The official TrainerRoad thread

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
mattshrops
Posts: 1150
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 22:18 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby mattshrops » Fri Nov 16, 2012 19:51 pm

Thanks for quick response Nate. I have emailed, hopefully it can be sorted.
As stated in my email i would like to keep the custom ride beta as that is the thing that convinced me to go ahead.

I also am prepared to accept occasional problems with a beta. Look forward to your reply.
Death or Glory- Just another Story

User avatar
Psychotext
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:04 am

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Psychotext » Sat Nov 17, 2012 14:55 pm

Quick question for those in the know... is it possible to use this in some sort of "record mode", so that you can just do a program that you're used to doing without having to create it in the software first?

Initially I just want to try the software to store my data rather than having a go on their specific workouts. Is it capable of this or am I wasting my time? Thanks.

User avatar
dw300
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 19:48 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby dw300 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 15:32 pm

Yup. I think these are what you're looking for .. http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/work ... ree%20ride
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

jamienorton
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 21:51 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby jamienorton » Sat Nov 17, 2012 15:50 pm

Just finished Antelope http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/106414 felt really strong for some reason, considering im a bit under the weather and had to go down to 90% on my last workout. Good workout, enjoyed it, hopefully ive got enough in the tank for 80 miles tomorrow weather permitting. Furthest so far is 50.

User avatar
JGSI
Posts: 3711
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 15:09 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby JGSI » Sat Nov 17, 2012 16:08 pm

jamienorton wrote:Just finished Antelope http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/106414 felt really strong for some reason, considering im a bit under the weather and had to go down to 90% on my last workout. Good workout, enjoyed it, hopefully ive got enough in the tank for 80 miles tomorrow weather permitting. Furthest so far is 50.


Did the same wrkout and very similar results - encouraging to see TR virtual power being this consistent.
By the way, TR guys are not reviewing the Satori power curves .

User avatar
Psychotext
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:04 am

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Psychotext » Sun Nov 18, 2012 00:25 am

dw300 wrote:Yup. I think these are what you're looking for .. http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/work ... ree%20ride

Excellent. Thanks. Looking forward to giving it a blast.

I'm a huge tech geek. :D

Stueys
Posts: 768
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 18:18 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Stueys » Sun Nov 18, 2012 07:04 am

JGSI wrote:By the way, TR guys are not reviewing the Satori power curves .


Really? That's a shame, they've got presumably more accurate data now?

jamienorton
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 21:51 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby jamienorton » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Ventured outdoors today, was meant to do 80 miles but my gloves weren't up to it so did 40 instead with just over 2000ft of climbing, nice day for it, drivers seemed almost too considerate, knocked a couple of minutes of a few Strava segments without really trying. So the time on the turbo seems to be helping already. Shame their not looking into the Satori profile.

User avatar
Simmotino
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Simmotino » Sun Nov 18, 2012 16:04 pm

Popped my indoor trainer cherry with my 20 minute test this morning.

Ouch. Very ouch :|

As a turbo novice, does it get easier to maintain a steady power output? Found it really hard to hit a cadence and sit there (as you can probably tell from my alpine-esque trace!). Not sure if that's down to me and my riding, or just a natural result of such accurate power tracking.

Totally hooked already though! :D

jamienorton
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 21:51 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby jamienorton » Sun Nov 18, 2012 16:31 pm

Welcome to the fun, yeah it does get easier, i thought the same when i first started, after 10 rides i feel ive pretty much got it under control now, still slightly all over the place but i think its more to do with my 11-36 cassette.

User avatar
dw300
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 19:48 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby dw300 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 17:17 pm

Simmotino wrote:Popped my indoor trainer cherry with my 20 minute test this morning.

Ouch. Very ouch :|

As a turbo novice, does it get easier to maintain a steady power output? Found it really hard to hit a cadence and sit there (as you can probably tell from my alpine-esque trace!). Not sure if that's down to me and my riding, or just a natural result of such accurate power tracking.

Totally hooked already though! :D


The more you ride beyond your means, the harder it is to ride steadily. The trainer's power curve tries to simulate road riding, so 150W takes approximately 8x more effort than 75W, 300W takes 8x more effort than 150W and 64x as much as 75W. The upshot of which means that when riding up near your FTP, even 10 or 20W more than FTP is much harder to maintain than adding 10-20W when riding at 150W as you're at a very steep part of the curve.

So now your FTP is worked off 280W, ideally when you come to try and increase that you'll want to ride the 20mins at say, 290W, as steadily as you can, rather than trying to ride and 300W and and hang in, because thats much harder to do even though is only sounds like a few Watts more.

