A quick favour

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Fevmeister
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:24 am

A quick favour

Postby Fevmeister » Sat Nov 10, 2012 20:48 pm


displacedaussie
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 16:41 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby displacedaussie » Sat Nov 10, 2012 20:59 pm

Sure thing. Let me know your credit card details and I'll order them straight away.

User avatar
Joeblack
Posts: 750
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 09:17 am

Re: A quick favour

Postby Joeblack » Sat Nov 10, 2012 21:07 pm

They are a bargain!!!

I'll have 2
One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling

User avatar
wellbeloved747
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 19:51 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby wellbeloved747 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 21:12 pm

Make that another set

Fevmeister
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:24 am

Re: A quick favour

Postby Fevmeister » Sat Nov 10, 2012 21:34 pm

A snip at 3400 aren't they! I'm drooling over them. Surely BR has a resident lottery winner who regularly browses the forums?

User avatar
ShutUpLegs
Posts: 3519
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 19:07 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby ShutUpLegs » Sat Nov 10, 2012 21:35 pm

For clinchers!!??
I Like Black Bikes

Fevmeister
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:24 am

Re: A quick favour

Postby Fevmeister » Sat Nov 10, 2012 21:41 pm

ShutUpLegs wrote:For clinchers!!??


Yes please

User avatar
AndyOgy
Posts: 540
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 20:54 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby AndyOgy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 21:44 pm

They're not even disc brake compatible.

Simon Masterson
Posts: 2491
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 15:52 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby Simon Masterson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 21:50 pm

ShutUpLegs wrote:For clinchers!!??


That. It's amazing what the marketing machine can persuade people to buy. Unless you're Tony Martin and running featherweight non-real-world-cycling-friendly tyres and tubes in time trials, I do not understand the appeal of carbon clinchers, particularly when the risks are well known and tubular tyres are generally considered preferable. You get all of the drawbacks but one; convenient puncture repair. I would so much rather have some top-notch (Royce/Phil Wood/Chris King/etc) hubs laced up with good quality spokes to some nice tubular rims, myself, and pocket the change. :lol:

User avatar
amaferanga
Posts: 6595
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 16:44 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby amaferanga » Sat Nov 10, 2012 22:03 pm

Simon Masterson wrote:
ShutUpLegs wrote:For clinchers!!??


That. It's amazing what the marketing machine can persuade people to buy. Unless you're Tony Martin and running featherweight non-real-world-cycling-friendly tyres and tubes in time trials, I do not understand the appeal of carbon clinchers, particularly when the risks are well known and tubular tyres are generally considered preferable. You get all of the drawbacks but one; convenient puncture repair. I would so much rather have some top-notch (Royce/Phil Wood/Chris King/etc) hubs laced up with good quality spokes to some nice tubular rims, myself, and pocket the change. :lol:


I had a PowerTap hub laced to a carbon clincher rim. It meant I could train and race with power. The risks if you're descending alpine cols may be very real, but in the UK I'm not sure what these well known risks would be other than poor braking if it's very wet.

I can't think of any other reason for having a full carbon clincher though. I've got a crank-based powermeter now and I'll be racing on tubs and training on alloy clinchers from now on.
More problems but still living....

Fevmeister
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:24 am

Re: A quick favour

Postby Fevmeister » Sat Nov 10, 2012 22:11 pm

Don't think im ready to move to tubulars yet. What are these risks of which you preach?

Simon Masterson
Posts: 2491
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 15:52 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby Simon Masterson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 22:23 pm

amaferanga wrote:
Simon Masterson wrote:
ShutUpLegs wrote:For clinchers!!??


That. It's amazing what the marketing machine can persuade people to buy. Unless you're Tony Martin and running featherweight non-real-world-cycling-friendly tyres and tubes in time trials, I do not understand the appeal of carbon clinchers, particularly when the risks are well known and tubular tyres are generally considered preferable. You get all of the drawbacks but one; convenient puncture repair. I would so much rather have some top-notch (Royce/Phil Wood/Chris King/etc) hubs laced up with good quality spokes to some nice tubular rims, myself, and pocket the change. :lol:


I had a PowerTap hub laced to a carbon clincher rim. It meant I could train and race with power. The risks if you're descending alpine cols may be very real, but in the UK I'm not sure what these well known risks would be other than poor braking if it's very wet.

I can't think of any other reason for having a full carbon clincher though. I've got a crank-based powermeter now and I'll be racing on tubs and training on alloy clinchers from now on.


