Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Richmond Racer

Re: Are Pro-Cyclists uncommonly stupid?

Postby Richmond Racer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 17:54 pm

This has to be up there as one of the most unbelievably patronising OP + thread titles ever

mike6

Postby mike6 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 19:01 pm

Pro cyclists seem, by and large, to be fairly cleaver. Most of them speak at least two languages, through necessity.
If you consider most do not have English as a first language but still manage to do interviews to Sky or ch4. Then skip to another language to give info to another national station, Its pretty impressive.

Footballers, on the other hand, mostly come over as thick and inarticulate and speak in cliche. "We need to get a result" What douse that mean? Losing 4-0 is a result, is it not? If you consider that some of the foreign imports do better and more incisive interviews in, English, than most of the home born players.

jerry3571

Postby jerry3571 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 19:50 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:This has to be up there as one of the most unbelievably patronising OP + thread titles ever

I have heard on many occassions that a lot of Cyclists aren't the sharpest tools in the box otherwise they wouldn't be riding bikes to make money? Traditionally, Professional Cyclists came from Mining and Agriculture where Education was a low priority. Riding a bike was to escape a life of complete poverty and over work. I think this may be where the tradition of saying that Cyclists weren't well educated has come from. I must be honest; the sport is a sport of the working classes and is only now being taken up by the rest of society. If it was a sport of the Upper Classes then this label would be much different.

My work is a manual kind of work and, to be honest, the people in my trade (me included) wouldn't be the brightest of the bunch otherwise we would get better jobs. It's kind of logical. Anyone thinking that I choose to do my kind of work is taking the p1ss.

Jerry

Neale1978

Postby Neale1978 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 21:55 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:This has to be up there as one of the most unbelievably patronising OP + thread titles ever

Oh yes

Cleat Eastwood

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Sun Nov 11, 2012 22:13 pm

When cyclists have been interviewed on eurosport I've only ever heard them sound like David Harmon - so yeah, a bit thick. :D
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Neale1978

Postby Neale1978 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 22:38 pm

Tbh its a 'bit thick' to judge a mans complete level of intelligence solely from sketchy tv interviews.. Most of which are probably done when they are pooped dear boy. Bad form.
Last edited by Neale1978 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 23:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itisaboutthebike

Postby itisaboutthebike » Sun Nov 11, 2012 22:48 pm

There's a good article that examines Rooney's genius somewhere

Well, he may not be very articulate, and will never be a brain surgeon, but 250k big ones a week says he's doing something reet.
Bye bye Patty boy - you scumbag !

pottssteve

Postby pottssteve » Mon Nov 12, 2012 05:16 am

I don't understand the question. It has too many long words in it...
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

esafosfina

Postby esafosfina » Mon Nov 12, 2012 14:54 pm

To be frank I find it a bit offensive... it's a sweeping statement and to generalise in such a manner is disingenuous. I'm an ex-professional cyclist with a Bachelor's Degree and a yet to be completed Masters. Whilst I accept that 'traditionally' many professional riders were from backgrounds where education was a secondary aspect, many I raced with and against were graduates, and had 'smarts'...

Educated people make some incredibly insensitive and foolish comments too; so the premise that because some riders have mouthed off/opined in a thoughtless manner does not make them 'thick'...

Right, hopping off my soapbox now... (where did I put my Ladybird Book of Big Words...?)

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 16:10 pm

esafosfina wrote:To be frank I find it a bit offensive... it's a sweeping statement and to generalise in such a manner is disingenuous. I'm an ex-professional cyclist with a Bachelor's Degree and a yet to be completed Masters. Whilst I accept that 'traditionally' many professional riders were from backgrounds where education was a secondary aspect, many I raced with and against were graduates, and had 'smarts'...

Educated people make some incredibly insensitive and foolish comments too; so the premise that because some riders have mouthed off/opined in a thoughtless manner does not make them 'thick'...

Right, hopping off my soapbox now... (where did I put my Ladybird Book of Big Words...?)

Nice one, Esa....I was hoping you'd post on this.

Dolan Driver

Postby Dolan Driver » Mon Nov 12, 2012 17:54 pm

Laurent Fignon wasn't exactly thick. Robert Millar has proven himself to be another rider of some intelligence, both on the bike and in his writings. Sean Kelly might have left school early but he is, as we say here in Ireland, a "Cute Hoor", which, roughly translated, means he is a shrewd operator. Every walk of life has a few people of lower intelligence, except perhaps the area of rocket science, but there is nothing to suggest professional cyclists are any more dense than the rest of us.

