Red lights and other traffic stuff.

The centre for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Newfish

Red lights and other traffic stuff.

Postby Newfish » Tue Nov 20, 2012 09:18 am

Firstly I'd like to say that I know that as a cyclist we are supposed to obey the same rules of the road as cars.

However, do we? The other day I was shouted at for jumping a red light. Now I am fully aware that we should adhere to the rules of the road, however as a cyclist we can usually sit further forward than cars at lights and see when they are going to change before car drivers, so I personally don't see any problem with jumping the light if it is going to change anyhow and being out of the way for when the cars move off.

There is also the long pedestrian crossing lights debate, now if there are lots of pedestrians walking across and it's not safe then of course stop, but if there is one person crossing then what is the harm in slowly rolling through and getting on your way.

The other thing, whilst I'm at it, that has frustrated me since starting cycling again is cycle paths. I'm not talking about the ones that weave through the country side but the red strip by the main road. How is it that they have made these so uneven? I haven't been shouted at yet, but give it time, but given the choice I prefer to ride on the road which invariably is much smoother than the cycle path that is like riding on rumble strips, and I have a HT not a road bike!

What are people's thoughts? What would you change to make cycling better or safer?
Cheers,
Simon.

miss notax

Re: Red lights and other traffic stuff.

Postby miss notax » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:02 pm

Hmmmm.

Personally, I think that those cyclists that DON'T obey the rules of the road are playing right into the hands of all the anti-cycling folk who think we are all prats.....

Maybe i'm just a bit old fashioned but I always obey the rules of the road - they are rules for a reason. Otherwise what's the point?!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

anton1r

Postby anton1r » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:20 pm

Newfish wrote:....
The other day I was shouted at for jumping a red light. Now I am fully aware that we should adhere to the rules of the road, however as a cyclist we can usually sit further forward than cars at lights and see when they are going to change before car drivers, so I personally don't see any problem with jumping the light if it is going to change anyhow and being out of the way for when the cars move off.

It's wrong but I go on amber too, never had any abuse for it but I reckon drivers are just happy to have you out the way. Though it does depends how early you jump.

Newfish wrote:There is also the long pedestrian crossing lights debate, now if there are lots of pedestrians walking across and it's not safe then of course stop, but if there is one person crossing then what is the harm in slowly rolling through and getting on your way.

Not really acceptable you never know when a ped will appear from nowhere and step out to cross on a green man, in which case it's all your fault.

Newfish wrote:The other thing, whilst I'm at it, that has frustrated me since starting cycling again is cycle paths. I'm not talking about the ones that weave through the country side but the red strip by the main road. How is it that they have made these so uneven? I haven't been shouted at yet, but give it time, but given the choice I prefer to ride on the road which invariably is much smoother than the cycle path that is like riding on rumble strips, and I have a HT not a road bike!

Sounds like you've got some terrible cycleways. the worst of them around here is when a drain cover takes a decent % of it up. There's no requirement for you to cycle in them just because they are provided.

All IMO of course, I'm no model cyclist. I know I do some things I probably shouldn't but I've never had any grief for them, My mantra is to ride courteously and defensively.
"I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)

EH_Rob

Postby EH_Rob » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:22 pm

It's not that clear cut for me. In some situations I think it's better to just get clear of a junction or whatever before cars start to move, if I can see its safe then I might go. Or I might not. In other situations it's better to wait. Common sense is the key thing - most people here in Edinburgh (drivers and cyclists) seem to have it, and generally speaking everyone gets on ok. Never had a problem really.

At the risk of generalising (ah well) I think that quite a lot of the anti-cycling folk don't really care whether cyclists obey the rules or not - they'll whinge and moan about cyclists whatever. If they're not whinging about cyclists (or the congestion that would result if everyone drove a car) they'll likely be found whinging about petrol prices, immigration, or banks, racism in football, PPI phonecalls etc. Or how fat they are.

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:23 pm

EH_Rob wrote:At the risk of generalising (ah well) I think that quite a lot of the anti-cycling folk don't really care whether cyclists obey the rules or not - they'll whinge and moan about cyclists whatever. If they're not whinging about cyclists (or the congestion that would result if everyone drove a car) they'll likely be found whinging about petrol prices, immigration, or banks, racism in football, PPI phonecalls etc. Or how fat they are.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

welshkev

Postby welshkev » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:39 pm

I'll be honest when i used to ride to work i'd go through red/amber lights - obviously not at busy junctions, but at junctions where i could see it wasn't dangerous.

i did have a guy see me do it once and deliberatly try and knock me off the bike - how do i know he was trying to do it? because he stopped and told me so...cnut!

i also had a bin lorry try and run me over because apparently "he had more right to be there and cyclists shouldn't be on the road" i did ask that guy if he'd like to explain that to me around the corner whilst shouting obsenities to him - he refused...not my best moment i admit :lol:
like music? check out: www.rredracer.com

jonomc4

Postby jonomc4 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:40 pm

I follow simple rules - Obey all the rules of the road

except

1) I will go over a pedestrian crossing when the lights are red if no one is on it - if there is even a single person I stop - also on Zebra crossings I stop if someone is waiting to cross.