Apart from poor braking, I'm thinking of rim overheating and braking surfaces not being durable. Obviously more of an issue in the alps, but if I remember correctly someone on here posted about problems with brake surfaces.

User avatar
Joeblack
Posts: 750
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 09:17 am

Re: A quick favour

Postby Joeblack » Sat Nov 10, 2012 22:26 pm

Simon Masterson wrote:
ShutUpLegs wrote:For clinchers!!??


That. It's amazing what the marketing machine can persuade people to buy. Unless you're Tony Martin and running featherweight non-real-world-cycling-friendly tyres and tubes in time trials, I do not understand the appeal of carbon clinchers, particularly when the risks are well known and tubular tyres are generally considered preferable. You get all of the drawbacks but one; convenient puncture repair. I would so much rather have some top-notch (Royce/Phil Wood/Chris King/etc) hubs laced up with good quality spokes to some nice tubular rims, myself, and pocket the change. :lol:


Have you rode with either? Raced at a high level? Raced with either?
One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling

Simon Masterson
Posts: 2491
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 15:52 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby Simon Masterson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 22:33 pm

Fevmeister wrote:Don't think im ready to move to tubulars yet. What are these risks of which you preach?


The rims can overheat. For this reason they have been banned in competitions before, and are viewed by many to be unsafe. Braking isn't as good and requires special pads, and carbon fibre spokes snap like spaghetti. All for a small weight saving; indeed some carbon fibre wheels aren't even particularly light. Unless you are racing at a pretty respectable level (i.e. such that an aero wheel is actually more advantageous than a lightweight low-profile rim), I cannot see why as an amateur you would want them, and I have to wonder how many professionals would be using them - even in competitions - if they had to buy their own wheels and didn't have a service car a few metres behind.

Simon Masterson
Posts: 2491
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 15:52 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby Simon Masterson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 22:34 pm

Joeblack wrote:
Simon Masterson wrote:
ShutUpLegs wrote:For clinchers!!??


That. It's amazing what the marketing machine can persuade people to buy. Unless you're Tony Martin and running featherweight non-real-world-cycling-friendly tyres and tubes in time trials, I do not understand the appeal of carbon clinchers, particularly when the risks are well known and tubular tyres are generally considered preferable. You get all of the drawbacks but one; convenient puncture repair. I would so much rather have some top-notch (Royce/Phil Wood/Chris King/etc) hubs laced up with good quality spokes to some nice tubular rims, myself, and pocket the change. :lol:


Have you rode with either? Raced at a high level? Raced with either?


Do I need to have? These aren't made up concerns. I may not have used carbon fibre clinchers, but even if I could afford them I would not buy them for the exact reasons I cited.

User avatar
Joeblack
Posts: 750
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 09:17 am

Re: A quick favour

Postby Joeblack » Sat Nov 10, 2012 22:40 pm

Simon Masterson wrote:
Joeblack wrote:
Simon Masterson wrote:
ShutUpLegs wrote:For clinchers!!??


That. It's amazing what the marketing machine can persuade people to buy. Unless you're Tony Martin and running featherweight non-real-world-cycling-friendly tyres and tubes in time trials, I do not understand the appeal of carbon clinchers, particularly when the risks are well known and tubular tyres are generally considered preferable. You get all of the drawbacks but one; convenient puncture repair. I would so much rather have some top-notch (Royce/Phil Wood/Chris King/etc) hubs laced up with good quality spokes to some nice tubular rims, myself, and pocket the change. :lol:


Have you rode with either? Raced at a high level? Raced with either?


Do I need to have?


Well yes..... If you want your opinion to be taken as worthwhile I'd say some experience is necessary, even if you haven't raced on them have you at least owned this type of wheel?
One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling

User avatar
Joeblack
Posts: 750
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 09:17 am

Re: A quick favour

Postby Joeblack » Sat Nov 10, 2012 22:45 pm

Simon Masterson wrote:
Do I need to have? These aren't made up concerns. I may not have used carbon fibre clinchers, but even if I could afford them I would not buy them for the exact reasons I cited.


Now you have edited your post, this is a fair point and your obviously entitled to your opinion, I was just wondering on what it was based but you have answered that,

I have done none of the above so can't make any kind of opinion except they are ******* expensive!! And wouldn't make a damn bit of difference to my slow a22 even if I could afford them!!
One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling

Simon Masterson
Posts: 2491
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 15:52 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby Simon Masterson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 22:52 pm

Joeblack wrote:
Simon Masterson wrote:
Joeblack wrote:
Simon Masterson wrote:
ShutUpLegs wrote:For clinchers!!??


