A quick favour

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Simon Masterson
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 15:52 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby Simon Masterson » Sun Nov 11, 2012 21:18 pm

Fevmeister wrote:
Simon Masterson wrote:
Fevmeister wrote:Don't think im ready to move to tubulars yet. What are these risks of which you preach?


The rims can overheat. For this reason they have been banned in competitions before, and are viewed by many to be unsafe. Braking isn't as good and requires special pads, and carbon fibre spokes snap like spaghetti. All for a small weight saving; indeed some carbon fibre wheels aren't even particularly light. Unless you are racing at a pretty respectable level (i.e. such that an aero wheel is actually more advantageous than a lightweight low-profile rim), I cannot see why as an amateur you would want them, and I have to wonder how many professionals would be using them - even in competitions - if they had to buy their own wheels and didn't have a service car a few metres behind.


I can see your point, but what makes a clincher rim overheat but not a tubular? What about carbon rim clinchers but wi alloy braking surface like dura ace c35/50?


The two are different designs, and carbon fibre clincher rims by nature of their construction do not dissipate heat as well. Both are susceptible to this problem, though; it just so happens that the pros don't need to care very much!

User avatar
amaferanga
Posts: 6595
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 16:44 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby amaferanga » Sun Nov 11, 2012 21:23 pm

Simon Masterson wrote:The two are different designs, and carbon fibre clincher rims by nature of their construction do not dissipate heat as well. Both are susceptible to this problem, though; it just so happens that the pros don't need to care very much!


Um are you sure? Why would a tubular carbon rim dissipate heat any differently to a carbon clincher rim? I thought the reason there was a (mostly) theoretical additional risk with clinchers is that the tyre can pop off the rim. Obviously this isn't going to happen with a tubular rim.

I think you're overplaying the risk personally, but then all I have is my own personal experience of doing all sorts of riding in the UK for the best part of two years with a set of carbon clinchers.
More problems but still living....

User avatar
Paul 8v
Posts: 5135
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 17:04 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby Paul 8v » Sun Nov 11, 2012 21:28 pm

I'd go for the aluminium braking surface and carbon deep section for piece of mind. As for the tubular/vs clinched debate I've never run tubs for fear of them rolling off the rim, I'm sure my fears see completely unfounded though!

Simon Masterson
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 15:52 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby Simon Masterson » Sun Nov 11, 2012 21:29 pm

amaferanga wrote:
Simon Masterson wrote:The two are different designs, and carbon fibre clincher rims by nature of their construction do not dissipate heat as well. Both are susceptible to this problem, though; it just so happens that the pros don't need to care very much!


Um are you sure? Why would a tubular carbon rim dissipate heat any differently to a carbon clincher rim? I thought the reason there was a (mostly) theoretical additional risk with clinchers is that the tyre can pop off the rim. Obviously this isn't going to happen with a tubular rim.

I think you're overplaying the risk personally, but then all I have is my own personal experience of doing all sorts of riding in the UK for the best part of two years with a set of carbon clinchers.


I have read that specifically cited somewhere. I can't remember why it was that the author claimed they were more susceptible. I probably am overplaying the risk, but I still don't really understand why most people would actually want them!

Simon Masterson
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 15:52 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby Simon Masterson » Sun Nov 11, 2012 21:32 pm

Joeblack wrote:We do agree I would never spend more than 500-600 pounds on wheels and they would be alloy I'm just not at the standard to warrant anything else.


Neither do I matey; neither do I! I'm not worried; most cyclists don't either. :wink:

User avatar
Paul 8v
Posts: 5135
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 17:04 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby Paul 8v » Sun Nov 11, 2012 21:55 pm

Simon Masterson wrote:
Joeblack wrote:We do agree I would never spend more than 500-600 pounds on wheels and they would be alloy I'm just not at the standard to warrant anything else.


Neither do I matey; neither do I! I'm not worried; most cyclists don't either. :wink:

I'd imagine with most people it's probably the aesthetics of them, and the fact they make a cool sound...

