you are academically gifted then you spend your time with your head in the books at weekends and evenings concentrating on your grades rather than driving across the country competing in a cat 4/3/2/1 race or playing their chosen sport. Therefore those with talent and brains drop away leaving the ones are aren't as academically gifted (not going to say stupid) to hone their sporting prowess.

User avatar
ALIHISGREAT
Posts: 3918
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 15:43 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Sun Nov 11, 2012 17:23 pm

steerpike wrote:I'm sure that pro-cycling is in many respects, no different from many top level professional sports. Namely, it attracts and then nurtures young men who are unusually focussed in achieving a very, very specific sporting goal and who are not naturally academic. As such, they are nurtured in a bubble of sport from an early age, protected and discouraged from other life experiences.

So...I kind of understand how young professional sportsmen often come across as one-dimensional and often, thick as two short planks.

But I thought footballers were at the sharp end of this until I started hearing and reading some of the things recently coming out of the mouths of the likes of Sanchez, Contador, Indurain, Roche, Cavendish. Now I've just heard Benoit Joachim's remarks.

Do the panel think that pro-cycling is geared to people of low IQ or the generally dull of mind? The kind who can follow instruction and do mind numbing slog for hour on end and only talk and think in cycling?

It's certainly the reason I started.


I think you're uncommonly stupid for thinking that pro-cyclists are uncommonly stupid.

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 28549
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby Rick Chasey » Sun Nov 11, 2012 17:31 pm

ShockedSoShocked wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:
steerpike wrote:
iainf72 wrote:Pinotti and Quinziato both very sharp.

However, I believe there have been some studies that show being very intelligent is not ideal in an elite athlete.

Hmmm. Interesting. I guess such discussions are only useful up to a point. I can see that a specific type of intelligence is useful (ability to 'see' a pass in football or 'sense' a good time to make a break') but I wonder which part of the brain well developed here. I sense it is a different part than the part that makes one good at maths.



It's true that having perspective and a wide range of interests is unlikely to be particualrly useful as a professional - in that it makes it more difficult to be particularly single minded and fully dedicated to one thing.


From literature I have read, the more intelligent an athlete, the more they tend to analyze their own performance, which suffers as a result. Hence why Sean Kelly was so good :lol:


Don't think being smart immediately means you're self critical. I know plenty of very smart people who are anything but.


Return to “Pro Race”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ducknumber1, Inutero, orraloon and 13 guests