'Twitter Taliban'

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
ddraver

Re: 'Twitter Taliban'

Postby ddraver » Mon Nov 12, 2012 22:29 pm

Perhaps it might have something to do with the non-stop criticism he get's off of her and her brethren..?

Classic Twitter Taliban behaviour! I'd get all self-righteous if it was nt so darned hypocritical! ;)
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 22:30 pm

ddraver wrote:Perhaps it might have something to do with the non-stop criticism he get's off of her and her brethren..?

Classic Twitter Taliban behaviour! I'd get all self-righteous if it was nt so darned hypocritical! ;)

Quite. *shrugs* *rolls eyes*

TMR

Postby TMR » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:31 am

So why has Millar stopped using Twitter?
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

merinotop

Postby merinotop » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:39 am

Fran Millar's twitter said it was because he was spending too much time there. Cath Wiggins has also left, I hope not due to abuse.

Slim Boy Fat

Postby Slim Boy Fat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:03 am

mr_poll wrote:The twitterati's darling David Millar decided to close his twitter account, who knows why. Within hours this gets retweeted by our favourite female cycling fan:

drhysc: @festinagirl right when cycling needs a strong public voice @millarmind leaves twitter? I don't get it. @omerta

Such loyalty. Love the way that leaving twitter means the end of his views, what did we do before it?

My reply to her.

@festinagirl Maybe if the twitter taliban weren't such c***s it wouldn't happen?

The anonymity of the interwebz is it's biggest failing. Most of the conflict you see around the web probably wouldn't happen if the protagonists were sat down the pub having a few pints. They would probably get on swimmingly.

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:05 am

Well, reading betweenthe lines, I would suggest that they started as a quick and easy way to connect with fans like us and to raise ther profile a bit (let's be honest). Instead they ve been met with people picking their tweets apart to the nth degree looking for any possible negative spin they can put on it and they ve got better things to do than argue with an annonomous nobody.

I'm genuinely trying to think which riders now post even semi regularly, and even more so, which riders tweet about cycling. I can think of only Millar and Kittel. Cav just tweets about his daughter, Gee about who he beat at FIFA last, Jens about his kids and their geochaches.

Frankly it's no great loss...

Edit - or what he^ said....
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:55 am

Slim Boy Fat wrote:
mr_poll wrote:The twitterati's darling David Millar decided to close his twitter account, who knows why. Within hours this gets retweeted by our favourite female cycling fan:

drhysc: @festinagirl right when cycling needs a strong public voice @millarmind leaves twitter? I don't get it. @omerta

Such loyalty. Love the way that leaving twitter means the end of his views, what did we do before it?

My reply to her.

[quote]@festinagirl Maybe if the twitter taliban weren't such c***s it wouldn't happen?[/quote]

The anonymity of the interwebz is it's biggest failing. Most of the conflict you see around the web probably wouldn't happen if the protagonists were sat down the pub having a few pints. They would probably get on swimmingly.

Su-bleeding-perb!

ShinyHelmut

Postby ShinyHelmut » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:12 pm

^ just proves he's an omerta apologist doesn't it :?

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:16 pm

ShinyHelmut wrote:^ just proves he's an omerta apologist doesn't it :?

Que?

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:43 pm

----
Last edited by Richmond Racer on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:44 pm

merinotop wrote:Fran Millar's twitter said it was because he was spending too much time there. Cath Wiggins has also left, I hope not due to abuse.

I'd imagine that last week was the last straw, with the abuse she got plus the blow-by-blow reproduction of her tweets with the likes of the Torygraph decided qualified as valid journalistic coverage.

There's been a huge surge in both mainstream and niche cycling media trawling and building entire 'stories' around cyclists tweets - or their partners - I'm thinking Mrs Wiggo and Froome's gf in particular. I suspect that this is helping to drive people away from Twitter.

