Silly commuting racing

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
User avatar
pangolin
Posts: 1470
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 14:06 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby pangolin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 18:40 pm

pangolin wrote:Looks like it might be dry for the commute, but definitely windy :(


Couldn't have been more wrong! Tipped it down as I entered RP. Really struggled to put montane featherlite on in the wind.

Thought I was solo till I saw a light right behind me going up Ballet School hill. He overtook me at the top, was riding a black singlespeed. Anyone here? I stayed with him for a bit, decided to pass along between Pen Ponds and Ham Cross. Went past at a decent pace. He sprints past me a few seconds later, out of the saddle, to hold the lead for all of 20 seconds before going a different direction at the Cross.

Well played! :D You lost serious points when you free-wheeled over the crossing though.

iPete wrote:Real men ride fixies, fact.
Genesis Croix de Fer

MrSweary
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 09:19 am

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby MrSweary » Tue Nov 20, 2012 19:55 pm

What a simply delightful ride home...
Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0

andynotts
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 11:43 am
Contact:

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby andynotts » Tue Nov 20, 2012 20:53 pm

Hi Rob

You'll see me mostly on a Dolan Ares in red, black and white, I go in pretty early but usually hit parliament square before 6 on the trip home.

Wrath Rob wrote:
andynotts wrote:Hi guys
Swapped job recently and am commuting Southfields to Moorgate. Just got told about SCR, Chelsea Embankment felt like a bit of a race track now I know it is. See you on the roads.

Hi Andy, that sounds very similar to my commute. What are you riding? I'll keep an eye out for you :twisted:

User avatar
Wrath Rob
Posts: 2757
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 21:53 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Wrath Rob » Tue Nov 20, 2012 22:15 pm

TGOTB wrote:
Wrath Rob wrote:Just got home after a nasty little ride. Its wet and very windy out there. Keep it safe people.

Always nice to have the afternoon off :-)

Unfortunately its not through choice :(
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

User avatar
rjsterry
Posts: 8506
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 18:26 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby rjsterry » Tue Nov 20, 2012 22:55 pm

pangolin wrote:
pangolin wrote:Looks like it might be dry for the commute, but definitely windy :(


Couldn't have been more wrong! Tipped it down as I entered RP. Really struggled to put montane featherlite on in the wind.

Thought I was solo till I saw a light right behind me going up Ballet School hill. He overtook me at the top, was riding a black singlespeed. Anyone here? I stayed with him for a bit, decided to pass along between Pen Ponds and Ham Cross. Went past at a decent pace. He sprints past me a few seconds later, out of the saddle, to hold the lead for all of 20 seconds before going a different direction at the Cross.

Well played! :D You lost serious points when you free-wheeled over the crossing though.

iPete wrote:Real men ride fixies, fact.


Must have been very patchy: just on-off drizzle for me, but still plenty of wind. Tomorrow is looking much worse, with flood warnings, and 30mph, gusting to 40mph winds are forecast for Thursday :(

Bit of a sketchy ride for me. Nearly got barged by some waste of space in a Vauxhall Corsa, racing for the lights, and saw, what must have been six or seven ambulances speeding on one direction or another. Glad to get in off the road.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

User avatar
willy b
Posts: 4091
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 20:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby willy b » Wed Nov 21, 2012 09:21 am

Grim. That is all.

User avatar
coriordan
Posts: 5339
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 21:11 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby coriordan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 09:24 am

Nearly got up early to join the hordes on cs8. Alarm went off, saw it was soaking. No-thank-a-you.

User avatar
UndercoverElephant
Posts: 5444
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 09:04 am

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby UndercoverElephant » Wed Nov 21, 2012 09:27 am

Had to get home sharp last night as Mrs. Elephant had to be somewhere. Got changed and realised that the nose bit of my right cleat had sheared off - I had some replacements on my desk, but decided that it would probably by quicker to ride home without fitting them...

What a lovely coincidence that I met the fastest rider I've seen in ages on the ride home. I was trying to keep my pedalling style in the heel-down mode and when riding smoothly in this mode I was able to go past said rider without too much bother. He didn't like that. He didn't like it at all. He went past me at a rate of knots, so I went to latch on, but the sudden increase in power made my foot drop out of the pedal, and I knacked myself on the saddle.

Smoothness, Elephant, smoothness. I caught him up and overtook again. Again my foot came out, but I recovered quicker this time and kept the lead.

The lead changed a few times over the next four miles, mainly when my foot lost contact with the pedal and I crushed my knackers, but, eventually I overtook on a slight incline and powered away. He turned off the road soon after that.

Moral of the story: Fit new cleats when you can; It hurts a lot otherwise.

User avatar
pangolin
Posts: 1470
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 14:06 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby pangolin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 09:30 am

willy b wrote:Grim. That is all.


Quite fun though! Glad I found my old raceblades last night and put them on...
Genesis Croix de Fer

Paul E
Posts: 2038
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 17:26 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Paul E » Wed Nov 21, 2012 09:34 am

pangolin wrote:
willy b wrote:Grim. That is all.


Quite fun though! Glad I found my old raceblades last night and put them on...


Glad I have mine on too, odd patchy rain this morning but for later it's "supposed" to dry up and the wind drop a bit before it goes crazy ape bonkers tomorrow.
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

User avatar
notsoblue
Posts: 5771
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 18:08 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby notsoblue » Wed Nov 21, 2012 09:45 am

Could I get the view of the Hive Mind on something? Was riding along CS8 this morning under the Victoria Railway Bridge, passed the traffic lights, and at the section where the doubledeckers are usually parked I overtook a slower cyclist, passing over the CS8 line by less than a foot. I very very clearly indicated that I was going to pass well in advance by putting a hand out and doing a shoulder check to make sure it was clear to do so. So as I was overtaking, a police car came from behind and blared its siren in the same way you'd use a horn if you were annoyed. It was so loud the female cyclist I was overtaking shrieked out of shock and wobbled. I'd given her enough space so there was no serious chance of an accident. As the police passed they were gesturing out of the window.

