What's gone wrong?

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Reane_Machine

What's gone wrong?

Postby Reane_Machine » Mon Nov 12, 2012 14:34 pm

I have had my bike since August, I have ridden it just over 500km so far and I ensured I cleaned and lubricated it every two weeks.

I used standard shop-bought lubricant oil and made sure I cleaned the chain before applying the oil, rotating it through the gears and leaving it to stand for about 15 mins before wiping the excess lube off.

But today as soon as I pushed off the chain snapped, a link has cleaved completely in two.

My question is what did I do wrong? What could I have done differently to ensure the chain had better longevity?

The manual says the chain should get at least 1000 - 3000km but it's not got anywhere near that and I wouldn't expect a decent bike like a Felt's chain to break after three months of use. :cry:

Is it purely a case of bad luck, or are there any other things I should have/should now do to prevent this happening again?
Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

http://handlebarpov.tumblr.com/

Road - Felt Z95 - FCN 3
MTB - Broken ( :( ) but was FCN 7

keef66

Re: What's gone wrong?

Postby keef66 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 14:53 pm

Just bad luck by the sound of it. Unless the chain is worn I'd just buy a KMC Missing Link, remove the broken ends so you have two good inner links, and rejoin it.

MrChuck

Postby MrChuck » Mon Nov 12, 2012 15:42 pm

If you're in the habit of cross-chaining a lot (e.g. small ring front, small cog rear) that might shorten the life of a chain.

Otherwise it could just be one of those things. The chain broke on my commuter the other day for no apparent reason.

sungod

Postby sungod » Mon Nov 12, 2012 16:22 pm

may just be bad luck, or maybe the joining pin was not fitted quite as well as it should've been

examine the chain, typically all but one pin will be riveted so that the top spreads slightly, the pin that usually won't be is the joining pin, so it looks slightly different to the others

if it failed at a normal pin, or if the links where it snapped are bent, i'd bin the chain just in case, but if it was at the joining pin then as above, fit a missing link
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

mallorcajeff

Postby mallorcajeff » Mon Nov 12, 2012 16:34 pm

bad luck i think. Ive got a KMC on my bike that has done 6000 miles in the last 6 months and still not even partially worn on the park measuring tool (but i clean it thoroughly and re lube every two rides without fail so a lot of maintenance on my bike, I bought a bmc with an ultegra chain. Snapped it in 300 miles (second week of riding) so put a new kmc on it perfect ever since. As said about could replace but how is the rest of the chain? For what they cost put a KMC on it and have done with it. Bike might be a felt but what chain does it have? Does not always tall up sometimes they can cut corners on things people might not notice so much like a cheap chain or cheap tyres.

Reane_Machine

Postby Reane_Machine » Mon Nov 12, 2012 16:35 pm

I hoped it would be a case of back luck.

Might be worth upgrading to a SRAM chain, although the factory one is covered by the warranty (because 3 months is a shoddy amount of time for a mechanical failure really!) so I'll let them replace it first of all and if it happens again do it myself with a better one.

Annoying though, nothing worse than that feeling when the cranks go loose and you lose all tension... :(
Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

Road - Felt Z95 - FCN 3

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 14:24 pm

Was it a Shimano chain? They are rubbish.

SRAM or KMC seem far better.
Yellow is the new Black.

Reane_Machine

Postby Reane_Machine » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:05 am

It was a Sun-Race chain.

The manufacturer have sent me a new SRAM one yesterday, so i'll take that!

Road - Felt Z95 - FCN 3

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Sun Nov 18, 2012 16:46 pm

Was out on a club ride today. One of the riders has a new Felt (about 300 miles on it).

First link cracked on a climb so we fitted a quick link. 20 miles later another link cracks so I take it out and rejoin the chain. 10 miles later on a short but slightly steep climb another link fails. We limp to the cafe and another link pair is taken out. On close inspection, another link can be seen to be cracked. Miraculously, he gets the bike back to Leeds (another 25 miles) without another breakage. 4 link failures in about 45 miles......

Whoever in Felt decided to trash the brand reputation by pointlessly fitting wholly unfit for purpose chains needs to be kicked out on their backside.

Honestly, anyone who has bought a Felt recently, check if it has a Sunrace chain. If it has, find the address of the FELT Chief exec and wrap the thing round his throat until he agrees to put a proper chain on his bikes. You'd probably get a better chain on a Tesco BSO.
Faster than a tent.......

Reane_Machine

Postby Reane_Machine » Wed Nov 21, 2012 16:56 pm

Well I had never had it break before but it did have a tendency to skip every now and then, especially in the high gears.

I assume that because they sent me a SRAM chain instead of replacing the sun-race one they are aware of the problem, I was very surprised when I got the new chain but in a way i'm relieved to hear it's not just me that's had issues.

Road - Felt Z95 - FCN 3

Return to “Workshop”