LeicesterLad

Postby LeicesterLad » Tue Nov 13, 2012 13:43 pm

For such a bunch of No Marks the 'twitter taliban' managed to get you all talking for 4 pages. :lol:

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 13:53 pm

LeicesterLad wrote:For such a bunch of No Marks the 'twitter taliban' managed to get you all talking for 4 pages. :lol:

Actually I think it shows that although there are some on Twitter who like to create and spread innuendo and accusation - and others who like to indulge them in this ('ooh, I'm in on some kind of little special community') - there are others who consider them to be infantile, irresponsible and at times verging on defamatory and libellous...

Talking of which, the Lord McAlpine business might actually shine a light on the whole area of tweeting and RT'ing libellous and defamatory statements. Tweeters and retweeters might find themselves liable - right now, they think its a free-for-all and they can say - and RT - what they like. Twitter is a publishing platform, just as much as a newspaper or magazine, and a test case like McAlpine would show this. Oh and blogs too. And, um, internetz forums...
Last edited by Richmond Racer on Tue Nov 13, 2012 14:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r0bh

Postby r0bh » Tue Nov 13, 2012 14:00 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:Talking of which, the Lord McAlpine business might actually shine a light on the whole area of tweeting and RT'ing libelous and defamatory statements. Tweeters and retweeters might find themselves liable - right now, they think its a free-for-all and they can say - and RT - what they like. Twitter is a publishing platform, just as much as a newspaper or magazine, and a test case like McAlpine would show this. Oh and blogs too.

Article on the possible twitter fallout from the McAlpine affair: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20299551

ThomThom

Postby ThomThom » Tue Nov 13, 2012 14:54 pm

My advice to every human on this planet.

Don't use Twitter. It's horrible.

Turfle

Postby Turfle » Tue Nov 13, 2012 15:28 pm

Twitter is fabulous. Some of the people who use it are not. Just like the rest of the internet.

bompington

Postby bompington » Tue Nov 13, 2012 23:22 pm

r0bh wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:Talking of which, the Lord McAlpine business might actually shine a light on the whole area of tweeting and RT'ing libelous and defamatory statements. Tweeters and retweeters might find themselves liable - right now, they think its a free-for-all and they can say - and RT - what they like. Twitter is a publishing platform, just as much as a newspaper or magazine, and a test case like McAlpine would show this. Oh and blogs too.

Article on the possible twitter fallout from the McAlpine affair: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20299551

Indeed. Personally I would love it if there was some way that Macalpine could sue everyone who labelled him online - especially those who were chiefly doing it with an undisguised delight at the prospect of a big Tory being got, as opposed to any particular concern for the victims. And yes, I am definitely thinking about some regular posters on this forum when I say that.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Tue Mar 18, 2014 22:02 pm

a guide
Scenario -> Outcome
Rider holds form all season. ->Doping
Rider loses form. -> Was doping
Strong team performance. -> All doping
Great solo performance. -> Doping
Team declare zero tolerance. -> Doping
Team hire ex-dopers. -> Doping
Rider has a doctor. -> Doping
Rider has a trainer. -> Doping
Rider gets ill. -> Doping
Rider stays healthy. -> Doping
Rider admits to past doping, says he’s now clean. -> Liar, doping
Rider doesn’t admit to doping. -> Doping
Rider fails no tests. -> Bio passport doesn’t work
Conti rider goes well. -> Ah but he’s not on the bio passport
Rider wins MTF with solid team tactics. -> Doping, just like Armstrong
Rider wins MTF with solo breakaway. -> Doping just like Pantani
Rider wins, goes to doping control. -> Tests don’t work
Rider finishes outside top places, doesn’t have to go to doping control. -> Convenient
Rider refuses to release data. -> Doping
Rider releases data. -> Doping
Rider won’t speak to press. -> Doping
Rider does speak to press. -> Fans with typewriters
Journalist covers stage race by reporting on what happened on the road not in the hotels. -> Accessory to doping

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 22:07 pm

^credit where it's due.

From the twitter pen of @journalvelo

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Tue Mar 18, 2014 22:10 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:^credit where it's due.

From the twitter pen of @journalvelo

They're just spitting in the soup, the bastards.

Return to “Pro Race”