Campag 11 speed Front Shifting

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
User avatar
NapoleonD
Posts: 18126
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:51 pm

Campag 11 speed Front Shifting

Postby NapoleonD » Fri Nov 16, 2012 20:34 pm

I'm having TERRIBLE trouble fitting 11 speed Campag to my Cervelo R3, I can't get the front to shift at all. As soon as there is any tension on the cable the ratchet doesn't engage so no shifting.

Anyone any ideas?
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 18061
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: Campag 11 speed Front Shifting

Postby ugo.santalucia » Fri Nov 16, 2012 20:52 pm

Did you install the cable correctly? Once I had the same and it turned out the cable was not inside the guide.

Good luck

Bondurant
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:07 pm

Re: Campag 11 speed Front Shifting

Postby Bondurant » Fri Nov 16, 2012 20:54 pm

Exactly the same for me. It took me ages to get the cable end seated properly. Easy to route incorrectly.

User avatar
NapoleonD
Posts: 18126
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:51 pm

Re: Campag 11 speed Front Shifting

Postby NapoleonD » Fri Nov 16, 2012 21:22 pm

The cable responds when there is no tension, as soon as there's tension either I pull it taut and try and shift or attach it to the front mech taut) the shifter just moves with no ratchet engagement.

I'm confused to hell!!
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

Bondurant
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:07 pm

Re: Campag 11 speed Front Shifting

Postby Bondurant » Fri Nov 16, 2012 21:53 pm

Same thing happened to me. Essentially the ratchet inside the shifter moved the cable round even though it wasn't routed correctly. Take the other end of the cable and poke it through the shifter from the exit hole at the back to see exactly where it needs to be fed through. It was a pain in the ars*. If the ratchet works properly without the cable in it I can't think of anything else it could be. Also make sure that, before you feed the cable through, you have clicked the thumb shifter as many clicks as it will make.

User avatar
NapoleonD
Posts: 18126
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:51 pm

Re: Campag 11 speed Front Shifting

Postby NapoleonD » Fri Nov 16, 2012 22:23 pm

Bondurant wrote:Same thing happened to me. Essentially the ratchet inside the shifter moved the cable round even though it wasn't routed correctly. Take the other end of the cable and poke it through the shifter from the exit hole at the back to see exactly where it needs to be fed through. It was a pain in the ars*. If the ratchet works properly without the cable in it I can't think of anything else it could be. Also make sure that, before you feed the cable through, you have clicked the thumb shifter as many clicks as it will make.


The ratchet works properly with the cable in, just not under tension.

I've fitted shifters so many bloody times, never been stumped like this. I'm starting to think they are defective shifters.
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

Bondurant
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:07 pm

Re: Campag 11 speed Front Shifting

Postby Bondurant » Fri Nov 16, 2012 22:27 pm

If you are absolutely certain that the cable is routed correctly then I suppose it must be. But what you describe happened exactly to me, and there was nothing wrong with the shifter. Anyway, good luck.

User avatar
g00se
Posts: 2099
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 09:53 am

Re: Campag 11 speed Front Shifting

Postby g00se » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:01 am

You could try disconnecting the cable from the front mech and attach a kilo weight to it. then see if the ratchet works to pull the cable up.

If this fails too, take the lever off of the bars and look up inside the body of the lever, you may get a clue as to what's going wrong.

User avatar
NapoleonD
Posts: 18126
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:51 pm

Re: Campag 11 speed Front Shifting

Postby NapoleonD » Sat Nov 17, 2012 14:25 pm

Finally had enough and took it to a campag dealer who I know and is VERY experienced. Fits this stuff day in day out.

Shifter is knackered. Not only that, Shiny Bikes fobbed me off with cable from lower down the range...

Not happy.
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

User avatar
Ben6899
Posts: 4921
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 19:49 pm

Re: Campag 11 speed Front Shifting

Postby Ben6899 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 17:15 pm

NapoleonD wrote:Finally had enough and took it to a campag dealer who I know and is VERY experienced. Fits this stuff day in day out.

Shifter is knackered. Not only that, Shiny Bikes fobbed me off with cable from lower down the range...

Not happy.


When you say lower down the range, do you mean the thicker inners? From pre-2009 or whatever the date is?

Glad you're getting it sorted, anyway.
Ben

Bikes: Starley JKS R1 | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Islington CC: http://www.islington.cc

User avatar
NapoleonD
Posts: 18126
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:51 pm

Re: Campag 11 speed Front Shifting

Postby NapoleonD » Sat Nov 17, 2012 17:20 pm

Ben6899 wrote:
NapoleonD wrote:Finally had enough and took it to a campag dealer who I know and is VERY experienced. Fits this stuff day in day out.

Shifter is knackered. Not only that, Shiny Bikes fobbed me off with cable from lower down the range...

Not happy.


When you say lower down the range, do you mean the thicker inners? From pre-2009 or whatever the date is?

Glad you're getting it sorted, anyway.


They are supposed to be 'ultra low friction' these looked like older ones...
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

User avatar
Ben6899
Posts: 4921
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 19:49 pm

Re: Campag 11 speed Front Shifting

Postby Ben6899 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 13:58 pm

NapoleonD wrote:
Ben6899 wrote:
NapoleonD wrote:Finally had enough and took it to a campag dealer who I know and is VERY experienced. Fits this stuff day in day out.

Shifter is knackered. Not only that, Shiny Bikes fobbed me off with cable from lower down the range...

Not happy.


When you say lower down the range, do you mean the thicker inners? From pre-2009 or whatever the date is?

Glad you're getting it sorted, anyway.


They are supposed to be 'ultra low friction' these looked like older ones...


That's very poor form from Shiny Bikes. In the new (2009 -->) Campag stuff, anything but Ultra-low friction cables won't actually fit properly. I'm not one to bad-mouth retailers, but I won't use Shiny Bikes again after a disappointing transaction we once had. Shame, because their stock and prices are really good.

Hoping you get it sorted.
Ben

Bikes: Starley JKS R1 | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Islington CC: http://www.islington.cc

markyone
Posts: 1530
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 08:00 am

Re: Campag 11 speed Front Shifting

Postby markyone » Sun Nov 18, 2012 14:12 pm

I had faulty shifter from high on bikes with the same problem,high on bikes replaced
shifters and now perfect
Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
Enigma evade Dura Ace 9000
BeOne CRD Pro Alloy 29er

User avatar
NapoleonD
Posts: 18126
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:51 pm

Re: Campag 11 speed Front Shifting

Postby NapoleonD » Sat Nov 24, 2012 16:01 pm

Got the new shifters from Ribble. Plus the correct cables (that came pre fitted...)
Shifting is bloody brill!
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt


Return to “Workshop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: taon24 and 3 guests