Which headset cartridge/bearings?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
andyeb

Which headset cartridge/bearings?

Postby andyeb » Mon Nov 12, 2012 13:57 pm

Headset has gone after 4000 miles - I've tightened it twice, but I now have to tighten it to the point the steering becomes stiff before it stops rocking.

However I don't know what bearings I'm supposed to buy. The spec sheet for my bike (a 2011 Jamis Ventura Comp) lists the headset as:

FSA Integrated, threadless, 1 1/8”

No idea whether I need to buy a new cartridge, a handful of bearings, or a complete new headset in the event I can't find the right bearings or cartridge.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

thanks,

Andrew

owenlars

Re: Which headset cartridge/bearings?

Postby owenlars » Mon Nov 12, 2012 15:38 pm

I'd go and show it to your LBS if I were you. There are so any different types and sizes it's best to get someone to cast
an eye across it

andyeb

Postby andyeb » Sat Dec 01, 2012 21:10 pm

Quick update on this...

I eventually got the headset bearings out of the frame, only to find they were completely unmarked. I took them into my local branch of Evans Cycles (where I bought the bike) and the mechanic looked at them and said it would take at least 2 weeks to order them in from the manufacturer, as they didn't have any like that in stock. Not that he checked, but anyway.

So I emailed Evans customer support asking what product they would recommend. They said they don't stock just the bearings but if I replaced the whole headset (including bearings) then this would do the job:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fsa ... t-ec007331

Frustrated, I ponied up for this and paid for express delivery in the hopes my road bike wouldn't be out of action for too much longer. It arrived today, got the bike up on the stand and hey presto, the bearings don't even fit in the frame - they are fractionally too large. Despite the fact both the product above and the spec sheet for my bike state it's a 1 1/8 inch integrated headset.

So basically, Jamis are shipping bikes out the door with el-cheapo, non-standard parts which are problematic to replace once they wear out.

So for now I've put the old bearings back in again and have just about managed to get the headset tight enough to ride again. But not at all happy.

markos1963

Postby markos1963 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 15:03 pm

There is no such thing as a non standard bearing as almost all bearings are different. To blame Jamis for this is a bit harsh. Perhaps your gripe should be with Evans for not supplying the right information. Why don't you take the bearings to a bearing factor and get them to have a look. Most are standard off the shelf stuff anyway and they can usually supply them to you for a fraction of the cost a shop will. I used to do this with my motorbike head bearings and such.

crankycrank

Postby crankycrank » Sun Dec 02, 2012 15:15 pm

Chances are they sold you a headset that fits but the bearings are not interchangable. You need to install the entire headset. It's not unusual to find different bearing types in headsets designed to fit in the same fork/headtube size. Even FSA uses different type bearings for different models of their headsets. Most bike shops will not charge too much to install it if you bring the bike in with the fork undone already, call around for labor charges or Evans may do it cheaply since you bought it there. 4K miles for a headset is not acceptable IMO. Have you contacted Jamis directly? They may provide you with a replacement. Go directly to the US site if you get no satisfaction from your local distributor. Sounds like your lack of headset knowledge is a big source of your frustration. Read here for some good info before doing anything else. http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... -standards Make sure everything is installed correctly first as you may have another problem.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”