2 At junctions I sop at red lights but I will make a left turn - but only if there is not a motorbike, bike, lorry or bus coming from the other way as these vehicles tend to be more on the left.

I sometimes hate sitting at lights waiting for them to change when I know I could easily and safely go through them - but I stay there not for me but to help all cyclist not get a bad rep - no matter how safe it is, the drivers waiting there will just see a cyclist going through a red whilst they are stuck there and they will hate you for it.

Ginjafro

Postby Ginjafro » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:53 pm

I prefer to obay the rules and not RLJ. I don't do it whilst driving so why should I when I cycle. Also, ask yourself this question: What are you going to do with those few seconds you saved RLJing and reinforcing the image of poorly disciplined cyclists, save the world, right a book, learn another language? Seriously, I don't see the point in rushing about and saving the odd second here or there. If your late your late, so what.
Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
Cove Hustler
Planet X Pro-Carbon

EH_Rob

Postby EH_Rob » Tue Nov 20, 2012 13:10 pm

Ginjafro wrote:I prefer to obay the rules and not RLJ. I don't do it whilst driving so why should I when I cycle. Also, ask yourself this question: What are you going to do with those few seconds you saved RLJing and reinforcing the image of poorly disciplined cyclists, save the world, right a book, learn another language? Seriously, I don't see the point in rushing about and saving the odd second here or there. If your late your late, so what.

Time waits for no man, unless that man is Chuck Norris.

Seriously though, I don't care if I'm late, I just think there are situations where its better if the cyclist can move off before traffic as long as its safe for them to do so. To not do that for the sake of not wanting to jump a red light (the pattern of which has been designed mainly with motor vehicles in mind) and possibly annoy someone (who is pretty intolerant if that sort of thing is enough to annoy them) doesn't make any sense to me.

njee20

Postby njee20 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 13:12 pm

RLJers deserve to be flattened by a lorry. People who ride through at 0.5mph and then nonchalantly continue as though it was fine are just penises.

If you don't ride the way you drive (including pedestrian crossings and left turning on red) then you can't really expect any respect from drivers.

The police have been stopping and fining riders in London the last few weeks, brilliant idea IMO. Selfish dicks.

And breathe.

EH_Rob

Postby EH_Rob » Tue Nov 20, 2012 13:22 pm

I can't think of anything positive or nice to say so I won't bother unless this moves to the CC. To be fair there is an entire forum elsewhere for this.

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Tue Nov 20, 2012 13:47 pm

anton1r wrote:
Newfish wrote:....
The other day I was shouted at for jumping a red light. Now I am fully aware that we should adhere to the rules of the road, however as a cyclist we can usually sit further forward than cars at lights and see when they are going to change before car drivers, so I personally don't see any problem with jumping the light if it is going to change anyhow and being out of the way for when the cars move off.

It's wrong but I go on amber too, never had any abuse for it but I reckon drivers are just happy to have you out the way. Though it does depends how early you jump.

Incredibly stupid! Have you ever considered that drivers / cyclists at the other set of lights may be taking similar risks by failing to stop on amber (or red)? At some point you will collide with a similarly stupid road user :?

Where I live its not even safe to go on green because of RLJers, both two and four wheeled!!!! :evil:

njee20

Postby njee20 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 14:05 pm

Shhhh! It's natural selection, leave 'em to it :-)

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Tue Nov 20, 2012 14:22 pm

:oops: whoops, I forgot

supersonic
Lives Here

Postby supersonic » Tue Nov 20, 2012 17:13 pm

No wonder drivers have a bad image of cyclists. If a car was to do it there would be an uproar.

Greer_

Postby Greer_ » Tue Nov 20, 2012 18:53 pm

I always obey the rules of the road. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to complain about all the cyclists giving us a bad name!

Woodmonkey

Postby Woodmonkey » Tue Nov 20, 2012 20:01 pm

Rules are made to be broken, on bike or in car/van. :twisted:
pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Tue Nov 20, 2012 20:25 pm

Woodmonkey wrote:Rules are made to be broken, on bike or in car/van. :twisted:

Wow, that's deep dude :roll:

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Tue Nov 20, 2012 20:29 pm

Woodmonkey wrote:Rules are made to be broken, on bike or in car/van. :twisted:

Presumably you still have a few more years on Playstation before you hit puberty.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

Woodmonkey

Postby Woodmonkey » Tue Nov 20, 2012 20:44 pm

What's a play station?
pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo

Return to “The Hub”