the Cyclo cross racing post

Go on, it is time to get Muddy
PuttyKnees

Re: the Cyclo cross racing post

Postby PuttyKnees » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:26 am

Anyone race at the national trophy? The course looked good on Saturday and was great to see Wyman and Harris doing well, but by Sunday it was sodden.

trickydisco

Postby trickydisco » Tue Nov 13, 2012 17:09 pm

Well it seems Bristol City council have put the kabosh on any cross races for the future

http://road.cc/content/news/70452-cycli ... t-our-land

Throughly disappointed with this

Tom Butcher

Postby Tom Butcher » Tue Nov 13, 2012 23:32 pm

I read the council are claiming that they've spent substantial amounts on reinstatement of the parks after cyclocross in the past. Might be worth someone asking for the exact figures - think a freedom of information act request on would make them cough up whether it's true or not.
------------------------
it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

MikeWW

Postby MikeWW » Wed Nov 14, 2012 23:05 pm

PuttyKnees wrote:Anyone race at the national trophy? The course looked good on Saturday and was great to see Wyman and Harris doing well, but by Sunday it was sodden.

Just saw this. I raced on the Sunday in the Grand Vets. Was wet and pretty hard going but happy with my 10th place.Stayed to watch the seniors and it was drier but getting very sticky. Some good racing

hammerite

Postby hammerite » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:09 am

trickydisco wrote:Well it seems Bristol City council have put the kabosh on any cross races for the future

http://road.cc/content/news/70452-cycli ... t-our-land

Throughly disappointed with this

I can kind of sympathise with the council really. The scar we left on a school field after just 2 hours of kids CX racing on Saturday was really quite shocking. A council has to keep all park users happy and if a lot of public parks are used then it's a big cost to get them back to the condition they were in.

Is it difficult to find different venues? I don't think our league takes place in any public parks. Lot's of school fields, 2 bike circuits (infield used), motorcross venue, water skiing park (surrounding fields), RAF base etc.... there are lot's of private venues happy to take the money for hosting an event and dealing with the aftermath - whilst also providing a good challenging course.

trickydisco

Postby trickydisco » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Thanks to Craig Denning (Dream CC) and a few others it seems the council are willing to sort this out.

Great news for bristol cross racers!

http://road.cc/content/news/70545-brist ... organisers

DavidBelcher

Postby DavidBelcher » Mon Nov 19, 2012 13:13 pm

Rode the Icknield RC Central League race just outside Luton yesterday, bumped into VamP after the event - was anyone else from BikeRadar there?
A cool but sunny day found me racing in shorts (blimey - no legwarmers needed) and dark glasses for the first time in a good while! Enjoyed the race, it was a fast yet technical course that left me with no choice but to be less pedestrian than normal with my cornering technique (I even found myself able to make up places by passing on bends). There were a few "big guns" away at the National Trophy yesterday, which didn't make the racing any less keenly fought. Half-way through I did have an "off" on a steep descent but slid along the grass with no real harm done!! Looking forward to seeing the official results as I might well have placed better than usual by my standards....

David
"It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal

VamP

Postby VamP » Mon Nov 19, 2012 15:01 pm

DavidBelcher wrote:Rode the Icknield RC Central League race just outside Luton yesterday, bumped into VamP after the event - was anyone else from BikeRadar there?
A cool but sunny day found me racing in shorts (blimey - no legwarmers needed) and dark glasses for the first time in a good while! Enjoyed the race, it was a fast yet technical course that left me with no choice but to be less pedestrian than normal with my cornering technique (I even found myself able to make up places by passing on bends). There were a few "big guns" away at the National Trophy yesterday, which didn't make the racing any less keenly fought. Half-way through I did have an "off" on a steep descent but slid along the grass with no real harm done!! Looking forward to seeing the official results as I might well have placed better than usual by my standards....

David

Hi David, nice to have met for real finally (and thanks for helping with my number).

I really enjoyed the race yesterday, very fun course, all eminently ride-able but with just the right amount of sketchiness to keep it interesting throughout. The weather added to the experience too.

I don't usually ride Central League races, so started right from the back, as there were no points to chase. This gave me the opportunity to practice my rarely used strategy of starting slow and gradually building speed throughout the race. Really curious to see how far up the field I managed to climb...

hammerite

Postby hammerite » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:04 am

I was at the Icknield race. Watched the kids races then made it back to watch the last lap of the seniors race before helping to break the course up. I'm now travelling around with a hundred odd course marking stakes and the lap board in the back of my car ready for our race on Sunday!

DavidBelcher

Postby DavidBelcher » Wed Nov 21, 2012 09:31 am

hammerite wrote:I was at the Icknield race. Watched the kids races then made it back to watch the last lap of the seniors race before helping to break the course up. I'm now travelling around with a hundred odd course marking stakes and the lap board in the back of my car ready for our race on Sunday!

