Wiggins - National Disappointment

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
adr82

Re: Wiggins - National Disappointment

Postby adr82 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 21:07 pm

steerpike wrote:jeez adr82 stop being so *prickly* ! we get that you love Mr Wiggins ok?! Yes, we know that his ire was directed at *the photographers* but, as a 32 year old season pro (nay TDF winner) he shoulda/woulda known that his finger would be splashed across the nations breakfast tables - is Joe Public going to be so understanding?

Well yes, you would hope that any member of the public with a modest amount of intelligence would realise the background to the situation that the photograph was taken in and not instantly assume he was collectively telling the country to f*ck off! I'm not a blindly devoted fan of Wiggins or anything, I just have a lot of sympathy for people who find themselves inadvertently caught up in the disgusting 24/7 celebrity news cycle for which your beloved "Joe Public" is entirely responsible.

steerpike wrote:As for 'C*ntgate', I think most people could understand prickliness at being asked about doping at the end of a hard days racing. But he should be a little thicker skinned and worldy wise by now - there is a reason the doping question continually comes up and there is a reason cycling fans feel cynical and betrayed. He needs a little more self-awareness.

Again, I think you are finding it too easy to make judgements from a distance. It's one thing to sit there and say "Well if I was in situation X, I'd do Y instead of Z". When you're actually in situation X and have little or no time to think under pressure before you decide on Y or Z things could turn out rather differently.

TMR

Postby TMR » Sat Nov 10, 2012 21:35 pm

Secteur wrote:Well, I have held off posting this for a few weeks now, but after seeing Wiggins "giving the finger" to the press as he left hospital today, I feel compelled to post...

Wiggins is a good cyclist. Indeed, he's a great cyclist, and has achieved an incredible amount, but his antics off the road are embarrassing.

The finger today, the c-word at the TdF, the crap almost rude interviews, the constant "I hate all the attention" (dont compete and win big races then), and lets not mention the blue coat at the recent TdF presentation... Plus his famous "i was almost an alcoholic" phase and issues at Sky highlight his approach to life (though I admit, he changed his ways and "lived the life of a cyclist" over last Winter and showed major dedication, which has to be admired).

I feel more than ever that Chris Froome would have been a better "first British winner of a grand tour / TdF" and would been have a far more dignified and gracious champion.

I really cant stand Wiggins now and it he just seems unable to be gracious in public. I dont just support a winner, I support the man, and I just cant bring myself to support this man anymore.

there's enough cyclist hatred as it is, and him giving the finger to the waiting press after leaving hospital today will do immesurable damage to his and cyclists reputations amongst many.

I logged in to reply to this because your post has pissed me off TBH. I think you need to get over yourself. He doesn't owe you a thing. He can say and do as he likes, it's his life not yours. He is under no obligation to behave in any way other than how he chooses to, certainly not in any way that cycling fans think he should. You don't own him and neither does anyone else. Give the guy a break FFS.

I doubt anyone with any common sense will have looked at the photos of him leaving hospital and thought anything other than 'Good for him - f*cking photographers getting in his face when he's just broke his ribs.'

Seriously :roll:
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

itisaboutthebike

Postby itisaboutthebike » Sun Nov 11, 2012 23:01 pm

titillation

(about the 10th post)

Sorry - Badley doesn't arouse any titilation in me I'm afraid. VP yes - Whingo er no.
Bye bye Patty boy - you scumbag !

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Mon Nov 12, 2012 08:19 am

steerpike wrote:Now I'd be the last person to suggest we hold footballers up as examples of rounded sportsmen, but can you imagine if Steven Gerrard had called football fans ' a bunch of c***s'?? He'd be signing his own death warrant.

Did nt seem to do Mr Rooney's career any harm after his outburst at the World Cup now did it..?
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Rodrego Hernandez

Postby Rodrego Hernandez » Mon Nov 12, 2012 09:37 am

I've met him and spoke to him on the phone and he's just a normal bloke.

If I consider how grumpy I get when in a crowded situation like a busy bar or a queue or even after a bike race I think he's pretty well restrained. The British press are a pretty disgraceful bunch, especially when chasing 'celebrities' so fair play to him for giving them the finger. He's just a bike rider and is trying to lead a normal life.

Flasher

Postby Flasher » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:14 am

ddraver wrote:
steerpike wrote:Now I'd be the last person to suggest we hold footballers up as examples of rounded sportsmen, but can you imagine if Steven Gerrard had called football fans ' a bunch of c***s'?? He'd be signing his own death warrant.

Did nt seem to do Mr Rooney's career any harm after his outburst at the World Cup now did it..?

Things are getting bad when you start being compared to Rooney!

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:04 pm

What, Global sportstar, guarenteed National and domestic place assured?

Sucks!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Harley35

Postby Harley35 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 14:05 pm

TailWindHome wrote:Wow his fingers are really long. Like creepy long.

:shock:

Daz555

Postby Daz555 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 14:45 pm

confused@BR wrote:.......to those desperate to be 'disappointed'.

Lock em in a dark room with the "I'm so offended" brigade.
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

sjmclean

Postby sjmclean » Mon Nov 12, 2012 17:27 pm

Why has the opening post not mentioned David Millar. I'm a big fan of Millar and the work he seems to be doing but if you use the logic of the opening post Millar is an national travesty: he swears in interviews, he had the whole Landis episode etc and also he doped. It just seems the OP is one of the people in cycling who seem to want to hate Wiggins because he has a bit of personality and doesn't just go around answering generic Pr man answers to questions by an ever intrusive media.

When he broke his collar bone how many "paps" were there outside the hospital waiting for a shot of him, or how many front covers did he get on then? None I would imagine, so he has every right to feel that he shouldnt care about these people who only actually want anything to do with him now hes successful.

Also whats all the fuss about him wearing a blue jacket?

HE is very engaging, see him interview post Paris-Nice, he seamlessly switches between French and English to answer questions. The man is an athlete not a TV star.

inkyfingers

Postby inkyfingers » Mon Nov 12, 2012 18:00 pm

Don't want to get into the discussion on this thread, but I was reminded about the interview that Wiggins gave to ITV outside the hospital after he'd crashed out of the 2011 tour, where he looked much happier than you would have expected and he said it was due to the painkillers he'd been given.
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

Flasher

Postby Flasher » Mon Nov 12, 2012 18:10 pm

sjmclean wrote:When he broke his collar bone how many "paps" were there outside the hospital waiting for a shot of him, or how many front covers did he get on then? None I would imagine, so he has every right to feel that he shouldnt care about these people who only actually want anything to do with him now hes successful.

Well ITV were there and interviewed him in the hospital car park, why the anger at the 'paps' how are they to know what reception they may or may not get, Wiggins is news whether he likes it or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL3_qGQ0mYk

Return to “Pro Race”