Weight loss after long injury

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
User avatar
xcMuttley
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 17:05 pm

Weight loss after long injury

Postby xcMuttley » Sat Nov 10, 2012 18:36 pm

Hi, this is going to be a long one so i apologize in advance.
More than two years ago i came down with back pain whilst in turkey since then i have had numerous tests, scans and treatments but unfortunately most of the time was spent in a wheelchair or struggling on crutches.
Obviously this has had serious implications on my health and i put on a lot of weight.
But now im back to very nearly full health due to a miracle tablet and accupuncture.
Unable to go back to rugby or Hockey it only seemed to make sense go to my second love which is cycling!!
I have always enjoyed cycling and it used to be part of my training for rugby but i have never been a lightweight so never felt it was a sport i could compete in as well as i did rugby.
But leaving rugby has been very hard i was becoming a good player and was playing for North yorkshire and yorkshire at points but now unable to go back after such a serious injury i cant help but think would cycling have been worth following earlier?
Now at nearing 16 stone and 6ft3" at the age of 16 (17 on the 21st of this month!!) I want to find something new to do
i have always had good stamina so i have decided i would like to enter long distance rides/sportives etc.
But obviously my weight is holding me back a little bit :( I have bought a 2010 gt gtr series 2 and have begun cycling nearly everyday at least 20 miles but usually over 30 and upto 50 before my back normally starts to ache but i havnt lost any weight? or very little anyway, i do my "Big ride" + 30 minutes on the static bike and 30 minutes of weights, im also eating very healthy too. But my weight isnt going down, i have built up a lot of muscle as most of my muscles had wasted away whilst in the wheelchair and i no muscle weighs much more than fat but i still want to decrease my weight. Will my muscles stop building as quickly allowing me to see on the scales that i have lost some weight? Is there something im doing wrong? Should i be doing sprints instead of longer rides? Any help in my mission for weight loss would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks for reading sorry it was so long

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Sat Nov 10, 2012 18:49 pm

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat.

How much do you eat in a day?

User avatar
dw300
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 19:48 pm

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby dw300 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 19:30 pm

If you want to look like a cyclist, you need to eat and train like a cyclist, not a rugby player.
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

User avatar
ShutUpLegs
Posts: 3519
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 19:07 pm

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby ShutUpLegs » Sat Nov 10, 2012 20:25 pm

Rugby build?
I Like Black Bikes

User avatar
cyco2
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 16:46 pm

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby cyco2 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 21:07 pm

You're probably one of those people who exercise consistently and not lose and oz. of weight. Well here's what you do. Stop eating rubbish food like crisps,sugar snacks (cakes & biscuits) and pies. Learn not to eat between meals. So you can ride use an energy drink. Only when you have got some discipline in your eating habits will you lose a few pounds. You do say you eat healthily. But do you really know what that means ?. Nearing 16 stone is telling a completely different story!!!!
...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.

User avatar
xcMuttley
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 17:05 pm

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby xcMuttley » Sat Nov 10, 2012 22:04 pm

Im eating a lot less than i should not entirely sure how much in kcal but cereals for breakfast, sandwich for lunch+fruit and then a healthy tea not red meats just chicken really(And lots of cous cous im getting sick of the stuff lol) I havnt eaten any crisps or biscuits cakes etc. in 3 months no unhealthy food just the good stuff and no eating between meals, I dont mean weighs more than fat i meant the density :p Very much a rugby build but my muscles in my legs wasted away a lot so im not so much of a rugby build anymore. I have only been out of a wheelchair for 3 months so please dont be to harsh my back is holding the excercise back a little but i am trying my hardest!! What excercise should i be doing then i thought what i was doing is what i should be doing?

User avatar
xcMuttley
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 17:05 pm

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby xcMuttley » Sat Nov 10, 2012 22:23 pm

Also cant have to many energy drinks the caffeine messes with my tablets pretty badly

jim453
Posts: 1365
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 16:03 pm

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby jim453 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 22:25 pm

Is there any particular reason why this guy is getting such a hostile reception?