Apologies if I might have seen you without saying hello - presumably you were in 'civvies' rather than any BRCC kit?

David

hammerite

Postby hammerite » Thu Nov 22, 2012 09:56 am

No worries David. Yes I was in civvies, I literally got there just before the end, so it's possible you didn't even go past me. Anyway you should be easier to recognise as you'd be in club kit.

DavidBelcher

Postby DavidBelcher » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:02 am

Did any Central Leaguers on BR tackle Box End on Sunday? It looked horrendous judging by the photos!

In contrast, the Wessex races at Thruxton were bordering on the bone-dry (some mud and cutting up in places admittedly) thanks to the chalky soil draining efficiently overnight - it made for some fast racing in spite of some intermittent rain towards the end of the Senior event on through into the J/V/W one (after all the racing was finished the heavens well and truly opened so we were quite lucky). It was my fourth outing at the venue, but the first edition I actually enjoyed riding (the pesky sandpit had gone this year). However, the results and lap scoring seem a bit wayward based on the placings I got via e-mail. :(

David

hammerite

Postby hammerite » Tue Nov 27, 2012 20:42 pm

Didn't race but was there helping out David. We got there on Saturday to set up to find a 1/4 mile section underwater shortening the course. We managed to work around this. We then had a job on our hands first thing as the weather overnight managed to undo a lot of the work we'd put in on getting the course ready on Saturday including another section of the course 3ft under water! We had to make up a new start and finish line as we couldn't get a vehicle close to what we wanted to use as the course. A bit of improvisation sorted this out.

So what ensued once the races began can only be termed as carnage, but the majority had big grins on their faces, so it seemed to go down well.

DavidBelcher

Postby DavidBelcher » Wed Nov 28, 2012 09:41 am

hammerite wrote:So what ensued once the races began can only be termed as carnage, but the majority had big grins on their faces, so it seemed to go down well.

Could you actually see the riders' grins beneath all of that mud? ;)

I'm wondering what Chiltern Edge will be like this weekend, seem to recall last year's edition was a bit slippery in parts.

David

hammerite

Postby hammerite » Wed Nov 28, 2012 18:51 pm

The grins were fine, it was spotting their number that was the problem. Thick mud makes working out finishing positions a bit of a task!

DavidBelcher

Postby DavidBelcher » Mon Dec 03, 2012 09:28 am

Seriously chilly at Sonning Common yesterday afternoon, took a while for some of the grassy bits to thaw out. I rode in about 3 layers of kit as a result! Good fun though, slippery conditions with more running on the slopes required made it a tougher challenge than last years edition, even if (thankfully) it didn't seem as windy this time around.

David

MikeWW

Postby MikeWW » Mon Dec 03, 2012 19:38 pm

Raced in the National Trophy at South Shields yesterday (Grand vets) Hovering about freezing but not much wind so was OK. Cracking start but couldn't hold it and lost a couple of places. Had a close battle with 3 or 4 guys and ended up 6th which was my best placing in a National event-roll on next Sunday and the Midlands Regional Champs :D

PuttyKnees

Postby PuttyKnees » Wed Dec 05, 2012 13:21 pm

Well done Mike. Looked pretty frosty on the course for the vets. I'll say hi on the start line of the mids if I see you.

DavidBelcher

Postby DavidBelcher » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:08 am

Anyone else on the forum ride their area's relevant Regional championships at the weekend? I was well back in last place at the South of England Seniors event - didn't really have the head or the legs for it thanks to a tough week at work and an upcoming job interview playing on my mind. Being on the tall side, the windy conditions didn't make it a barrel of laughs either. Saw the whole race through without quitting, though, and scraped together enough points to cement a top-20 Wessex League finish. I've probably accrued enough points to better last season's tally, yet sadly without the luxury of a higher league place than last time around. :(

That's my Wessex League campaign done and dusted for 2012-2013, with my final Central counting event to get in the bag on Sunday then all that remains are two "just for fun" outings at the Herne Hill Double-Cross on the 22nd and the Macclesfield Supercross a week or so later....

David

PuttyKnees

Postby PuttyKnees » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:22 pm

I did the midlands championships in the vet40s. I quite enjoyed it, though there was quite a bit of running and technical stuff. We were told on the start line we'd be doing 40 minutes. 60 minutes later I was still puffing away so I guess I got my money's worth! Was happy with my finish, which has given me a bit of confidence to enter the national trophy in the new year. I may turn out to regret that though. Three more races in our league left, plus any extras, so season still going strong, even if the body is telling me it should be the end.

Return to “Cyclocross”