Save Newsnight!

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
alfablue

Save Newsnight!

Postby alfablue » Tue Nov 13, 2012 08:11 am

Yes, there have been a few ****ups, however Newsnight is the best news analysis programme on TV in the UK (if not the world).

To be cutting edge, there are risks; the genuine revelations and truths that this programme has brought to public attention over the years would only come about with the editorial freedom and independence that have been afforded. The cost of this will be some errors. If they played it safe, it would end up as no more insightful than your average TV news bulletin.

Indeed, things go wrong when these are compromised (I suspect that the dropping of the Saville investigation may turn out to have been due to external pressures; the Lord McAlpine debacle occurrred after experienced editors "stepped aside" and there was probably a perceived imperative to make sure child abuse stories came to air after the Saville one was surpressed).

So don't let Newsnight be the next head to roll, it will not serve broadcasting, society or our democracy to lose this programme.

Gazzaputt

Re: Save Newsnight!

Postby Gazzaputt » Tue Nov 13, 2012 08:37 am

You I cannot believe how this is all front page news. BBC are feeding off it themselves. BBC seem so bloody self important.

It's so unimportant it's unreal. They f*cked up end of move on.

I say end license fee and make the BBC stand on it's own feet.

Newsnights future? Do I care? No.

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Tue Nov 13, 2012 08:50 am

:wink: Thank you

GiantMike

Postby GiantMike » Tue Nov 13, 2012 09:15 am

I like a lot of the BBC's output, but the BBC's coverage of the BBC is very annoying. The BBC's recent 'incidents' are not headline news.

One thing that has really annoyed me is that when the BBC tries to interview BBC executives they are often 'not available for comment'. How the f*ck does that work? The BBC tries to report on the BBC and BBC executives (who potentially have the most to offer) refuse to comment. Either it is a story or it isn't.
my power improvement experiment blog

Rule number 100: It's your bike and your money and your time; do what you like with it and ignore other peoples' rules. Except this one.

OffTheBackAdam

Postby OffTheBackAdam » Tue Nov 13, 2012 09:18 am

Testicles! , The BBC has become but part of the left's propaganda machine.

GiantMike

Postby GiantMike » Tue Nov 13, 2012 09:32 am

OffTheBackAdam wrote:The BBC has become but part of the left's propaganda machine.

What? Really? Examples?

Rule number 100: It's your bike and your money and your time; do what you like with it and ignore other peoples' rules. Except this one.

laurentian

Postby laurentian » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:10 am

What I don't get is that Newsnight are being grilled for a programme they DID NOT RUN and, more recently, for the incorrect exposure of a man THEY DID NOT NAME.

Waste of time when they could be pursuing the real miscreants in this saga.
Wilier Izoard XP

MaxwellBygraves

Postby MaxwellBygraves » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:13 am

The Daily Mash nails it: http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 2111348731

OffTheBackAdam wrote:Testicles! , The BBC has become but part of the left's propaganda machine.

Hahaha.
"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer

finchy

Postby finchy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:46 am

Anyone who wants the licence fee ended should watch TV in other countries and see just how good the BBC is in general. Alternatively look at the commercial channels available in the UK or the newspapers.

Mind you, the fee is way too high, especially to pay for the salaries of the likes of Alan Shearer.

pb21

Postby pb21 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:50 am

OffTheBackAdam wrote:Testicles! , The BBC has become but part of the left's propaganda machine.

Eh?!

To me they are becoming Tory apologists, they certainly seem to be getting an easy ride at the moment, particularly Ewan Davies on Today.

bianchimoon

Postby bianchimoon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:56 am

johnfinch wrote:Anyone who wants the licence fee ended should watch TV in other countries and see just how good the BBC is in general. Alternatively look at the commercial channels available in the UK or the newspapers.

Mind you, the fee is way too high, especially to pay for the salaries of the likes of Alan Shearer.

I agree, so called football experts/pundits should be paying the BBC to go on shows for the amount of publicity they receive that keeps them in the public eye and therefore ensures more work/endorsement offers
Religion is capable of driving people to such dangerous folly that faith seems to me to qualify as a kind of mental illness - RD

sfichele

Postby sfichele » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:26 pm

Strange, I thought it was infiltrated with Tory money makers, who have a stranglehold on it, which is why the BBC have been very, very quiet about the privatisation, and dismantling of the NHS.

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:30 pm

GiantMike wrote:One thing that has really annoyed me is that when the BBC tries to interview BBC executives they are often 'not available for comment'. How the f*ck does that work? The BBC tries to report on the BBC and BBC executives (who potentially have the most to offer) refuse to comment. Either it is a story or it isn't.
Actually, this very issue is a sign of the quality of BBC journalism; they are prepared to treat interviewees with the same rigour whether or not they work for the BBC. The fact that executives are sometimes unavailable reflects the "mauling" that good BBC journalists will give them. See for example, John Humphries' interview of George Entwistle, which is regarded by many as a pivotal moment leading directly to his resignation.

If only other media organisations would subject themselves so such rigorous scrutiny!

-spider-

Postby -spider- » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:38 pm

Is it possible, that in all this coverage of the BBC itself, there is an attempt to move the issue away from the real story?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
-Spider-

GiantMike

Postby GiantMike » Tue Nov 13, 2012 13:08 pm

-spider- wrote:Is it possible, that in all this coverage of the BBC itself, there is an attempt to move the issue away from the real story?

The REAL story? Go on.....

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Tue Nov 13, 2012 14:26 pm

GiantMike wrote:
-spider- wrote:Is it possible, that in all this coverage of the BBC itself, there is an attempt to move the issue away from the real story?

Well d'uh.... Space aliens. :roll: :lol:
Faster than a tent.......

Tom Butcher

Postby Tom Butcher » Tue Nov 13, 2012 15:59 pm

I'm sure you both know what he means - the fact that child abuse appears to have been brushed under the carpet on a large scale coupled with long term rumours of involvement of well known figures in the British establishment - the stuff that MP Tom Watson believes he has evidence for.
------------------------
it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

rebs

Postby rebs » Tue Nov 13, 2012 17:27 pm

Sad thing about all this is Newspapers do a similar screw up its all just *Shrug* then move on. Then its the same papers that are feeding the fire. Such a joke. Massive non story.

-spider-

Postby -spider- » Tue Nov 13, 2012 20:03 pm

Rolf F wrote:
GiantMike wrote:

Well d'uh.... Space aliens. :roll: :lol:

Well no, Rolf F, - I don't think d'uh.... Space aliens. :roll: :P

Have a read of some of Tom Watson's stuff - perhaps, maybe, there's a possibility that potentially that there is a chance of a cover up going on. Coverage of the North Wales scandal and Jimmy Saville's outrageous behaviour has been pushed from the front pages.

Try this for starters - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 24702.html

or this - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/to ... er-1417353

GiantMike - I think that might be the real story.

Personally - I don't trust the BBC (not sure about Tom Watson yet).
-----------------------------------------------------------------

-Spider-

Frank the tank

Postby Frank the tank » Tue Nov 13, 2012 20:37 pm

I find the BBC to be an oganisation that seems to irk the government (of whatever political persuasion) this to me is a good thing.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Return to “The Cake Stop”