Should I buy an Xbox?

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
daviesee

Re: Should I buy an Xbox?

Postby daviesee » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:09 pm

bigtallandheavy wrote:....... Thank you for your reply, as a young man with no kids I am sure I can do both albeit separately.
A cycling game to play own would combine both hobbies!

Word to the wise....

If you have any ambitions to do anything in life, do it now.

Soon it will be too late and the regrets can settle in. Life is too short for gaming*.

*Unless your ambitions in life are gaming.
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Tue Nov 13, 2012 14:29 pm

daviesee wrote:
pinarello001 wrote:I know someone with a 'box' thats x rated and it will cost you much less than 160 nicker. The software can be a bit tetchy though.

Are you sure it is virus free too? :wink:

Now how would I install the 'spyware' ?
"It's really tough to make a living, but a man's just gotta try" Disgruntledgoat - who owe's me 10 Goat Bucks

S - The womens Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

Seantheconn: más afeminado que un jamboree de Guías Internacional

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Tue Nov 13, 2012 15:11 pm

pinarello001 wrote:
daviesee wrote:
pinarello001 wrote:I know someone with a 'box' thats x rated and it will cost you much less than 160 nicker. The software can be a bit tetchy though.

Are you sure it is virus free too? :wink:

Now how would I install the 'spyware' ?

I have heard that there are videos available on the Internet showing the method in high detail. Over and over again. :wink:

Heavymental

Postby Heavymental » Thu Nov 15, 2012 23:13 pm

daviesee wrote:
bigtallandheavy wrote:....... Thank you for your reply, as a young man with no kids I am sure I can do both albeit separately.
A cycling game to play own would combine both hobbies!

Word to the wise....

If you have any ambitions to do anything in life, do it now.

Soon it will be too late and the regrets can settle in. Life is too short for gaming*.

*Unless your ambitions in life are gaming.

That's much more polite and concise than my version.

Learn to play guitar or something. Don't live life through a screen.

B.M.R.

Postby B.M.R. » Fri Nov 16, 2012 09:51 am

Do you watch TV? Go to the cinema? LIsten to music? Read books? Paint lead figures? Play chess? Trainspot? Spend time posting on internet forums?

Why? Why are you wasting your time doing something like that when you could be.... err, playing a guitar?

Games are entertainment, like many other things, and like any hobby, if taken to extremes can be a bad thing, but playing games on a regular basis does not constitute "living your life through a screen".

Just because you don't do it or see the value in it, doesn't make it a waste of time.
Be careful up there on your high horses, you might get vertigo.
That said, if you've got time to post up a negative remark on an internet forum concerning a topic you have no interest in, and are quite happy to look down on those who do enjoy said interest and take the time to compose a snippy comment as to why the OP or people who enjoy gaming are wasting their lives, perhaps you should look up the dictionary definition of hypocrisy.

OP : I'd chose the Xbox, but don't bother with any Kinect stuff, it doesn't really work too well and the games are not the best.

Giraffoto

Postby Giraffoto » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:26 am

Absolutely not, it will only distract you from wholesome hobbies like muttering to yourself in the dark with an AK-47 in your lap
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
On-One Scandal (fully rigid)

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:28 am

My point was that young people think that they have all the time in the world.

Older people know that this is not true.

Use your time to its fullest and don't put off anything till tomorrow which may never come.
What you choose to do is up to you but you would be wise to heed the advice.

AchillesLeftKnee

Postby AchillesLeftKnee » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:05 am

daviesee wrote:My point was that young people think that they have all the time in the world.

Use your time to its fullest and don't put off anything till tomorrow which may never come.

I've got an evening of gaming planned for tonight. Please offer me a few suggestions as to what I should be doing to make better and fuller use of my leisure time. I'm all ears.
Mangeur

Phil_D

Postby Phil_D » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:13 am

AchillesLeftKnee wrote:
daviesee wrote:My point was that young people think that they have all the time in the world.

I've got an evening of gaming planned for tonight. Please offer me a few suggestions as to what I should be doing to make better and fuller use of my leisure time. I'm all ears.

Watch all the paedos on children in need

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 pm

AchillesLeftKnee wrote:

Read the advice given.
In the not too distant future you will notice that time is getting faster. And it continues accelerating. Don't say you weren't warned. Have fun whatever you choose to do.

AchillesLeftKnee

Postby AchillesLeftKnee » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:17 pm

daviesee wrote:Read the advice given.
In the not too distant future you will notice that time is getting faster. And it continues accelerating. Don't say you weren't warned. Have fun whatever you choose to do.