Who was in the wrong here?

User avatar
dhope
Posts: 6131
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 16:15 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby dhope » Wed Nov 21, 2012 09:47 am

notsoblue wrote:Could I get the view of the Hive Mind on something? Was riding along CS8 this morning under the Victoria Railway Bridge, passed the traffic lights, and at the section where the doubledeckers are usually parked I overtook a slower cyclist, passing over the CS8 line by less than a foot. I very very clearly indicated that I was going to pass well in advance by putting a hand out and doing a shoulder check to make sure it was clear to do so. So as I was overtaking, a police car came from behind and blared its siren in the same way you'd use a horn if you were annoyed. It was so loud the female cyclist I was overtaking shrieked out of shock and wobbled. I'd given her enough space so there was no serious chance of an accident. As the police passed they were gesturing out of the window.

Who was in the wrong here?

Police. Driver was being a cnut.
And using the siren to intimidate is not good :roll:
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

User avatar
rjsterry
Posts: 8506
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 18:26 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby rjsterry » Wed Nov 21, 2012 09:47 am

notsoblue wrote:Could I get the view of the Hive Mind on something? Was riding along CS8 this morning under the Victoria Railway Bridge, passed the traffic lights, and at the section where the doubledeckers are usually parked I overtook a slower cyclist, passing over the CS8 line by less than a foot. I very very clearly indicated that I was going to pass well in advance by putting a hand out and doing a shoulder check to make sure it was clear to do so. So as I was overtaking, a police car came from behind and blared its siren in the same way you'd use a horn if you were annoyed. It was so loud the female cyclist I was overtaking shrieked out of shock and wobbled. I'd given her enough space so there was no serious chance of an accident. As the police passed they were gesturing out of the window.

Who was in the wrong here?


The police car was. Classic ignorance from someone who should know better.

Terrible night with both littl'uns up, one twice, and that awful moment when you look at the clock and wonder whether it's worth going back to bed, or just getting up. Woke up with a stuffed up head as well, so pootled in on the direct route, letting all and sundry past. Bleurgh!
Last edited by rjsterry on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

User avatar
UndercoverElephant
Posts: 5444
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 09:04 am

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby UndercoverElephant » Wed Nov 21, 2012 09:49 am

notsoblue wrote:As the police passed they were gesturing out of the window.


I'm intrigued, what was the gesture?

User avatar
notsoblue
Posts: 5771
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 18:08 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby notsoblue » Wed Nov 21, 2012 09:58 am

UndercoverElephant wrote:
notsoblue wrote:As the police passed they were gesturing out of the window.


I'm intrigued, what was the gesture?

Nothing too offensive tbh, but they made it very clear they thought I was doing something wrong and was getting in their way. I stopped to take a picture of the numberplate when they were stuck in traffic a bit further up. I'm almost tempted to actually make a complaint about it.

User avatar
Koncordski
Posts: 974
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 15:55 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Koncordski » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:04 am

notsoblue wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:
notsoblue wrote:As the police passed they were gesturing out of the window.


I'm intrigued, what was the gesture?

Nothing too offensive tbh, but they made it very clear they thought I was doing something wrong and was getting in their way. I stopped to take a picture of the numberplate when they were stuck in traffic a bit further up. I'm almost tempted to actually make a complaint about it.


I would, there's nothing to say you have to stay inside of that line. If you indicated and pulled out safely then he's just intimidating you. I'd have given him a gesture myself, to$$er. :roll:
----------------
#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

jds_1981
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 22:47 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby jds_1981 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:28 am

I had a twunt pip at me from behind on the way in on an open road. suspect he'd been held up by a minute or two by a bus that had rear-ended a car a little way back.
FCN 9 || FCN 5

Paul E
Posts: 2038
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 17:26 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Paul E » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:58 am

notsoblue wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:
notsoblue wrote:As the police passed they were gesturing out of the window.


I'm intrigued, what was the gesture?

Nothing too offensive tbh, but they made it very clear they thought I was doing something wrong and was getting in their way. I stopped to take a picture of the numberplate when they were stuck in traffic a bit further up. I'm almost tempted to actually make a complaint about it.


So they didn't benfit from basically bullying you, report them for sure, maybe that will correct their bad attitude.
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

User avatar
CookeeeMonster
Posts: 1540
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 13:47 pm

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby CookeeeMonster » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:41 am

notsoblue wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:
notsoblue wrote:As the police passed they were gesturing out of the window.


I'm intrigued, what was the gesture?

Nothing too offensive tbh, but they made it very clear they thought I was doing something wrong and was getting in their way. I stopped to take a picture of the numberplate when they were stuck in traffic a bit further up. I'm almost tempted to actually make a complaint about it.


definitely make a complaint! There are enough people on the road that don't know the rules without the police adding to their number...
Rose PRO DX CROSS-3000
Charge Filter

User avatar
Keyser__Soze
Posts: 1973
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 09:14 am

Re: Silly commuting racing

Postby Keyser__Soze » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:51 am

Anyone ride in waterproof shorts when it's really wet out? I don't mind getting wet on a ride but have limited kit-drying capabilities at work so anything to keep the worst of the rain off would be good and jacket or gilet does this for the top half but my shorts get sodden. Missus has bought some baggy waterproof 3/4s and is raving about them.
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"


Return to “Commuting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest