advice please on what packable waterproof to buy...

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
hubba

advice please on what packable waterproof to buy...

Postby hubba » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:55 am

i've been looking around for the last hour cal me stupid but i can't seem to find anything which fits the bill.

i have just a plain road bike with a under saddle bag for tube . small lock, tyre levers and a bit of loose change for a coffee stop., pump and water bottle on bike. now when i go out riding i dress for the weather at that time (and sometimes get it really wrong and either end up cold, wet or to hot).

i think what i'm looking for is a waterproof coat that folds up and can be put into the back pocket of a cycling top, but here is the but somthing which at reasonable price not costing the next mortage payment to purchase it !. is there such a thing ????.

i read reviews on windproof packable, and waterproof, but not waterproof packable which is on the budget end of the scale cost wise.

any help greatly apreciated for a simpleton wanting to get out without getting wet and don't have panniers or extra storage.
Cube Sl Road for sale
wanted Steel or titanium Touring / audax / sportif frame or complete bike.

noiseboyfeetman

Re: advice please on what packable waterproof to buy...

Postby noiseboyfeetman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:12 am

This article was originally in C+ and i'm sure it was originally titled best packable waterproofs, as a result I purchased the Sportful Hotpack 4 which packs down into a nice small pocket sized package which easily fits it a jersey pocket with plenty of room to spare.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/best-packable-cycling-jackets-33565/

LegendLust

Postby LegendLust » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:32 am

I recently bought a Mavic h20 Infinity jacket. http://www.mavic.com/en/product/apparel ... H2O-Jacket

It's a superb bit of kit, cut really well with some nice details. Have to say the few bits of Mavic clothing I've bought have been brilliant (their helmets are very good too) - well up there with Assos and Rapha. Only problem is getting hold of them.

Thing is you can get cheap waterproof jackets, but they'll not be very breathable. The more you spend, the less of a 'boil in the bag' feeling you'll get!

carrock

Postby carrock » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:57 am

I have bought cheap packable jackets in the past and it is like wearing a bin bag. There is no way round it- if you want waterproof, cheap and breathable, you can pick 2 out of 3.

I shelled out for an Altura Pocket Rocket, which has now been superceded by the Flite ( which my wife has ) http://www.altura.eu/products/men/water ... acket.aspx

Both jackets are breathable and highly water resistant ( I have yet to find an item of clothing that is waterproof due to zips, cuffs etc although the material itself claims to be )

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:58 am

Search for race cape or rain cape. They are designed to fold up small enough to fit in your back pocket and are so light you forget they are there.

You can often get them clear as well so you coloured stuff underneath is still on show (if that is important to you).
Yellow is the new Black.

carrock

Postby carrock » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:06 pm

the below site is helpful for describing the differences between 2, 2.5 and 3 layer waterproof fabric. Altura Flite is 2.5 layer, as I suspect is most quality packable waterproofs

http://www.blacks.co.uk/ed/how-rainwear-works.html

Return to “Road Buying Advice”