Strava help

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
Nick1972

Strava help

Postby Nick1972 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 22:17 pm

I recently changed phones from Blackberry to Sony Xperia in order to run Strava. I've registered on the Strava website and downloaded the app on my phone.

Whats the next step, the app just tells me locating and doesn't seem to find my address.

Please help

dai_t75

Re: Strava help

Postby dai_t75 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 22:52 pm

Have you turned the gps on? Not sure how to do it exactly with your phone... I am on android and there is a pull down menu that allows you to turn it on/off. If not try and navigate your way through the phones settings, it will be in there somewhere.

Once the gps is on, you need to stand outside for the phone to pick up your location. When you are found strava will say 'gps ok' or something like that. Then just hit record, lock the screen and put the phone in your jersey/saddle bag. When you get back press finish ride and save. It will then upload automatically to the strava website when you have 3g/wifi.

Hope that helps.

Nick1972

Postby Nick1972 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 23:05 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a go.

logie48

Postby logie48 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 18:45 pm

Rather than starting a new topic, i'll ask in here.

Does strava add a time for a segment you've ridden, only if you beat your PB?

MoscowFlyer

Postby MoscowFlyer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 21:03 pm

logie48 wrote:Rather than starting a new topic, i'll ask in here.

No, you'll still get a segment time but you'll only see a trophy if you get a time within your top 3.

logie48

Postby logie48 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 04:05 am

MoscowFlyer wrote:

No, you'll still get a segment time but you'll only see a trophy if you get a time within your top 3.

Thanks.

I think that's the problem though. I can't even see a segment time. Even though the exact route for the segment has tracked through Strava during my run today. :(

Charlie Potatoes

Postby Charlie Potatoes » Sat Nov 24, 2012 05:05 am

logie48 wrote:I think that's the problem though. I can't even see a segment time. Even though the exact route for the segment has tracked through Strava during my run today. :(

Could it be that you lost the GPS signal during the segment?
This could be the cause. A straight red line which doesn't quite follow the curves in the road is normally a tell tale sign.

Or does the segment start or finish in your privacy (near your house) zone?
"You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul

ILM Zero7

Postby ILM Zero7 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 05:50 am

if you want to see all your times, not just PB's etc and where you stand on segments, this is the place

http://veloviewer.com
http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
[b]Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2

NewTTer

Postby NewTTer » Sat Nov 24, 2012 06:45 am

Nick1972 wrote:I recently changed phones from Blackberry to Sony Xperia in order to run Strava. I've registered on the Strava website and downloaded the app on my phone.

Whats the next step, the app just tells me locating and doesn't seem to find my address.

Please help

Next step us use your phone for calling people, and buy a gps unit and do the job properly

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Sat Nov 24, 2012 09:38 am

NewTTer wrote:
Nick1972 wrote:I recently changed phones from Blackberry to Sony Xperia in order to run Strava. I've registered on the Strava website and downloaded the app on my phone.

Please help

Next step us use your phone for calling people, and buy a gps unit and do the job properly

Leaving aside the basic unhelpfulness of this reply, the implication is that the GPS unit in phones isn't up to the job. While that may be the case in some examples of some phones, and the OP may be unlucky in that respect, it certainly isn't always true, and it isn't also always true that a dedicated sports GPS unit will be better.

My OH has a Garmin 610 for running, and not only is it slower to pick up the satellites than my Galaxy S3, it's certainly not immune to losing the signal, recapturing it, and getting some anomalous track segments in the uploaded data.

Whereas my GS3 has been solid whether it's been in my rucksack, or jersey pocket. I don't doubt that I'll lose the signal at some point - all I'm saying is that the dedicated units aren't perfect, and it shouldn't be assumed that by lashing out all the extra money on one, all the problems will go away.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

logie48

Postby logie48 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 21:52 pm

Charlie Potatoes wrote:
logie48 wrote:I think that's the problem though. I can't even see a segment time. Even though the exact route for the segment has tracked through Strava during my run today. :(

Could it be that you lost the GPS signal during the segment?
This could be the cause. A straight red line which doesn't quite follow the curves in the road is normally a tell tale sign.

Or does the segment start or finish in your privacy (near your house) zone?

Na...GPS was fine and it tracked the segment. I've passed it exactly, and it shows in Strava. Yet it doesn't recognise it as a segment each time I pass. It has only clocked it the first time I rode it, and i've road it about 5 times. That's why I thought it only does it if you beat your PB for it.

:lol: :roll:

NewTTer

Postby NewTTer » Mon Nov 26, 2012 08:14 am

ChrisAOnABike wrote:
NewTTer wrote:

Please help

Leaving aside the basic unhelpfulness of this reply, the implication is that the GPS unit in phones isn't up to the job. While that may be the case in some examples of some phones, and the OP may be unlucky in that respect, it certainly isn't always true, and it isn't also always true that a dedicated sports GPS unit will be better.

My OH has a Garmin 610 for running, and not only is it slower to pick up the satellites than my Galaxy S3, it's certainly not immune to losing the signal, recapturing it, and getting some anomalous track segments in the uploaded data.

Whereas my GS3 has been solid whether it's been in my rucksack, or jersey pocket. I don't doubt that I'll lose the signal at some point - all I'm saying is that the dedicated units aren't perfect, and it shouldn't be assumed that by lashing out all the extra money on one, all the problems will go away.

Get over yourself Chrisonasoapbox FFS

Return to “Road Beginners”