Which thread was it posted on?
Mangeur

El Zomba

Postby El Zomba » Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:11 pm

Pinno

Postby Pinno » Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:47 pm

Heavymental wrote:
daviesee wrote:
bigtallandheavy wrote:....... Thank blah blah you for
A cycling blah hobbies!

Word blah wise....

If you blah it now.Soon blah gaming*.*Unless blah gaming.

That's blah version.

Learn blah something. Don't live life through a screen.

Now when I was in Amsterdam and there was this very cute girl on some sort of circus apparatus, I turned into a windowlicker just temporarily (about an hr or so until some big bloke told me to 'go avay yoo planker'). So bah humbug to your not living life through a screen, I loved every minute of it.
"It's really tough to make a living, but a man's just gotta try" Disgruntledgoat - who owe's me 10 Goat Bucks

S - The womens Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

Seantheconn: más afeminado que un jamboree de Guías Internacional

Heavymental

Postby Heavymental » Fri Nov 16, 2012 22:39 pm

B.M.R. wrote:Do you watch TV? Go to the cinema? LIsten to music? Read books? Paint lead figures? Play chess? Trainspot? Spend time posting on internet forums?

Why? Why are you wasting your time doing something like that when you could be.... err, playing a guitar?

Games are entertainment, like many other things, and like any hobby, if taken to extremes can be a bad thing, but playing games on a regular basis does not constitute "living your life through a screen".

Just because you don't do it or see the value in it, doesn't make it a waste of time.
Be careful up there on your high horses, you might get vertigo.
That said, if you've got time to post up a negative remark on an internet forum concerning a topic you have no interest in, and are quite happy to look down on those who do enjoy said interest and take the time to compose a snippy comment as to why the OP or people who enjoy gaming are wasting their lives, perhaps you should look up the dictionary definition of hypocrisy.

OP : I'd chose the Xbox, but don't bother with any Kinect stuff, it doesn't really work too well and the games are not the best.

Sigh. Whatever. I'm as guilty as the next man for sitting doing pointless stuff and frittering away time I could be spending baking bread and making wicker baskets (I'm joking) but I do try and avoid getting into things that I know will tempt me to waste even more time. Although it's not the wasting time I object to. Yes, chess and crosswords are 'timewasters' but they do hold some value over gaming don't you think? They get the brain synapses firing, they stimulate your brain and concentrate the mind in ways that expand your brains functionality.

I dunno, do you not find that you feel unfulfilled after spending time gaming? That was always my experience after a session on Fifa. I couldn't give a monkeys really what you decide to do with your time but I'm of the opinion that anyone can spend their time more constructively than gaming. For example, I would say that reading a book falls into the 'timewasting' category and it is also a sedentary activity like gaming that mostly involves sitting on the sofa. But do you not find it's far more constructive? Literature is a powerful tool for communicating new ideas, opening the mind to new culture and places. I don't think anyone ever reached emotional highs/lows whilst gaming? It's an emotionally unengaging experience isn't it? Does the experience linger in your mind? Bring you satisfaction?

Anyway, like I say. I'm as bad as the next person for wasting time and I also understand fully the appeal of doing something unengaging like gaming rather than reading a book. I've got plenty of free time but I haven't picked up the novel I'm reading for ages. I have spent ages on Facebook and here though; because it's less demanding on my mushy brain. But I know in the back of my mind that I would be better off reading that book. I also just bought a guitar off ebay as I know that with free time I can learn a skill that will be really rewarding.

If you really do want suggestions here's a hatful. Judge them as you will but you did ask for suggestions. Maybe one of them will appeal to you.

Learn some magic tricks.
Volunteer with the local cubs/scouts.
Learn a musical instrument.
Read up on woodwork and build a basic piece of furniture.
Improve your photography and frame the best 10 pictures you take in a year.
Learn to cook 10 new dishes.
Start helping with coaching a sport you are good at at a local club.
Go and play a new sport like Badminton/Squash/Table tennis.
Read 10 classic novels.
Build a new bike from cheap parts you get second hand or strip down an old bike, clean it and put it back together.
Redecorate a room in your house.
Design a crossword for a friend to do (I did that once it was quite funny).

Anyway, blah blah, here i am getting vertigo on my high horse and being hypocritical blah blah. Have fun. I'm off to look if anyone has replied to my thread about getting a flight to Laos. Cus I'm cool like that and go travelling to broaden my mind blahblah.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Postby T.M.H.N.E.T » Sat Nov 17, 2012 09:21 am

*goes back to weapons levelling in Black Ops 2*

B.M.R.

