Tyre Damage?

Here is the place to post the more serious issues surrounding commuting, bike and kit questions, and buying advice
DCW

Tyre Damage?

Postby DCW » Sun Nov 18, 2012 20:18 pm

Hi there

Relatively new to the road bike/tyre thing, just wondering if this looks unuseable?

A bit annoyed as they are only about 3 months old :( would you commute tomorrow? Not sure when it happened

Cheers

oxoman

Re: Tyre Damage?

Postby oxoman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 21:56 pm

Can't see why not, just check that whatever caused it is not still in the hole, I tend to check my tyres every 2 to 3 weeks for bits embeded in the rubber. Just one thing though, are they Puncture resistant as they don't look that thick from the pic. Some people will suggest superglue in the split or similar or a patch at the back of the split. Unfortunately splits / cuts like this are common at this time of year as rain washes the debris into the edges of the road.
Moda Bolero with Shimano 105 Triple
Dawes Giro 300 Winter / Wet Commuter
Giant Anthem 27,5 SX

gosport_commuter

Postby gosport_commuter » Mon Nov 19, 2012 06:53 am

I have 1 or 2 cuts like this in my gatorskin, been there for about 2000 miles now, suffered no ill effect from them.

gavbarron

Postby gavbarron » Mon Nov 19, 2012 07:03 am

That's fine you'll get them over the winter. If you are really concerned, cut a piece of toothpaste tube and put it on the inside of the tyre. It's not as daft as it sounds. The inner tube won't be able to bulge out then if it is a bigger cut and nothing is ever getting in the other way.

DCW

Postby DCW » Mon Nov 19, 2012 14:48 pm

Cheers for the response guys. Made it in without brutally dieing :)

They are only the cheap tyres that came with the bike, will be getting some gator skins or similar when I have some cash or these get a bit worn

Cheers

Return to “Commuting General”