Lycra-Byka
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 05:23 am

Re: A quick favour

Postby Lycra-Byka » Mon Nov 12, 2012 15:36 pm

They look good AND make a cool sound?

I'll buy 3!

User avatar
Paul 8v
Posts: 5135
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 17:04 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby Paul 8v » Tue Nov 13, 2012 14:00 pm

Lets not pretend that's not half the reason people choose these aero wheels!

User avatar
greasedscotsman
Posts: 6637
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 20:38 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby greasedscotsman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 14:17 pm

Paul 8v wrote:Lets not pretend that's not half the reason people choose these aero wheels!


Half? :wink:

Simon Masterson
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 15:52 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby Simon Masterson » Tue Nov 13, 2012 15:46 pm

Paul 8v wrote:
Simon Masterson wrote:
Joeblack wrote:We do agree I would never spend more than 500-600 pounds on wheels and they would be alloy I'm just not at the standard to warrant anything else.


Neither do I matey; neither do I! I'm not worried; most cyclists don't either. :wink:

I'd imagine with most people it's probably the aesthetics of them, and the fact they make a cool sound...


I concur!

But I think the credit really needs to go to the manufacturers here, since they managed to persuade amateur cyclists to WANT wheels that make for fantastic advertising. :lol:

User avatar
Paul 8v
Posts: 5135
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 17:04 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby Paul 8v » Wed Nov 14, 2012 08:20 am

Simon Masterson wrote:
Paul 8v wrote:
Simon Masterson wrote:
Joeblack wrote:We do agree I would never spend more than 500-600 pounds on wheels and they would be alloy I'm just not at the standard to warrant anything else.


Neither do I matey; neither do I! I'm not worried; most cyclists don't either. :wink:

I'd imagine with most people it's probably the aesthetics of them, and the fact they make a cool sound...


I concur!

But I think the credit really needs to go to the manufacturers here, since they managed to persuade amateur cyclists to WANT wheels that make for fantastic advertising. :lol:


Oh hell yeah, I want a pair anyway :-)

User avatar
Rolf F
Posts: 13576
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:29 am

Re: A quick favour

Postby Rolf F » Wed Nov 14, 2012 09:34 am

I find it vaguely amusing that 'we' like so much the aesthetic of a black tyre on a deep section black rim - giving a very fat appearance to the wheel/tyre setup and a practical circumstance that in most respects, for us mortals, is a poor solution (ie overly heavy, delicate, excessively stiff rims).

In contrast, in the car world, the fashion is for ultra low profile tyres and wheels with thin rims and tall spokes giving a very slim profile. This is also a terrible solution as most modern cars have excessively wide rims making them tramline, giving them a hard ride and making the wheels vulnerable to damage.

If car fashion went to high profile tyres and bike fashion went to low profile rims, most of us would be better off! :lol:

Personally, I think most bikes look a bit silly with deep rim wheels.
Faster than a tent.......

User avatar
Paul 8v
Posts: 5135
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 17:04 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby Paul 8v » Wed Nov 14, 2012 13:34 pm

you're right there, low pro tyres do tend to lend to the car crashing about on rough surfaces (Especially here in Essex where the last time the roads were maintained there were still horse and carts going down them!) I must say though I'm a sucker for the black rims/tyres combo on bikes!

User avatar
dmclite-3.0
Posts: 841
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 19:50 pm

Re: A quick favour

Postby dmclite-3.0 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 17:45 pm

Fevmeister wrote:If someone would like to buy me these, that would be great. Thanks.

http://www.primera-sports.com/products/lightweight-785/lightweight-meilenstein-clincher-wheelset-11386.aspx



Looking at your bike list and what you have spent, I think you can buy them yourself matey :wink:
I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...

Fevmeister
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:24 am

Re: A quick favour

Postby Fevmeister » Wed Dec 05, 2012 20:11 pm



Return to “Road General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apreading, Dabber and 7 guests