Night ride

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
unixnerd

Re: Night ride

Postby unixnerd » Sun Nov 11, 2012 18:10 pm

I'm just back from a few hours mountain biking in the dark, great fun. But during the week I'm in Aberdeen and I tend to do 20 miles after work on country roads. As someone else mentioned I feel more visible and safer at night than in the daytime. Get some decent lights and a head torch and enjoy yourself. Anything that helps maintain my fitness over the winter must be good!
http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!

Keith57

Postby Keith57 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 18:21 pm

I've done a lot of night riding after work, I stick to quiet lanes I know well and it's ok with a good light. However, the last few winters have been cold and icy, which has kept me off the bike for a month or two.

So this year I am going to bring the bike to work and ride in the lunch hour. I've got a great 25k loop with lots of sprinting type hills on reasonably quite roads I can do in around an hour. Means I am riding in the daylight in the middle of the day. An hour isn't much, so I have to make it a 'quality' ride - ie max hr as often as possible and attacking the hills out of the saddle, etc. Some other bikers at work may well join in too!

twoshots

Postby twoshots » Sun Nov 11, 2012 21:05 pm

I enjoy night riding. I must admit I didn't used to, I found it eary as I was mostly commuting along country lanes. It is easy to forget just how dark it really is when it's dark! (If you see what I mean...!) Tomorrow I'll be part of a small group out for a group ride after work, it should be interesting at least.

Return to “Road Beginners”