It's too dangerous to cycle after dark! Really?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
marcruse

It's too dangerous to cycle after dark! Really?

Postby marcruse » Thu Nov 15, 2012 16:48 pm

In some recent correspondence with a certain Internet based cycle shop, I enquired if it was possible to retro fit some British Standard reflectors to the SPD pedals they had sold me so as to make me completely "street legal" after dark. (I'm just worried about the "contributory negligence" charge for not being 100% street legal). I was amazed at their response -"it is the case that many commuters/leisure road cyclists do not ride after dark, due to these conditions being inherently dangerous" and therefore they couldn't help! It begs the question that if the think that's true, why does the front page of their website say "BE SEEN THIS WINTER"!, but aside from that - are they right?

Personally, when lit up like a Christmas Tree I actually feel safer than during daylight. Do others agree?

NewTTer

Re: It's too dangerous to cycle after dark! Really?

Postby NewTTer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 16:58 pm

I worry that you are also a little bit anal, concering yourself with contributory negligence for not having pedal reflectors fitted, they were probably thinking the same but were to polite to say so. Life really is to short mate stop worrying and enjoy it!

cougie

Postby cougie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 17:51 pm

They're just fobbing you off.

I doubt your pedals can be fitted with reflectors. They're not supplied with the bike are they so they're completely legal
like that.

I'd much rather trust my safety to some nice bright lights and if you feel the need - get some 3M Diamond Grade reflective tape and apply liberally to pedals etc. Reflectives are fine if the angle is right - and the car has its lights on - but if its a car coming at you from a side road - pedal reflectors wont help.

marcruse

Postby marcruse » Thu Nov 15, 2012 18:09 pm

Fair point Newtter. When I say worry, that probably a bit strong. Frankly I don't give a monkey's, it doesn't stop me, and I was just enquiring whether it was possible - if it was I'd have fitted them to be absolutely sure. I don't doubt that all the other reflective bits on me and my bike make sure I'm seen, but you hear of these smartarse lawyers who can wriggle out of anything. It's an archaic law that says you have to have them to be legal and if anything it's the law that should be changed. Maybe I'll get our new Crime Commissioner to look into it, ha ha.

steve6690

Postby steve6690 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 18:34 pm

Can't you strap some reflectors to your shoes ? :D

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 18:44 pm

NewTTer wrote:I worry that you are also a little bit anal, concering yourself with contributory negligence for not having pedal reflectors fitted, they were probably thinking the same but were to polite to say so. Life really is to short mate stop worrying and enjoy it!

He's probably from the USA originally :wink:
Yellow is the new Black.

craker

Postby craker » Thu Nov 15, 2012 19:13 pm

One set of my double sided SPDs (M520s) came with a clip in platform with reflectors on each end so they were 'legal' and left one free clip mechanism. Take the platform off to restore two in sides.

I often wear reflective bands on my ankles this time of year - in the dark something reflective moving up and down grabs your attention much more than a stationary light.

marcruse

Postby marcruse » Thu Nov 15, 2012 20:13 pm

Yep, yep yep agree with all that. Reflective straps, reflective stickers all great. However, they still don't comply with the law. It's a bit like driving a car with no brakes and then when you have an accident arguing that you had an anchor in the boot. Well, ok not quite, but my point is that a smartarse lawyer could quite easily argue that you were cycling unlawfully irrespective of how many lights and reflective stickers you had, if you didn't have Britsh Standard reflectors on your pedals. That's what the law says. CTC seem to agree.

DavidJB

Postby DavidJB » Thu Nov 15, 2012 20:33 pm

Lol at this. No ones going to get off because you didn't have reflectors on your pedals if you're we'll lit

mamba80

Postby mamba80 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 20:33 pm

if a 1 ton of car hits you at night because he didnt see you... then contributory negligence whatever will be the last thing on your mind.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Thu Nov 15, 2012 20:34 pm

mamba80 wrote:if a 1 ton of car hits you at night because he didnt see you... then contributory negligence whatever will be the last thing on your mind.

The last thing on your mind,would probably be your ass. But if you were wearing a helmet, this risk may be reduced :lol: :lol:

Bit OTT getting in a bit of a flap about some reflectors isn't it?

danowat

Postby danowat » Thu Nov 15, 2012 20:54 pm

I'd argue, with proper lights, cycling at night is safer........

john1967

Postby john1967 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 20:57 pm

my bike didnt even come with pedals let alone reflectors on the pedals.Does that mean my bike was illegal when i bought it?

craker

Postby craker » Thu Nov 15, 2012 21:02 pm

john1967 wrote:my bike didnt even come with pedals let alone reflectors on the pedals.Does that mean my bike was illegal when i bought it?

No, that's why the bike shop sold you those bike parts. If it was a complete bike (I think) it would have spoke reflectors, front & rear reflectors, pedal reflectors, a bell. I bet Wiggo's last bike didn't have all that on it. But then he pranged it didn't he...

essjaydee

Postby essjaydee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 21:02 pm

But has anyone ever been convicted of cycling 'unlawfully' because they didn't have BS marked reflectors :?:

Understand where you are coming from with wanting to be 100% legal at all times, but don't worry about BS marked reflectors :!:
Light yourself up like a xmas tree, and get out there in the dark and enjoy :)

marcruse

Postby marcruse » Thu Nov 15, 2012 21:35 pm

T.M.H.N.E.T wrote:
mamba80 wrote:if a 1 ton of car hits you at night because he didnt see you... then contributory negligence whatever will be the last thing on your mind.

The last thing on your mind,would probably be your ass. But if you were wearing a helmet, this risk may be reduced :lol: :lol:

Or, the last thing through your helmet, would be your helmet??

Pippi Langsamer

Postby Pippi Langsamer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 21:36 pm

danowat wrote:I'd argue, with proper lights, cycling at night is safer........

Damn right! Decent lights and some 3M, I feel much safer knowing I look like a Xmas tree rolling down the road rather than just another random attribute blending into a drivers field of view in daylight.

duckehhh

Postby duckehhh » Fri Nov 16, 2012 01:03 am

I go past a police station on my way home from work, and have had many coppers comment on my good lighting at the traffic lights. none have ever said anything about my lack of pedal reflectors(I use m520's).

I do have a high viz slap ankle band around each ankle though. That's better than nothing, and its all around the ankle, not just the front/back like the reflectors of the pedal.

Mettan

Postby Mettan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 04:36 am

In addition to lights etc, it's worth putting some high viz reflective tape on the back of your helmet - I've done mine ''tastefully'' (for want of a better word) - (the vents silver, and slats lemon) - looks good.

team47b

Postby team47b » Fri Nov 16, 2012 08:44 am

my isetta is a 300cc bike

Return to “Road General”