Silly commuting racing

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Asprilla

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Asprilla » Mon Nov 12, 2012 09:40 am

First day back on Embankment in 10 months.

That was meh. Legs like lead and horrible traffic.

Also, was about 5c warmer than Countryfile informed me it would be. Damn you John Craven.

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Mon Nov 12, 2012 09:42 am

cjcp wrote:@GB - check the wheels are and bars and saddle haven't been knocked off centre. And have some chocolate :)

Will do, I think that's what's happened actually, just not sure how to tell, but will sort it :) - lemon yoghurt for me :) ooh - spies chocolate in the office and heads over there... :P Excuses!
Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

tetm

Postby tetm » Mon Nov 12, 2012 09:47 am

Morning to Scotster & Quivers. I'm guessing that was you on the Boardman with the roadkill on your lid from the pic in Strava, which says we rode with each other. Today was far too busy to have any fun, and just wasn't worth winding it up for the unpredictable nature and sheer volume of numpties that were on the roads. Grumble.

iPete

Postby iPete » Mon Nov 12, 2012 09:48 am

Green Brompton wrote:
cjcp wrote:@GB - check the wheels are and bars and saddle haven't been knocked off centre. And have some chocolate :)

Will do, I think that's what's happened actually, just not sure how to tell, but will sort it :) - lemon yoghurt for me :) ooh - spies chocolate in the office and heads over there... :P Excuses!

If it's a roadie check out the lever alignment, they can twist around easily in a knock... and send some chocolate this way!

pitchshifter

Postby pitchshifter » Mon Nov 12, 2012 09:50 am

Green Brompton wrote:I was behind a cyclist heading in this morning, had been following them in since LRR, we got to the Embankment, stopped at Albert Bridge, I went up couldn't get passed them so stayed behind, the lights went, so we all went out then after about 10/20 yards they buckled, their chain went and somehow he fell down... who was behind them and had nowhere to go other than crash down with them? I was. Banged my head (luckily had helmet), grazed and hurt the right side of me, and was left in a little shock. I think my bike is OK, although feels a little different (!?!).

He said his chain came off? If your bike is in that bad a condition, get it serviced.
I left the scene, cycled off and cried, had a breathing panic attack whilst cycling, and just feel a bit in shock and stung! Poor me. :(

Having a cup of tea.

Never pleasant to go down, what ever the circumstances. Give your bike a good looking over before setting off home.

Chin up.

Edit: Yep as above :lol:

Wrath Rob

Postby Wrath Rob » Mon Nov 12, 2012 09:52 am

iPete wrote:
Green Brompton wrote:

If it's a roadie check out the lever alignment, they can twist around easily in a knock... and send some chocolate this way!

This. Though save the chocolate for another time. I won a massive jar of sweets at a vendor do on Thursday and the remnants are slowing raising the blood sugar levels of my co-workers in my office.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Mon Nov 12, 2012 09:59 am

Thanks everyone, I will get the OH to have a look, as he knows a lot more about bikes than I do, but he doesn't have a RB, so will tell him to check the above - I will watch and learn :) My chain was knocked into the lower gear with the impact, and although the bike doesn't seem too bad, it doesn't feel quite right.

Chocolate, there were 3 measly Maltesers left. 3?! I'll get some for the ride home as I may be taking my time with a sore right leg!

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:01 am

First commute in with the rack and pannier on as an experiment, speed not that much lower and as long as I resist the urge to cram it full of stuff it doesn't affect the handling too much. My temperature balance is a lot better now, no longer cold front hot back or warm front boiling back and the feeling like cr@p that comes with that.

The roads are full of numpties though who don't shoulder check and don't stick to a reasonable line.
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

Keyser__Soze

Postby Keyser__Soze » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:03 am

Even well-maintained and replaced chains can break suddenly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIW1MAvyPD4 anyone? :)
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:07 am

Keyser__Soze wrote:Even well-maintained and replaced chains can break suddenly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIW1MAvyPD4 anyone? :)

Yeah, he didn't seem like an idiot. It didn't look as though it had snapped when I glanced at it. Think it had just come off / slipped. How or why he fell I have no idea.

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

willy b

Postby willy b » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:12 am

cjcp wrote:That would be Edds...

Well good pace Edds 8)

whitebait01

Postby whitebait01 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:15 am

Seems to be a dodgy time for us SCRers, stay safe everyone!

I've got one bloody gear slipping and it's really irritating... Think I need a new cassette, might get new cables as well as I just can't get the bloody thing to index quite right, the higher (harder) the gear, the less willing it is to shift to it.