Wiggins flipping the bird at the papparazi = an indication of a particularly high IQ. I rest my case. :lol:

DD.

jawooga

Postby jawooga » Mon Nov 12, 2012 18:33 pm

I think you mean condescending :wink:

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 18:37 pm

jawooga wrote:

Yeah, that too. Can think of a few other additional adjectives.

jawooga

Postby jawooga » Mon Nov 12, 2012 18:40 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:
jawooga wrote:

Sorry couldn't resist being a patronizing fool myself.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 18:45 pm

jawooga wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:
jawooga wrote:

Sorry couldn't resist being a patronizing fool myself.

Ah. *fills up on coffee to stay more alert*

jerry3571

Postby jerry3571 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 20:20 pm

I think it's tricky to say that riders are dumb especially these days as race radios have put a stop to riders having their say on the road. Some might be cheeky enough to suggest Race Radios might have been brought in to minimise any chance of brainless tactics by riders. I think cycling draws in similar people who would be otherwise be using sport as a way to out of a mundane existance. You don't see many from Eaton or Harrow on 30k a year dragging a Peloton up the Col de la Croix de Fer. If they had a good job lined up then they'd be doing that.

This is not to say that riders are dumb but I'd say they ain't Rocket Scientists otherwise they'd be making Rockets.

It's a shame really as a lot of rogue bike riders used to make crazy attacks which made no sense. Chiapucci was a man with very little tacticle nouse. I think Johnny Hoogerpand is said to ride without his earpeice and brain turned on sometimes.

This question of whether bike riders are dumb is a question from the past. I've heard this on numerous occassions by Commentators or writers. I have done road racing on the amateur side and have wondered why riders drag me along for me to outsprint most of them at the finish.

Jerry

Ps- I'm enjoying being cheeky on this one. ;)

hammerite

Postby hammerite » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:52 am

You have to remember that cyclists and most professional sports people are at the top of their game in their 20s and early 30s. Regardless of anyone's intelligence or academic achievements it's probably not the best time to judge someone by what they say, most people aren't at their wisest in their 20s! My OH (not in her 20s) has a PhD, doesn't stop her from talking like a numpty occasionally even and she rarely has to answer questions off the hoof by reporters

I think you only have to look at the number of ex riders (and other sports people in general) who are doing well for themselves to answer this question. It seems there are a lot of cyclists and sports people in general who when they retire (generally they don't have millions in the bank to fall back on or invest) manage to engineer a pretty decent looking business for themselves. So I'd say that pro cyclists and other sports people are generally anything but stupid.

Perhaps judging them while they're competing from the information we get through the media isn't the best time to do so.

Yellow Peril

Postby Yellow Peril » Wed Nov 14, 2012 07:03 am

I wouldn't call it 'being thick' but there is a certain dullness in the eyes of Wilko and Bibby that leads me to believe that they have a far higher pain threshold than me. Proper hard men.

Anyone who gets to ride a bike for a living is far smarter than me and I bet most of us would trade places at the drop of a hat.

ShinyHelmut

Postby ShinyHelmut » Wed Nov 14, 2012 07:40 am

Yellow Peril wrote:I wouldn't call it 'being thick' but there is a certain dullness in the eyes of Wilko and Bibby that leads me to believe that they have a far higher pain threshold than me. Proper hard men.

Anyone who gets to ride a bike for a living is far smarter than me and I bet most of us would trade places at the drop of a hat.

I definitely wouldn't. I love riding my bike but I'm also very glad it's just a hobby.

rickyrider

Postby rickyrider » Wed Nov 14, 2012 13:10 pm

ShinyHelmut wrote:
Yellow Peril wrote:I wouldn't call it 'being thick' but there is a certain dullness in the eyes of Wilko and Bibby that leads me to believe that they have a far higher pain threshold than me. Proper hard men.

I definitely wouldn't. I love riding my bike but I'm also very glad it's just a hobby.

Second that. It's a lifestyle that wouldn't suit many people for sure. No way I'd want all the crap that goes with being a pro

Return to “Pro Race”