Contador Interview

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
frenchfighter

Contador Interview

Postby frenchfighter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 15:16 pm

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/alb ... -is-to-win

Good read.

As for the Classics, Contador says he has come to the conclusion that, “they are a lottery for me”, although he adds that he has a huge appreciation of their history and affection for them. For proof of this, recall that in April 2010 he drove more than 1,500 kilometres across Spain and France to race La Flèche Wallone and Liège-Bastogne-Liège when a cloud of volcanic ash made air travel impossible. “Contador doing that was the greatest thing about Ardennes Week,” said Bernard Hinault at the time.

“For a Tour route to favour me, it’s got to be a normal route. Last year was different, not that good for the race, where there was a lot of time trialling and that was where the differences [on GC] were all established.

“It reminded me of my first Tour victory back in 2007, when there was 115km of time trialling.” That’s compared to just over 100km in 2012.

“But the difference was that in 2007 there were enough mountain stages to create a balance: Plateau de Beille, Peyresourde, Aubisque. You could attack the time triallists, whereas this year I don’t think the route of the Tour has been the most suitable in all senses: visually, in terms of spectacle and in terms of the race itself because there was nowhere to attack.

“There were really hard stages, lots of climbing, days that people don’t appreciate as being hard unless you were riding a bike in the race. But at the end of the day, if there is no final climb, it’s much harder to create those differences.

“The Vuelta was the complete opposite, though I think having 10 summit finishes as the Vuelta did was over the top. But in that sense, I believe far more in summit finishes than in stages that finish 20 kilometres after a climb.”
Contador is the Greatest

frenchfighter

Re: Contador Interview

Postby frenchfighter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 15:38 pm

Certified heavyweight, pure racer, complete champion.

Contador is the Greatest

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Tue Nov 20, 2012 16:31 pm

Forgot doper...

I almost feel bad...
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 16:44 pm

almost but not quite, eh, ddraver... :)

ThomThom

Postby ThomThom » Tue Nov 20, 2012 17:24 pm

Spot on: “The Vuelta was the complete opposite, though I think having 10 summit finishes as the Vuelta did was over the top. But in that sense, I believe far more in summit finishes than in stages that finish 20 kilometres after a climb.”

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 17:26 pm

ThomThom wrote:Spot on: “The Vuelta was the complete opposite, though I think having 10 summit finishes as the Vuelta did was over the top. But in that sense, I believe far more in summit finishes than in stages that finish 20 kilometres after a climb.”

First thing I've ever agreed with him on

Mooro

Postby Mooro » Tue Nov 20, 2012 19:15 pm

ddraver wrote:Forgot doper...

I almost feel bad...

A class guy i reckon doper or not. We saw him after the vuelta stage into Jaca this year cycling back up to the hotel. He looks a bit like this photo, very very skinny but with quite a big head - odd! He was great with our kids after a hard stage when he didnt really have to be - his comically fast eating of three bananas in about 5 seconds amused my lad.

Also stopped for some banter with the local police too when all of the other riders scooted past and went straight into the hotel.

twotyred

Postby twotyred » Tue Nov 20, 2012 20:22 pm

Certified heavyweight, pure racer, complete champion

People used to think the same of this guy.

Steak-Boy's time will come

jerry3571

Postby jerry3571 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 20:44 pm

twotyred wrote:
Certified heavyweight, pure racer, complete champion

People used to think the same of this guy.

Steak-Boy's time will come

I think you mean Steak Boy's time will come again. :lol:

confused@BR

Postby confused@BR » Tue Nov 20, 2012 21:21 pm

I hate it. I do so want to admire him, he seems such a pleasant, humble , man with so much talent as a cyclist. He has undergone personal trials and tribulations, yet overcome them. Personable, popular, without any apparent 'side', so much to admire. He rides a full programme each year, aggressively looking to win at every opportunity, the best rider in the peloton.

Then you get 'Clen' and all the doubts emerge, dodgy contacts and teams, no unequivocal rebuttal of doping, no longer quite as dominating when he makes a change of pace in the high mountains. Was he on 'the sauce' back in the day? Is he clean now? Or just better prepared?

