Cervelo R5 v Cannondale Supersix evo v Custom Frame

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere

If you had £3000 to spend on a bike which option would you prefer?

Cervelo R5
41%
Cannondale Supersix
23%
Custom Frame
18%
None of the above - You can do better than the above!
16%
None of the above - You are wasting your money!
2%

Total votes: 83

greasedscotsman

Re: Cervelo R5 v Cannondale Supersix evo v Custom Frame

Postby greasedscotsman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:04 am

LegendLust wrote:And I do have experience of all this - owning both custom, made-to-measure suits and a custom, made-to-measure Viner Maxima!

Don't have any made to measure suits, I don't wear one often enough to warrant it. But I do have both custom and off the peg frames and the frame dimensions are pretty much the same! Other than being able to pick what colour I wanted, I don't see why I need to go custom.

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:08 am

clincher3 wrote:Do you have your fillings though?

I doubt :)

do your shoulders Ache? I am sure.

I don't have any fillings to lose. And I didn't have any problems with my shoulders. Had a problem one year with my hand, but that's about it. For Roubaix I think wheels and tyres are more important. I put some Open Pros with 25mm Gatorskins when I go. Think this is getting a bit off topic though, sorry everyone...

clincher3

Postby clincher3 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:09 am

NapoleonD wrote:

WTF?

Never mind pal

Have a good ride , I dont have time to waste

good night.
Last edited by clincher3 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 19:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clincher3

Postby clincher3 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:11 am

greasedscotsman wrote:

I don't have any fillings to lose. And I didn't have any problems with my shoulders. Had a problem one year with my hand, but that's about it. For Roubaix I think wheels and tyres are more important. I put some Open Pros with 25mm Gatorskins when I go. Think this is getting a bit off topic though, sorry everyone...

But you see, YOU DONT know what a custom frame is!!! there is alot of bad custom out there, worst than off the peg.

just realized who i am talking to, but I wont bang my head against the wall. pointless...

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:14 am

clincher3 wrote:But you see, YOU DONT know what a custom frame is!!! there is alot of bad custom out there, worst than off the peg.

just realized who i am talking to, but I wont bang my head against the wall. pointless...

Don't I? I thought I just posted that I had one?

LegendLust

Postby LegendLust » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:22 am

greasedscotsman wrote:
clincher3 wrote:But you see, YOU DONT know what a custom frame is!!! there is alot of bad custom out there, worst than off the peg.

Don't I? I thought I just posted that I had one?

I think what clincher3 is getting at is that Legend (and the same with my Maxima) can customise the ride qualities of their frames. They manufacture their own carbon tubes, so can lay them up how they want, and produce them to suit what the rider wants, build in more compliance, more stiffness, lighter etc. They can then add even more ride customisation by how they lay up the wrapped joints.

So they are true custom frames, not just made-to-measure.

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:26 am

LegendLust wrote:So they are true custom frames, not just made-to-measure.

I thought I did that with my "made to measure" frame when I picked the tubing it was going to be made from.

LegendLust

Postby LegendLust » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:27 am

greasedscotsman wrote:
LegendLust wrote:So they are true custom frames, not just made-to-measure.

I thought I did that with my "made to measure" frame when I picked the tubing it was going to be made from.

Was that a carbon frame?

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:32 am

LegendLust wrote:Was that a carbon frame?

What difference does it make?

rajMAN

Postby rajMAN » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:42 am

ClinchertHrEe yOr a d*CkHeAd

LegendLust

Postby LegendLust » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:44 am

greasedscotsman wrote:

Bloody hell. I was only asking a question. If it was steel then any good framebuilder can tweak the ride qualities with choice of tubes. But there aren't many carbon framebuilders who can do this - so if it was carbon I was just curious who it was that's all

clincher3

Postby clincher3 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:47 am

rajMAN wrote:ClinchertHrEe yOr a d*CkHeAd

Thank you kindly, I am sure your cultured enough to say to someone you never met, I bet you speak 4 languages and have read endless amount of books. we should meet for a coffee sometimes and have never ending conversation, I can learn so much from you.

Once again thank you, really. you just showed all what kind of people are here.

rajMAN

Postby rajMAN » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:50 am

:D :D :D Normally reserved in my judgements, however on this occasion I feel total justification.

keep riding.

saprkzz

Postby saprkzz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:57 am

clincher3 wrote:
NapoleonD wrote:

WTF?

Never mind pal

Have a good ride on your Cervelo, I wasted enough time here... a forum rider is the new word, the one who buys the best of the best recommended by BR.

good night.

Clincher3, you have an opinion, and you are totally entitled to one.... but the most important thing is the products you buy are because you like them, and likewise with any one else. It doesnt mean that just becasue it isnt a Legend or a ferrari or made in italy that it is crap.

I wont say that Cervelo is better than anything else, as to be honest if there was one make that ruled, it would be the only manufacture putting their bike up to be raced in the tours etc..