Jesus, he's asking for help.

Write down what you're eating for a week and work out your daily intake of calories perhaps?

If you're using more than you're putting in, your weight will drop. If it doesn't, you are not using more than you're putting in.

Stay out of the gym. There's nothing for you there.

Don't give up.

OfficerDigby
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 09:56 am

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby OfficerDigby » Sat Nov 10, 2012 22:28 pm

Hi,
I think you should continue what you are doing, sounds like a good recovery to me well done.
Try to enjoy your riding. Probably try to train that long ride distance 50miles odd once a week say with a club
hopefully the back will improve (with the other stuff you do for it).
You can use the sportives and clubrides to see how you are progressing. Starting riding with other
is a good way to check where you are.

The weight obsession is not needed at this level IMO. You are 16! Cycling as far you say you will sort out
any weight issues over time.
If you want to change a few things then try going as fast as possible on a few rides, blasting up hills etc.

Might have to build up distances in the spring to cover yourself for typical sportive distance.

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Sun Nov 11, 2012 09:50 am

xcMuttley wrote:Im eating a lot less than i should not entirely sure how much in kcal but cereals for breakfast, sandwich for lunch+fruit and then a healthy tea not red meats just chicken really(And lots of cous cous im getting sick of the stuff lol) I havnt eaten any crisps or biscuits cakes etc. in 3 months no unhealthy food just the good stuff and no eating between meals, I dont mean weighs more than fat i meant the density :p Very much a rugby build but my muscles in my legs wasted away a lot so im not so much of a rugby build anymore. I have only been out of a wheelchair for 3 months so please dont be to harsh my back is holding the excercise back a little but i am trying my hardest!! What excercise should i be doing then i thought what i was doing is what i should be doing?


You should be doing none until you work out your BMR, and your calorie deficit.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calcu ... -equation/

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calcu ... weight.php


If you need to, plan out a few days in myfitnesspal or a similar app. Then and only then are you ready to choose exercise.

ChrisAOnABike
Posts: 1761
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:26 am

xcMuttley wrote:But my weight isnt going down, i have built up a lot of muscle as most of my muscles had wasted away whilst in the wheelchair

If you had lost a lot of muscle mass while you were injured, but now since you've been cycling you've built the muscle back, then if your weight hasn't changed much it's likely you've lost fat and gained muscle.

Sounds like whatever you're doing, it's having mostly the right result.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

fearby
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 17:07 pm

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby fearby » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:32 am

dw300 wrote:If you want to look like a cyclist, you need to eat and train like a cyclist, not a rugby player.


Agreed.

Fausto Coppi said the most important muscle for a cyclist is the forearm for waving the hand to refuse when someone offers you food. :)

User avatar
cyco2
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 16:46 pm

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby cyco2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 15:31 pm

xcMuttley wrote:Also cant have to many energy drinks the caffeine messes with my tablets pretty badly


Unfortunately when ever an energy drink is mentioned Red Bull comes to mind but in fact an energy drink does not need to contain caffeine, just a sugar. Which is a natural food where as caffeine is a stimulant of the nervous system and is definitely not an energy supplement. So, keep on your diet of healthy eating which if successful should enable you to lose weight without lifting a finger but to enjoy your cycling drink an energy only drink. Getting the balance right can be tricky due to at times low blood sugar levels (bonk) but with practice you should be able to get it right.
...................................................................................................



If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.

However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.

User avatar
dw300
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 19:48 pm

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby dw300 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 19:37 pm

fearby wrote:
dw300 wrote:If you want to look like a cyclist, you need to eat and train like a cyclist, not a rugby player.


Agreed.

Fausto Coppi said the most important muscle for a cyclist is the forearm for waving the hand to refuse when someone offers you food. :)


Precisely .. you want to eat the absolute minimum amount of food that allows you to recover for your next training sessions. And only when you know more or less how much that is should you be trying to eat 'the right foods' in order to tweak the macros.