I hate it.
'fool'

deejay

Postby deejay » Tue Nov 20, 2012 21:44 pm

frenchfighter wrote:Certified heavyweight, pure racer, complete Grand Tour champion.

found to be a Miniscule doper.
They really had to dig deep to find anything and the high research cost to do so. (Cancer research perhaps)

twotyred wrote:People used to think the same of this guy.
Did they the Morons. (I won't do the pic)
Never because I picked him as a Fraud (on some sort of Juice) in July 1999, before your Internet. (Pity that)
It was there before your eyes, which shows how many dumb bastards there are in this cycling world.

twotyred

Postby twotyred » Tue Nov 20, 2012 21:55 pm

Come on. He was blood doping but they could only do him for the clenbuterol- and if it is miniscule that somehow makes it alright? If it was a miniscule quantity why was he taking it? If you were so perceptive about Armstrong why has Contador taken you in?

Mooro

Postby Mooro » Tue Nov 20, 2012 22:14 pm

twotyred wrote:

Come on. He was blood doping but they could only do him for the clenbuterol- and if it is miniscule that somehow makes it alright? If it was a miniscule quantity why was he taking it? If you were so perceptive about Armstrong why has Contador taken you in?

I think he just meant he was short. he was when we saw him.

RoadPainter

Postby RoadPainter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 22:37 pm

twotyred wrote:

Indeed. Isn't it true that he'd have been done for blood doping, but they couldn't start as he was already being done from Clen (only allowed one doping violation per event)

His lawyers did a fantastic job at CAS - preventing evidence that would've pretty much proved blood doping - yet he still got done. Unlucky!

jerry3571

Postby jerry3571 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 22:40 pm

twotyred wrote:

Don't forget Plasticisers too; probably from Doping Blood Bags. I read that Ferrari thought AC was a bit of a plonker using this type of bag as he had bags which were undetectable from any tests. See, AC should have stuck it out with Ferrari then he wouldn't have got himself in the mess he ended up in. Well.. unless he was spotted with Ferarri then he'd be in the poop by being seen with him. It's tricky being a bike rider like AC; a doper. :wink:

Jerry :D

chrisday

Postby chrisday » Tue Nov 20, 2012 22:43 pm

confused@BR wrote:I hate it. I do so want to admire him, he seems such a pleasant, humble , man with so much talent as a cyclist. He has undergone personal trials and tribulations, yet overcome them. Personable, popular, without any apparent 'side', so much to admire. He rides a full programme each year, aggressively looking to win at every opportunity, the best rider in the peloton.

Then you get 'Clen' and all the doubts emerge, dodgy contacts and teams, no unequivocal rebuttal of doping, no longer quite as dominating when he makes a change of pace in the high mountains. Was he on 'the sauce' back in the day? Is he clean now? Or just better prepared?

I hate it.

+1

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Wed Nov 21, 2012 07:17 am

Gee wiz, some of you are so up-tight. I feel sorry for you. I will just take huge enjoyment out of being a Contador fan as do those that are...the rest of you are missing out.
Contador is the Greatest

bompington

Postby bompington » Wed Nov 21, 2012 07:26 am

frenchfighter wrote:Gee wiz, some of you are so up-tight. I feel sorry for you. I will just take huge enjoyment out of being a Contador fan as do those that are...the rest of you are missing out.

Don't worry, you can be assured that we all take huge enjoyment out of you being a Contador fan too.

jerry3571

Postby jerry3571 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 09:03 am

frenchfighter wrote:Gee wiz, some of you are so up-tight. I feel sorry for you. I will just take huge enjoyment out of being a Contador fan as do those that are...the rest of you are missing out.

Beleiving in Contador is like beleiving in a Husband or Wife who can't help shagging other people. At some point the word "Trust" comes in to the equation. Once the bond of trust has been broken then it's hard to rebuild.

I must say that it's hard enough to beleive in anyone in bike racing, let alone a rider who has been proven to have had a chemical in his body which has no place being there. Clenbuterol should not have been found in anyone's blood, let alone Contadors. Any amounts of Clenbuterol is a straight ban as there is no excuse for it being there.
The detection tests for Clenbuterol were improved and he got caught.

Jerry

PS- Just a small thought; if Bruyneel/ LA had anything to do with AC's dope testing then they could have had a hand in AC's positive result, like with our freind Mr Frank Shrek (quoted as "being poisoned"). LA did have a lot of people on the inside and most ex Postal/Discovery/Astana riders; have seemed to have been caught for doping after exiting the Team. Bit fishy!! :roll:

PPS- I do realise I may have contradicted myself there. :wink:

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Wed Nov 21, 2012 09:39 am

I'm not reading these posts so dont bother replying.

I'm unsubscribing.

You guys are a joke.
Contador is the Greatest

Return to “Pro Race”