I got a cervelo because it was what I wanted to buy, I wouldnt even take a Legend for free if offered because i dont like them, have no interest in them at all, not because i know best, but its my opinion. I also wouldnt buy a ferrari, its Aston martin all day long!!... so dont be a twonk, I live in the UK, and thats where I ride.

clincher3

Postby clincher3 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:03 pm

saprkzz wrote:
clincher3 wrote:
NapoleonD wrote:

WTF?

Never mind pal

Have a good ride on your Cervelo, I wasted enough time here... a forum rider is the new word, the one who buys the best of the best recommended by BR.

good night.

Clincher3, you have an opinion, and you are totally entitled to one.... but the most important thing is the products you buy are because you like them, and likewise with any one else. It doesnt mean that just becasue it isnt a Legend or a ferrari or made in italy that it is crap.

I wont say that Cervelo is better than anything else, as to be honest if there was one make that ruled, it would be the only manufacture putting their bike up to be raced in the tours etc..

I got a cervelo because it was what I wanted to buy, I wouldnt even take a Legend for free if offered because i dont like them, have no interest in them at all, not because i know best, but its my opinion. I also wouldnt buy a ferrari, its Aston martin all day long!!... so dont be a twonk, I live in the UK, and thats where I ride.

I wasnt saying otherwise!! read previous post, I said each for his own, however for the sake of argument, we cannot compare mould made cheap make chinese frame to a handmade frame made by an artisan who has 30 yrs of experience, whether you like it or not different story.

One more thing, a buyer would take what he sees in the press and the group he is riding with, or what has been raced on it is a safer bet, enough justification its a good buy, imo its not.

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:04 pm

LegendLust wrote:
greasedscotsman wrote:

Bloody hell. I was only asking a question. If it was steel then any good framebuilder can tweak the ride qualities with choice of tubes. But there aren't many carbon framebuilders who can do this - so if it was carbon I was just curious who it was that's all

Oh sorry there dude, didn't mean my answer to be seen as aggresive, I wasn't just tryin' to answer your point!

I'm sure there aren't many who can build custom carbon tubes, but as I see it, it doesn't make any difference if the material is carbon, steel, titanium or jelly, the principal is the same. If I don't need custom geometry, I can then just try different frames until I find one I like. One that rides the way I like. That's the other problem with custom frames is that you don't know how they will ride until they are made and then you have paid for it. I could try a Cervelo or a Cannondale and if I don't like them, go and buy something else.

Still, if someone wants a custom frame, then go for it. Like I said, I have one and think it's great! But then of course you have the biggest problem ever, what colour to have it painted! :D

LegendLust

Postby LegendLust » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:10 pm

greasedscotsman wrote:
LegendLust wrote:
greasedscotsman wrote:

Oh sorry there dude, didn't mean my answer to be seen as aggresive, I wasn't just tryin' to answer your point!

I'm sure there aren't many who can build custom carbon tubes, but as I see it, it doesn't make any difference if the material is carbon, steel, titanium or jelly, the principal is the same. If I don't need custom geometry, I can then just try different frames until I find one I like. One that rides the way I like. That's the other problem with custom frames is that you don't know how they will ride until they are made and then you have paid for it. I could try a Cervelo or a Cannondale and if I don't like them, go and buy something else.

Still, if someone wants a custom frame, then go for it. Like I said, I have one and think it's great! But then of course you have the biggest problem ever, what colour to have it painted! :D

You're right there with choosing colours. A bloody nightmare.

All I was trying to get across is that Legend custom bikes aren't just about custom geometry, they're about custom carbon tubes, lay up etc to make the bike ride how YOU want it. So they should ride exactly how you like.

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:23 pm

LegendLust wrote:All I was trying to get across is that Legend custom bikes aren't just about custom geometry, they're about custom carbon tubes, lay up etc to make the bike ride how YOU want it. So they should ride exactly how you like.

I did understand that. Or you could go down to your LBS, go for a few test rides and pick the bike that you like. TBH, that's what I would suggest the OP does.

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:29 pm

clincher3 wrote:we cannot compare mould made cheap make chinese frame to a handmade frame made by an artisan who has 30 yrs of experience, whether you like it or not different story.

Yes you can, you can go and ride them.

And I asked the question before, but aren't all carbon frames handmade? What if the guy in the factory in China has 30 years experience, does that make any difference?

southdownswolf

Postby southdownswolf » Thu Nov 15, 2012 13:03 pm

If I had £3k to spend on a bike, I would be trying out every bike that I could. As for having a completely custom frame made to my choice, I wouldn't have a clue where to start!
Going to different shops, I could probably try out about 20 different bikes within a 10 mile radius of where I live at £3K. I might like a bike, then try another and like it even more! But, if I went to a custom frame builder such as Legend, they could ask me all these questions, build a bike that is exact to the answers, but when built up doesn't ride as nice as the stock frame. I would not have been able to try it before I have parted with me money. Obviously there are people on here that have tried out a lot more bikes than me and probably have a good idea of what geometry is suitable for them, then for them it may be more suitable.
http://www.stuartmole.co.uk/

Return to “Road General”