Good effort though .. in the last 5 mins you were obviously in control but pushing to raise the power as much as possible with what you judged you had left in the tank. Riding FTP tests at current FTP and slowly ramping up in the final 5-10mins could well also be a good technique if you believe that you'll only be increasing by a few Watts and your last test was quite recent.
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

User avatar
Simmotino
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Simmotino » Sun Nov 18, 2012 17:32 pm

dw300 wrote:Good effort though .. in the last 5 mins you were obviously in control but pushing to raise the power as much as possible with what you judged you had left in the tank. Riding FTP tests at current FTP and slowly ramping up in the final 5-10mins could well also be a good technique if you believe that you'll only be increasing by a few Watts and your last test was quite recent.


Thanks. I'd like to say it was a conscious effort but in reality I went out at a pace I thought I could maintain (the initial 'dip' was a saddle shift for a numb ar$e!) but realised about half way through I was going to need to drop a gear to hit the 20 minutes.

From then I was concentrating only on the head unit for cadence and speed and was quite surprised at the fluctuation in power output when I looked, hence the question about maintaining output as experience grows.

The effect of closing in on the end of the test most likely accounted for the increase in power toward the 50 minute mark - I was hanging on for grim death at that point! :lol:

ExigeR
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 21:06 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby ExigeR » Sun Nov 18, 2012 18:08 pm

Just did the 3hour Balcony.

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/107070

Hadn't eaten anything since 9:00 this morning and then got on the turbo at 3:00 for 3 hours..... wont be doing that again.

3 weeks into the "20 Minute Power Accelerator" plan now and things seem to be going well at the moment, I'm starting to think TR could be the best £6 per month you can spend on yourself/bike.

ExigeR
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 21:06 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby ExigeR » Sun Nov 18, 2012 18:26 pm

Does anyone know what is more actuate with the calories used, on the last turbo i did my Garmin says 1920 used and TR says 2614 which is a big difference.

I know it doesn't matter that much but if TR is closer to what has been used I'm off for a burger :D

User avatar
springtide9
Posts: 1636
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 23:30 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby springtide9 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 22:14 pm

ExigeR wrote:Does anyone know what is more actuate with the calories used, on the last turbo i did my Garmin says 1920 used and TR says 2614 which is a big difference.

I know it doesn't matter that much but if TR is closer to what has been used I'm off for a burger :D


I think the general consensus is to pick the lowest one, and then half the value :wink:
Simon

ExigeR
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 21:06 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby ExigeR » Mon Nov 19, 2012 19:48 pm

ars*, i don't like salad will just have to work harder lol.

Popped my 300+ NP cherry tonight :)

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/107606

jamienorton
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 21:51 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby jamienorton » Mon Nov 19, 2012 19:53 pm

ExigeR wrote:ars*, i don't like salad will just have to work harder lol.

Popped my 300+ NP cherry tonight :)

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/107606


Jesus thats some power to weight ratio youve got there, good work. Exige is probably an appropriate username for you.
Last edited by jamienorton on Tue Nov 20, 2012 14:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattshrops
Posts: 1150
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 22:18 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby mattshrops » Mon Nov 19, 2012 22:03 pm

jamienorton wrote:
ExigeR wrote:ars*, i don't like salad will just have to work harder lol.

Popped my 300+ NP cherry tonight :)

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/107606


Jesus thats some power to weight ratio youve got there, good work. Exige is probably and appropriate username for you.



According to the coggan and allen book -Racing and training with a powermeter, your w/kg of 5.23 puts you into the top of the cat1 /bottom of domestic pro bracket. Very nice 8)
Death or Glory- Just another Story

User avatar
dw300
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 19:48 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby dw300 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 22:58 pm

ExigeR wrote:ars*, i don't like salad will just have to work harder lol.

Popped my 300+ NP cherry tonight :)

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/107606


Kudos, Reps, Like, +1 .. etc!!
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

User avatar
Simmotino
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Simmotino » Tue Nov 20, 2012 14:50 pm

ExigeR wrote:Popped my 300+ NP cherry tonight :)


Christ, fair play Exige! :shock:

Second run on the trainer today with Gayley and the power still isn't 'smooth' but a bit better than the 20 minute test on Sunday. The bike needs a couple of small tweaks for the trainer set up (mainly to the saddle) as suddenly I'm not comfortable any more hence the spikes on today's run, and the power smoothing option wasn't on either, so that might make a difference too.

Thinking about adding in a couple of gentle workouts to the Base Plan once I'm in to the second/third week as three rides a week isn't going to be enough for me I don't think, but won't extend that until I get a bit of fitness back.


Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Webboo and 4 guests