Voting today??

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
natrix

Voting today??

Postby natrix » Thu Nov 15, 2012 14:18 pm

Can anybody be arsed? It's not as if any of the candidates in my area have bothered to send me any leaflets, outline their views etc. I'm considering spoiling my paper forthe first time.....

Dabber

Re: Voting today??

Postby Dabber » Thu Nov 15, 2012 14:38 pm

We've had zero contact from any of the candidates... no mailing, knock on door... zilch.
So, I've no information to base any voting decision on, so I won't be voting.
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Giant Defy 3

pb21

Postby pb21 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 14:47 pm

Dabber wrote:We've had zero contact from any of the candidates... no mailing, knock on door... zilch.

Same, I guess they don't have any money to campaign though, plus you could have gone to them via the internet.

Peat

Postby Peat » Thu Nov 15, 2012 14:52 pm

If there was an option on the ballot of 'No thanks, we don't need another strata of management (ergo: another high salaried chinless wonder) How about the current shower just get thier act together?', then i would bother going tonight.

Cornerblock

Postby Cornerblock » Thu Nov 15, 2012 15:06 pm

No contact here either, but I shall probably vote for Eric Bristow.

Joking aside, these elections have been really badly publicised, I'd say the majority would be unaware they are even taking place at all. Democracy? Mmm.

AchillesLeftKnee

Postby AchillesLeftKnee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 15:18 pm

I shall be voting "Spoilt Paper" myself. At best it's a waste of taxpayers (ie. our) money, and at worst it's an increase in the politicisation of the police.
Mangeur

afx237vi

Postby afx237vi » Thu Nov 15, 2012 15:40 pm

Dabber wrote:We've had zero contact from any of the candidates... no mailing, knock on door... zilch.

Same here. Is there anybody in the country who actually thinks we need elected police commissioners? Seems like a terrible idea to me.

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Thu Nov 15, 2012 16:26 pm

I'd agree normally, but one of my local candidates is Sir Clive Loader a former Air Chief Marshal and Commander-in-Chief in the Royal Air Force, which lets face it is seriously heavy duty.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Capt Slog

Postby Capt Slog » Thu Nov 15, 2012 16:31 pm

I had one come round to my house.

I told him that if he didn't p1ss off, I'd call the police.
"Dinosaur" "... horrible human being", BR Mod.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Cleat Eastwood

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Thu Nov 15, 2012 16:33 pm

afx237vi wrote:

Same here. Is there anybody in the country who actually thinks we need elected police commissioners? Seems like a terrible idea to me.

Indeed especially as, from what I've seen from the interviews on TV, most if not all of the candidates have some political affiliation.

Can't quite work out why it's believed we need them.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » Thu Nov 15, 2012 16:39 pm

I sent an email to all of the candidates yesterday, asking them what they thought about
cycling and cyclists. The tory candidate was the only one to reply. Not much in the response
though, just a bland answer.

Thank you for your email. As a (fair-weather) cyclist, I believe that it is an enjoyable and healthy pursuit.
We as a country need to look at how we can make cycling safer on our roads, particularly in
residential areas, and around schools and colleges. It's important, also, that cyclists take responsibility
for their own safety, obeying road rules and wearing high-visibility clothing and lights in these dark
winter evenings.

I hope this answers your queries.

Kind regards,

Victoria Atkins

dynamicbrick

Postby dynamicbrick » Thu Nov 15, 2012 16:40 pm

Cleat Eastwood wrote:
afx237vi wrote:

Indeed especially as, from what I've seen from the interviews on TV, most if not all of the candidates have some political affiliation.

Can't quite work out why it's believed we need them.

One of my best mates is a copper.

Given what he says about the job in general, I think it's mainly to try to curb the lunatic excesses of the force chiefs. Some of the 'initiatives' they cook up are astoundingly poor management of people and resources.

That's about the only logical explanation I can muster for why we need them.

natrix

Postby natrix » Thu Nov 15, 2012 16:44 pm

Looks like a poor turnout in some areas http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/nov/1 ... sh-turnout

dynamicbrick

Postby dynamicbrick » Thu Nov 15, 2012 16:47 pm

natrix wrote:Looks like a poor turnout in some areas http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/nov/1 ... sh-turnout

This deeply worries me;

The Guardian wrote:The opposition party has set itself a benchmark of winning "a majority of policing" outside London. This would mean Labour controlling the forces that have a majority of officers or spend the most of the police budget.

Frank the tank

Postby Frank the tank » Thu Nov 15, 2012 17:17 pm

I don't agree with politicising the police, so I'm not going to endorse the policy by voting in this stupidity.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

MaxwellBygraves

Postby MaxwellBygraves » Thu Nov 15, 2012 17:34 pm

In the 1999 European parliament elections the turnout was 23%. I'd put money on todays turnout being lower. Just for fun, I'm calling it at 19.2%.

More interestingly, there are by-elections in Corby, Cardiff and Manchester after sittings MP's resigned - perhaps the most high profile one being the resignation of Tory MP Louise Mensch who resigned to move to New York with her family. It'll be interesting to see how people cast their votes in these by-elections.
"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer

MaxwellBygraves

Postby MaxwellBygraves » Thu Nov 15, 2012 17:35 pm

Oh and there's also a mayoral election in Brizzle.
"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer

Bozman

Postby Bozman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 17:44 pm

Waste of time and money, i might take some notice if the candidates were all indipendant rather than party backed.

AchillesLeftKnee

Postby AchillesLeftKnee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 18:13 pm

MaxwellBygraves wrote:In the 1999 European parliament elections the turnout was 23%. I'd put money on todays turnout being lower. Just for fun, I'm calling it at 19.2%.

Based on the scenes at my local polling station, I'd say 19.2% in wards where the only thing up for grabs is Top Rozzer is going to be way, way, waaaaaaaay over the mark. That's the first time I've ever managed to get in, vote (well, write "This paper intentionally spoiled" anyway), and get out again without seeing another voter, and we're in a historically pretty high turnout area (72% at the last GE).
Mangeur

MaxwellBygraves

Postby MaxwellBygraves » Thu Nov 15, 2012 18:17 pm

AchillesLeftKnee wrote:
MaxwellBygraves wrote:In the 1999 European parliament elections the turnout was 23%. I'd put money on todays turnout being lower. Just for fun, I'm calling it at 19.2%.

Based on the scenes at my local polling station, I'd say 19.2% in wards where the only thing up for grabs is Top Rozzer is going to be way, way, waaaaaaaay over the mark. That's the first time I've ever managed to get in, vote (well, write "This paper intentionally spoiled" anyway), and get out again without seeing another voter, and we're in a historically pretty high turnout area (72% at the last GE).

Indeed, maybe I have overestimated it!

Story here of a polling station who, as of half past four today, recorded a turnout of 1.08% !!

Return to “The Cake Stop”