Why am I faster on my hybrid than my road bike?

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
cougie

Re: Why am I faster on my hybrid than my road bike?

Postby cougie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:07 pm

Its bugger all to do with crank length. You're just not as confident on the road bike as you are on the hybrid.

Try a different route - one out in the countryside with better roads and then see the difference. I'd really not waste another second thinking about the gears or crank length. I've ridden all sorts of crank lengths and they made not one jot of difference.

DesB3rd

Postby DesB3rd » Fri Nov 16, 2012 14:23 pm

"It would be nice if all my braking was gentle and anticipated, but that'll only happen when London drivers learn what nearside mirrors are for, and London pedestrians acquire some survival instincts."

Not that braking is a non-issue but rather that it's a non-issue r.e. average speed; you're dodging car doors not carrying speed as close to a corner as you dare - or anything "racey" like that.

I'm with those who aren't looking for the outright speed issue; the confidence & situational awareness the hybrid grants (through traffic etc - esp. if you're hunkered down on the roady) will be worth more than fleeting moments of superior top speed on the road bike.

Barteos

Postby Barteos » Fri Nov 23, 2012 22:40 pm

I'm surprised that only one poster mentioned tyres rightly pointing out that wider ones should be faster especially on less than perfect roads.
I'm curious what tyres you're running and at what pressure and how wide they are (actual measured width).

964Cup

Postby 964Cup » Sat Nov 24, 2012 01:24 am

I may have found part of the answer...I put the roadie on a turbo trainer for the first time today, which meant I could look at my feet as I pedalled. Lo and behold the crank was moving from side to side. Looks like Wiggle's highly-qualified bike techs might have dropped a b*****k on this occasion; there was a centimetre (!) of play between the crank arms. Out with the torque wrench, reseat the non-drive-side crank arm and OMG I have a drivetrain that works properly. Now I understand why I've been fiddling with the front mech every ride. That'll teach me to check *every* bolt on a new bike next time.

WRT tyres, 28s (the original Specialized all-season Armadillos from when I bought the thing in 2006) on the hybrid at 100psi, 23s (Conti Ultras) on the roadie at 110psi.

nolight

Postby nolight » Sat Nov 24, 2012 01:47 am

Oh! So what are your new speeds now relative to the hybrid?

Mad_Malx

Postby Mad_Malx » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:13 am

Doesn't address the difference, but I can't see an advantage with wider spaced gears (11-28). I can't recall stretches of road in London where I would ever use either the 50-11 or 34-28, so you are down to 8 usable cogs on the cassette and bigger gaps.
If you feel you need these I suspect you may need to work on higher cadence on the flat.

964Cup

Postby 964Cup » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:21 am

@nolight: Dunno yet, but I was happy at 32kmh average on the turbo last night and the gears work properly, so we'll see next time the weather's less revolting.

@Mad_Malx: I find I need 34-28 going up West Heath Road and/or Swain's lane, and I like 50-11 going down the Archway road. I'm sure as my legs improve I'll be able to go back to the lighter, closer-ratio 12-25 the bike came with.

Mad_Malx

Postby Mad_Malx » Sat Nov 24, 2012 15:25 pm

964Cup wrote:
@Mad_Malx: I find I need 34-28 going up West Heath Road and/or Swain's lane, and I like 50-11 going down the Archway road. I'm sure as my legs improve I'll be able to go back to the lighter, closer-ratio 12-25 the bike came with.

Ahh - Highgate was about the only area I could remember (20 years since I cycled in London), I don't begrudge low gears on climbing. For the high gears, you would be doing well over 30mph on 50-11 at 100rpm, which I find a bit scary in traffic.

Return to “Road Beginners”