Postby B.M.R. » Sat Nov 17, 2012 09:25 am

Heavymental wrote:Sigh. Whatever. I'm as guilty as the next man for sitting doing pointless stuff and frittering away time I could be spending baking bread and making wicker baskets (I'm joking) but I do try and avoid getting into things that I know will tempt me to waste even more time. Although it's not the wasting time I object to. Yes, chess and crosswords are 'timewasters' but they do hold some value over gaming don't you think? They get the brain synapses firing, they stimulate your brain and concentrate the mind in ways that expand your brains functionality.

I dunno, do you not find that you feel unfulfilled after spending time gaming? That was always my experience after a session on Fifa. I couldn't give a monkeys really what you decide to do with your time but I'm of the opinion that anyone can spend their time more constructively than gaming. For example, I would say that reading a book falls into the 'timewasting' category and it is also a sedentary activity like gaming that mostly involves sitting on the sofa. But do you not find it's far more constructive? Literature is a powerful tool for communicating new ideas, opening the mind to new culture and places. I don't think anyone ever reached emotional highs/lows whilst gaming? It's an emotionally unengaging experience isn't it? Does the experience linger in your mind? Bring you satisfaction?

It's shame you only gave FIFA a go, because there are thousands of games out there (Portal, Half life, Deus Ex, Mass Effect trilogy, Sim City, Dishonored to name but a few) that not only challenge you intellectually (to say nothing of online chess 8) ) but also deal with adult themes such as self-sacrifice, acceptance of differing cultures, theological issues, racial tolerance, again to name but a few. To base everything off one go of a simulated football game (a game I actually don't like) means you are missing out on some real gems. You are entitled to your opinion but I wish you'd played some of the ones I've listed before reaching your conclusion, as they are really REALLY good games (IMHO) and could change the way you think about gaming. But if you aren't keen on gaming, why would you force yourself to play more to see if you change your mind, I can understand this, I just wish your one delve into gaming universe has been more positive!

To dismiss gaming as being emotionally unengaging I cannot agree with - I've sat crouched over my keyboard sweating as the last man on my team in Counter Strike, trying to plant a bomb while 20 other players are watching me willing me on, and another 20 are hoping the remaining CT players will kill me before I can win. I've enjoyed the company of others across the globe raiding dungeons in Warcraft and completed missions as part of a platoon in Arma 2. I've found myself welling up as a well-loved character developed over two games in the Mass Effect series sacrifices himself to heal a rift between two nations that could destroy both. But then not everyone will find these things entertaining so each to their own, but I would argue these are stories, these are emotional attachments, these are satisfying.
The gaming world has moved on since the days of Pong, games are as entertaining, if not more so, than movies and TV shows.

Islwyn

Postby Islwyn » Sat Nov 17, 2012 18:42 pm

It's all about the PS3... I used to be Xbox but moved to PS3 for the blu-ray player and better software on it like ITV/BBC/4OD player etc! Plus no monthly fee to play online.

Heavymental

Postby Heavymental » Sun Nov 18, 2012 14:34 pm

B.M.R. wrote:To dismiss gaming as being emotionally unengaging I cannot agree with - I've sat crouched over my keyboard sweating as the last man on my team in Counter Strike, trying to plant a bomb while 20 other players are watching me willing me on, and another 20 are hoping the remaining CT players will kill me before I can win. I've enjoyed the company of others across the globe raiding dungeons in Warcraft and completed missions as part of a platoon in Arma 2. I've found myself welling up as a well-loved character developed over two games in the Mass Effect series sacrifices himself to heal a rift between two nations that could destroy both. But then not everyone will find these things entertaining so each to their own, but I would argue these are stories, these are emotional attachments, these are satisfying.

upperoilcan

Postby upperoilcan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 07:44 am

bigtallandheavy wrote:
I have had it for 4 years and I am really behind on consoles etc but spotted a 250gb Xbox in sainsburys or 159.99 today.

Thanks for the heads up on this...

Just got me one. :)
Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.

upperoilcan

Postby upperoilcan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 07:41 am

Just to add,

Xbox live is now worse than ever when playing the latest Black Ops installment online,laggy jumping and freezing..

i have BT infinity and if anything seems to have made no difference at all to when i was using standard BB on copper cables..

The mind boggles.
Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.

Return to “The Cake Stop”