Also, dead legs on a Monday is a bad sign. Too much food, fags and beers back home this weekend...
Ribble Audax - FCN 5
Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3

mozejo

Postby mozejo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:15 am

@GB - personally I'd take the afternoon off - I think you might find you feel worse later on when the adrenalin wears off . Took me 2-3 days to get over my spill last week ( and my bike is still being fixed !)

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:24 am

mozejo wrote:@GB - personally I'd take the afternoon off - I think you might find you feel worse later on when the adrenalin wears off . Took me 2-3 days to get over my spill last week ( and my bike is still being fixed !)

Chocolate and the afternoon off, this is turning into a good day! Ha. No, feel a bit unfocussed and head is a bit drowsy, so I must be absolutely fine!

Hope your bike recovers :)

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

notsoblue

Postby notsoblue » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:39 am

Sorry to hear about the accident GB, hope you get everything straightened out and running smoothly again soon.

Nice ride in on the Day 01 this morning. Got passed by Jonginge and King Donut.

Tried to put up a bit of a fight at VB. Managed to flank out and avoid the melee leaving from the lights, and accelerated up until I span out at 28. The gearing and a heavy pannier are convenient excuses.

I counted 25 bikes stopped at the King's Road lights this morning at 8:30. Incredible.

MrSweary

Postby MrSweary » Mon Nov 12, 2012 14:17 pm

First day in on the new bike (Felt Z85) and I loved every minute (surprise!). It was also my first commute in cleats.

The bike accelerates really well and it was a great feeling to surge past people on the Embankment this morning - of course I didn't do all the surging but I had nice little to and fros with a few people. Traffic wasn't much fun though and a guy nearly got wiped out by a left turning motorbike at Vauxhall bridge - good reactions from that man and the 4 or so of us behind you!

Also thanks to the guy giving warnings about all the debris outside the Walkabout.
Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0

cyclingprop

Postby cyclingprop » Mon Nov 12, 2012 15:57 pm

Green Brompton wrote:
Keyser__Soze wrote:Even well-maintained and replaced chains can break suddenly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIW1MAvyPD4 anyone? :)

Yeah, he didn't seem like an idiot. It didn't look as though it had snapped when I glanced at it. Think it had just come off / slipped. How or why he fell I have no idea.

My tactical dismount last year was chain related (wasn't on my bike though). It slipped off the 50t to the smaller one (tech terms I know) while I was "sprinting", and the resulting momentum change was enough for me to near roll at about 28 mph.

PS: keep riding you'll be fine.
What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Mon Nov 12, 2012 16:12 pm

cyclingprop wrote:
Green Brompton wrote:

My tactical dismount last year was chain related (wasn't on my bike though). It slipped off the 50t to the smaller one (tech terms I know) while I was "sprinting", and the resulting momentum change was enough for me to near roll at about 28 mph.

Yeah, it's not like he was riding like a tool, and could help it. I think it's where it happened that shook me the most, as it's so chocker and the vehicles are always fighting for lanes / spaces as they come over through the lights, even the other guy said I'm glad it was you and not the truck that came into me! :shock:

I'm alright, just the adrenaline making me react like a numpty!

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

roger merriman

Postby roger merriman » Mon Nov 12, 2012 18:29 pm

Green Brompton wrote:
cyclingprop wrote:
Green Brompton wrote:

Yeah, it's not like he was riding like a tool, and could help it. I think it's where it happened that shook me the most, as it's so chocker and the vehicles are always fighting for lanes / spaces as they come over through the lights, even the other guy said I'm glad it was you and not the truck that came into me! :shock:

May find the odd bruise etc places, nice hot bath - glass of wine be sorted with luck.

Don't forget any good bruises need photos! I had a cracker last year when someone ran into my leg in Richmond Park.

Green Brompton

Postby Green Brompton » Mon Nov 12, 2012 19:48 pm

roger merriman wrote:
Green Brompton wrote:
cyclingprop wrote:
Green Brompton wrote:

May find the odd bruise etc places, nice hot bath - glass of wine be sorted with luck.

Don't forget any good bruises need photos! I had a cracker last year when someone ran into my leg in Richmond Park.

Bruises cooking up nicely, pretty big one on the thigh. Wine in hand... bath had... You SCR guys are great because you recommend only the nice things in life!!

The handlebar was off centre, so we sorted that, otherwise I think all is OK, but the cassette may have taken a knock... I'm sure I'll find out at some unsuspecting moment!

Back to SCR, saw three quick guys heading west towards the end of the Embankment tonight around 6:30 maybe, one of the guys had green trousers on, which is rare - anyone here? You all looked nifty, in control and suave! I nipped on the wheel, but lost you heading over the bridge on NKR... Traffic was annoying me tonight. Think I'm turning into an old grump. Boo.

Brompton SL2
Ridley Icarus SLS

Return to “Commuting Chat”