Pinch punctures question.

New to this MTB'ing lark? Come on in...
RandG

Pinch punctures question.

Postby RandG » Tue Nov 20, 2012 22:29 pm

Recently had a couple of pinch punctures, while checking the tubes, they are 1.75 - 2.125, my tyres are 2.2. Is it likely to be the reason for the punctures being the tubes are too narrow for the tyre ??

mattv

Re: Pinch punctures question.

Postby mattv » Tue Nov 20, 2012 22:51 pm

Insufficient tyre pressure for terrain, width of tyre or your weight, or all 3. If it happens at a higher pressure, seriously consider tubeless.

Greer_

Postby Greer_ » Tue Nov 20, 2012 22:59 pm

Probably not enough air in your tyres. The tube size won't affect it.

Alibran

Postby Alibran » Wed Nov 21, 2012 19:21 pm

I found replacing the lightweight racing tyres and tubes that came with the bike for something tougher made a huge difference.

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Wed Nov 21, 2012 22:26 pm

May help right on a marginal pinch, but I doubt it makes that much difference......

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Wed Nov 21, 2012 22:36 pm

Pressure and picking your line.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

Alibran

Postby Alibran » Thu Nov 22, 2012 14:49 pm

The Beginner wrote:May help right on a marginal pinch, but I doubt it makes that much difference......

Well, I replaced Schwalbe Racing Ralphs with Conti Mountain King II ProTection, and the difference is the MKs have sidewalls that feel like rubber, and the RRs feel like paper. At the same pressures, same terrain, same riding style, I've had about 8 hours trouble free from the MKs (which isn't a lot, I admit, but they haven't been on the bike long.) The RRs had a pinch flat within 10 minutes, and I was forced to run them a lot harder than I'm comfortable with to prevent it.

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Thu Nov 22, 2012 14:53 pm

Alibran wrote:
The Beginner wrote:May help right on a marginal pinch, but I doubt it makes that much difference......

Well, I replaced Schwalbe Racing Ralphs with Conti Mountain King II ProTection, and the difference is the MKs have sidewalls that feel like rubber, and the RRs feel like paper. At the same pressures, same terrain, same riding style, I've had about 8 hours trouble free from the MKs (which isn't a lot, I admit, but they haven't been on the bike long.) The RRs had a pinch flat within 10 minutes, and I was forced to run them a lot harder than I'm comfortable with to prevent it.

He was probably replying to the OP not you.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

jimothy78

Postby jimothy78 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 18:11 pm

A bit of anecodotal evidence to support the "tougher tyres" suggestion:

Yesterday I was struggling for grip, so let a load of air out of my tyres. Hopped back on the bike and realised I'd gone too far, but had not taken my pump with me as I was only quick blast in the woods near my house. Anyway, my return route included a very rocky section which amazingly left my tubes unscathed - amazing since when I got home and checked my pressures they were 11psi front, 16psi rear. By rights, my tubes should have resembled a colander. I was running my Conti barons, though, in the harder compound, so imagine it was these that saved me from punctures.

Return to “MTB Beginners”