That. It's amazing what the marketing machine can persuade people to buy. Unless you're Tony Martin and running featherweight non-real-world-cycling-friendly tyres and tubes in time trials, I do not understand the appeal of carbon clinchers, particularly when the risks are well known and tubular tyres are generally considered preferable. You get all of the drawbacks but one; convenient puncture repair. I would so much rather have some top-notch (Royce/Phil Wood/Chris King/etc) hubs laced up with good quality spokes to some nice tubular rims, myself, and pocket the change. :lol:


Have you rode with either? Raced at a high level? Raced with either?


Do I need to have?


Well yes..... If you want your opinion to be taken as worthwhile I'd say some experience is necessary, even if you haven't raced on them have you at least owned this type of wheel?


I'm citing other peoples' opinions and experiences. If I were trying to imply that I had used something that I in fact had not, that would be different. I haven't owned any silly collectible bikes either, but that doesn't disqualify me from stating that they are overpriced if I can substantiate my arguments. None of the points I've made are subjective; they arise from the properties of carbon fibre as a material.

All I'm effectively doing is giving the reasons why I wouldn't buy the product. You can pretend that the points that I'm presenting aren't valid if you like, but it's a bit silly.

However, we do agree on something; they ARE ******* expensive. :lol: One thousand of your English pounds on the other hand will buy you a very handsome pair of alloy-rimmed wheels!

Fevmeister
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:24 am

Re: A quick favour

Postby Fevmeister » Sat Nov 10, 2012 22:55 pm

Simon Masterson wrote:
Fevmeister wrote:Don't think im ready to move to tubulars yet. What are these risks of which you preach?


The rims can overheat. For this reason they have been banned in competitions before, and are viewed by many to be unsafe. Braking isn't as good and requires special pads, and carbon fibre spokes snap like spaghetti. All for a small weight saving; indeed some carbon fibre wheels aren't even particularly light. Unless you are racing at a pretty respectable level (i.e. such that an aero wheel is actually more advantageous than a lightweight low-profile rim), I cannot see why as an amateur you would want them, and I have to wonder how many professionals would be using them - even in competitions - if they had to buy their own wheels and didn't have a service car a few metres behind.


I can see your point, but what makes a clincher rim overheat but not a tubular? What about carbon rim clinchers but wi alloy braking surface like dura ace c35/50?
Last edited by Fevmeister on Sun Nov 11, 2012 20:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Joeblack
Posts: 750
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 09:17 am

Re: A quick favour

Postby Joeblack » Sun Nov 11, 2012 18:52 pm

Simon Masterson wrote:
Joeblack wrote:
Simon Masterson wrote:
Joeblack wrote:
Simon Masterson wrote:
ShutUpLegs wrote:For clinchers!!??


That. It's amazing what the marketing machine can persuade people to buy. Unless you're Tony Martin and running featherweight non-real-world-cycling-friendly tyres and tubes in time trials, I do not understand the appeal of carbon clinchers, particularly when the risks are well known and tubular tyres are generally considered preferable. You get all of the drawbacks but one; convenient puncture repair. I would so much rather have some top-notch (Royce/Phil Wood/Chris King/etc) hubs laced up with good quality spokes to some nice tubular rims, myself, and pocket the change. :lol:


Have you rode with either? Raced at a high level? Raced with either?


Do I need to have?


Well yes..... If you want your opinion to be taken as worthwhile I'd say some experience is necessary, even if you haven't raced on them have you at least owned this type of wheel?


I'm citing other peoples' opinions and experiences. If I were trying to imply that I had used something that I in fact had not, that would be different. I haven't owned any silly collectible bikes either, but that doesn't disqualify me from stating that they are overpriced if I can substantiate my arguments. None of the points I've made are subjective; they arise from the properties of carbon fibre as a material.

All I'm effectively doing is giving the reasons why I wouldn't buy the product. You can pretend that the points that I'm presenting aren't valid if you like, but it's a bit silly.

However, we do agree on something; they ARE ******* expensive. :lol: One thousand of your English pounds on the other hand will buy you a very handsome pair of alloy-rimmed wheels!


We do agree I would never spend more than 500-600 pounds on wheels and they would be alloy I'm just not at the standard to warrant anything else.
One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling


Return to “Road General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chatlow, Grahamsjz, Keezx, ovi, Rollemynot and 7 guests