If I had a pound for everyone that thought adding fruit and veg to their diet would help them loose weight I'd be rich. Well .. I'd have some nice wheels.
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

Barbarossa
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 13:18 pm

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby Barbarossa » Sun Nov 11, 2012 21:48 pm

xcMuttley wrote:?..a healthy tea not red meats just chicken really(And lots of cous cous im getting sick of the stuff lol)...


Cut down on the cous cous, pasta, rice, potatoes...?

User avatar
T.M.H.N.E.T
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 15:20 pm

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Mon Nov 12, 2012 04:27 am

Barbarossa wrote:
xcMuttley wrote:?..a healthy tea not red meats just chicken really(And lots of cous cous im getting sick of the stuff lol)...


Cut down on the cous cous, pasta, rice, potatoes...?

Why?

User avatar
xcMuttley
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 17:05 pm

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby xcMuttley » Mon Nov 12, 2012 22:46 pm

Dont understand the cutting down of the cous cous, pasta etc. surely i should be eating slightly more of them if anything? Did 45 miles today on my own in the pouring rain but i feel the better for it, everytime i begin to think how crap the weather is etc. i just think of how much i hated being in the wheelchair and how much better it feels to be out in the crap weather haha.
Thanks for all the help most of it has been useful, sounds like i just need to be strict with myself and do as much exercise on as little food as possible as i have been doing and eventually my weight will start to decrease heres hoping anyway!!

bobones
Posts: 601
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 14:11 pm

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby bobones » Tue Nov 13, 2012 00:00 am

What worked for me was to count calories on my iPhone using the American app "Lose It". I think the app "My Fitness Pal" does much the same thing. Basically, you tell the app your current height, weight, age, your target weight, how fast you want to lose weight (e.g. 1.5lbs per week) and the app gives you a daily calorie budget. You log your food intake and exercise calorie burn on the phone or website and try to stay within the budget. You log also your weight from time to time. It's really easy to do and becomes second nature, and you become really aware of how the calories mount up if you eat snacks or calorie dense food. If you're going over budget it makes you get out there and burn some calories on the bike to make up for it.

I lost a stone in 7 weeks and it didn't seem that hard. I had a calorie budget of around 1700 but I would typically eat 2300 calories but burn 500 cycling. This was back in April/May. I stopped using the app after a while and my weight is stable at around 11st4 down from 13+. I cycle around 150miles a week and eat pretty much what I want. Might be worth a try if you've got a phone that can run these apps.

Trev The Rev
Posts: 1005
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 09:10 am

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby Trev The Rev » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:35 am

bobones wrote:What worked for me was to count calories on my iPhone using the American app "Lose It". I think the app "My Fitness Pal" does much the same thing. Basically, you tell the app your current height, weight, age, your target weight, how fast you want to lose weight (e.g. 1.5lbs per week) and the app gives you a daily calorie budget. You log your food intake and exercise calorie burn on the phone or website and try to stay within the budget. You log also your weight from time to time. It's really easy to do and becomes second nature, and you become really aware of how the calories mount up if you eat snacks or calorie dense food. If you're going over budget it makes you get out there and burn some calories on the bike to make up for it.

I lost a stone in 7 weeks and it didn't seem that hard. I had a calorie budget of around 1700 but I would typically eat 2300 calories but burn 500 cycling. This was back in April/May. I stopped using the app after a while and my weight is stable at around 11st4 down from 13+. I cycle around 150miles a week and eat pretty much what I want. Might be worth a try if you've got a phone that can run these apps.


Does the app take into account the nutritional value and balance of the food consumed or calories only?

User avatar
xcMuttley
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 17:05 pm

Re: Weight loss after long injury

Postby xcMuttley » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks but unlike most people my age i dont own an iphone or a smart phone i would rather spend the money on my bikes i own just a cheap bog standard one, thanks anyway!!


Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests