The official TrainerRoad thread

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
t5nel
Posts: 316
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 15:17 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby t5nel » Thu Nov 22, 2012 09:35 am

gwillis wrote:Joined up tonight and did my 20min test not 100% sure ive done it correctly .I have a tacx swing which isnt listed but appears to be similar to the satori. I set it to level 2 which gives me a road feel.

How did I do?

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/109105

Im 42 no racer but any feedback is welcome


The good thing is the fact that you are using your turbo and it will make you get stronger!

It is *really* hard to take any meaningful info about how good your power numbers are from Virtual Power...especially as your trainer is not listed. If the figures were accurate (and that is a HUGE assumption) then you are already way over 4W/kg. If you want to use Power properly then I think you have to get a poewr meter. If you want to use Virtual Power then go for one of the trainers they recommend and try to keep everything as consistent as possible.

User avatar
JGSI
Posts: 3711
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 15:09 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby JGSI » Thu Nov 22, 2012 09:41 am

t5nel wrote:
gwillis wrote:Joined up tonight and did my 20min test not 100% sure ive done it correctly .I have a tacx swing which isnt listed but appears to be similar to the satori. I set it to level 2 which gives me a road feel.

How did I do?

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/109105

Im 42 no racer but any feedback is welcome


The good thing is the fact that you are using your turbo and it will make you get stronger!

It is *really* hard to take any meaningful info about how good your power numbers are from Virtual Power...especially as your trainer is not listed. If the figures were accurate (and that is a HUGE assumption) then you are already way over 4W/kg. If you want to use Power properly then I think you have to get a poewr meter. If you want to use Virtual Power then go for one of the trainers they recommend and try to keep everything as consistent as possible.


120 lbs.??. this is getting ridiculous .. Pozzovivo territory

ramp it up, you lightweight :wink:

mattshrops
Posts: 1150
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 22:18 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby mattshrops » Thu Nov 22, 2012 20:15 pm

After coming on here whinging last week i feel its only fair to say no problems at all this week. :D

Sundayhttp://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/106888
Too frosty for me( and cut short for lunch out 8) )

Mondayhttp://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/107639

Tuesdayhttp://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/108262
Pyramidal with a bit extra

Wednesdayhttp://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/109068

Had a rest day today :roll:

Have to say i'm finding TR a fantastic motivational tool.
Also being able to train consecutive days is hopefully going to make a big difference this coming year.
Death or Glory- Just another Story

User avatar
Simmotino
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Simmotino » Thu Nov 22, 2012 21:50 pm

Had another run at Gayley today but using a higher gear which seemed to level out the consistency in power a bit more than Tuesday's effort. Still bouncing between 260 and 270 though.

Might start adding in some tempo rides next week too as the legs are starting to feel good again and really don't feel three rides a week is enough.

User avatar
Wrath Rob
Posts: 2757
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 21:53 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Wrath Rob » Fri Nov 23, 2012 15:03 pm

Did Angels last night, felt strong for most of it and ended up with PB's for 5, 10, 20 and 60 min power. I think its time to do another 20 min test and see if I need to re-baseline my FTP. I was however nearly sick on the last interval as I was chasing Contador, hitting 96% of MHR. Not bad training given that I struggle to get it that high outside of a race.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

User avatar
NapoleonD
Posts: 18126
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:51 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby NapoleonD » Fri Nov 23, 2012 21:07 pm

Simmotino wrote:Had another run at Gayley today but using a higher gear which seemed to level out the consistency in power a bit more than Tuesday's effort. Still bouncing between 260 and 270 though.

Might start adding in some tempo rides next week too as the legs are starting to feel good again and really don't feel three rides a week is enough.


I've just done Gayley, my 2nd workout in the int. plan. My HR was through the roof as I had a VERY heavy night last night... had to do the last interval a little lower (but still in the green)...

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/110254
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

User avatar
Simmotino
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Simmotino » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:07 am

Perhaps we should ask Nate to have the option of factoring in a hangover to the stats :lol:

Was Baxter for me today (also doing the Base I plan) so 90 minutes in the saddle. As I noted on the ride, legs felt good but my a**e certainly didn't!

Time to look at a new saddle I think :|

Garryboy
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 00:41 am

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Garryboy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:22 am

Was Palisade for me today, struggled but stayed mainly in the green. I seemed to struggle more with the unders than the overs.

I think one of my (many) weaknesses is recovering after an over ftp effort - legs and lungs. I'm 41 and have never really been fit before taking up cycling (c2 years ago) so wonder if I lack a good aerobic base?

Loving trainer road btw

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/110538

I also have sorearseitis when doing over an hour on turbo, but can do 3-4 hours on road on same saddle with no issues.

User avatar
JGSI
Posts: 3711
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 15:09 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby JGSI » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:46 am

Garryboy wrote:Was Palisade for me today, struggled but stayed mainly in the green. I seemed to struggle more with the unders than the overs.

I think one of my (many) weaknesses is recovering after an over ftp effort - legs and lungs. I'm 41 and have never really been fit before taking up cycling (c2 years ago) so wonder if I lack a good aerobic base?

Loving trainer road btw

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/110538

I also have sorearseitis when doing over an hour on turbo, but can do 3-4 hours on road on same saddle with no issues.

Not a lot I can advise about turbo time in the saddle , except you do spend more time 'in' than 'out' of the saddle when on the turbo - so maybe like me , fidget a bit for a minute or so evry so often to get any numbness away.
Good shorts should be used - I have just bought some Etxeondo Ators- and the pad is excellent comfort wise.
I have been known to do long workouts on the turbo, even so I wouldnt say they are always a breeze but I never climb off due to saddle issues.... I am swapping my saddle next month for Selle Carbonio.. so I'll wait until then to make another judgement.

if you use Golden Cheetah in conjunction with Trainer Road, then you can validate if your aerobic base or aerobic fatigue is an issue for you.
The inbuilt graphs can give you an indication of where your power drops off whilst still working aerobically and then you can target specific workouts to improve.
There are a lot of guys who seem to be big hitting the power zones at the moment which unless I was prepping for a winter series, I would nt be bothering myself working each into a frenzy .

Anyone else use GC? I only ask because sometimes it throws up more questions than answers.

User avatar
Simmotino
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Simmotino » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:47 am

I must admit I don't always feel like the recovery/rest intervals need to be followed to the letter (although I still try to!) as sometimes just spinning a comfortable gear to recover form and breathing is more beneficial than sticking to the green, but it's normally in the right range to adjust accordingly. I think after time I'll probably just ride to what's comfortable for those sections but, for now at least, I'm trying to be as strict as possible to maximise the benefit.

As for the saddleitis, I think it's because out on the road the bike shifts and you can get out of the saddle, move back and forth, and generally just move around without even thinking about it. With the bike locked in to the trainer, that's a bit more difficult, so you tend to sit in one place for longer. Could be completely wrong of course, but it makes sense in my head! :lol:

jamienorton
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 21:51 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby jamienorton » Sat Nov 24, 2012 14:43 pm

Went outside on the bike today for a 40 Miler,only did 20 in the end though (managed to finally to break the 17mph average over that course though yay) after i realized that i still had my Turbo Skewer in. Wasn't 100% on whether it was safe to use on the roads, so thought better to be safe than sorry. Got Tioga tomorrow.

User avatar
Simmotino
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Simmotino » Sat Nov 24, 2012 14:48 pm

I doubt there's any problem at all in using the trainer skewer on the road (certainly CycleOps stand by theirs as being suitable) as long as it is fitted as normal.

jezzpalmer
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:46 am
Contact:

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby jezzpalmer » Sat Nov 24, 2012 14:54 pm

I rarely change the skewer, if anything it's less likely to break than the cheapy PX titanium ones I have, and I don't fear them breaking.

User avatar
NapoleonD
Posts: 18126
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:51 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby NapoleonD » Sat Nov 24, 2012 15:28 pm

jamienorton wrote:Went outside on the bike today for a 40 Miler,only did 20 in the end though (managed to finally to break the 17mph average over that course though yay) after i realized that i still had my Turbo Skewer in. Wasn't 100% on whether it was safe to use on the roads, so thought better to be safe than sorry. Got Tioga tomorrow.


My cycleops one stays in permanatly...
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

jamienorton
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 21:51 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby jamienorton » Sat Nov 24, 2012 16:15 pm

Thanks for assuring me its safe guys, probably would have carried on but ive had a skewer snap on me before and didnt want to risk getting any further from home until i confirmed its all good, decent ride either way, still need to sort my layering out though, too warm in a merino base and thermal jersey.

User avatar
NapoleonD
Posts: 18126
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:51 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby NapoleonD » Sat Nov 24, 2012 17:06 pm

Turbo skewers are a damn sight more hardy than normal ones!
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

jamienorton
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 21:51 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby jamienorton » Sun Nov 25, 2012 14:48 pm

Anyone else having trouble with rides not showing up on the TR Website, did Tioga earlier and resubmitted it a couple of times now, still nothing showing on my career page though.

User avatar
JGSI
Posts: 3711
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 15:09 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby JGSI » Sun Nov 25, 2012 15:03 pm

jamienorton wrote:Anyone else having trouble with rides not showing up on the TR Website, did Tioga earlier and resubmitted it a couple of times now, still nothing showing on my career page though.

It's happened a few times... the cache on the TR website servers is having a few issues seems to be the reason
It sorts itself out though and the guys are aware.

User avatar
wardieboy
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 16:57 pm

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby wardieboy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 16:22 pm

JGSI wrote:
jamienorton wrote:Anyone else having trouble with rides not showing up on the TR Website, did Tioga earlier and resubmitted it a couple of times now, still nothing showing on my career page though.

It's happened a few times... the cache on the TR website servers is having a few issues seems to be the reason
It sorts itself out though and the guys are aware.


Same for me, did Peavine earlier and it's not showing on my career page. If I click 'show all' it appears but with no thumbnail. Hoping that my 'bests' update when it does get resolved as I smashed some previous records.
peddlingmadness wrote:Slightly off topic but, whilst waiting behind a horse box today the Horse Farted with a little follow through, missed my mouth thankfully, but my glasses were pebble dashed..

Garryboy
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 00:41 am

Re: The official TrainerRoad thread

Postby Garryboy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 16:30 pm

JGSI wrote:
Garryboy wrote:Was Palisade for me today, struggled but stayed mainly in the green. I seemed to struggle more with the unders than the overs.

I think one of my (many) weaknesses is recovering after an over ftp effort - legs and lungs. I'm 41 and have never really been fit before taking up cycling (c2 years ago) so wonder if I lack a good aerobic base?

Loving trainer road btw

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/110538

I also have sorearseitis when doing over an hour on turbo, but can do 3-4 hours on road on same saddle with no issues.

Not a lot I can advise about turbo time in the saddle , except you do spend more time 'in' than 'out' of the saddle when on the turbo - so maybe like me , fidget a bit for a minute or so evry so often to get any numbness away.
Good shorts should be used - I have just bought some Etxeondo Ators- and the pad is excellent comfort wise.
I have been known to do long workouts on the turbo, even so I wouldnt say they are always a breeze but I never climb off due to saddle issues.... I am swapping my saddle next month for Selle Carbonio.. so I'll wait until then to make another judgement.

if you use Golden Cheetah in conjunction with Trainer Road, then you can validate if your aerobic base or aerobic fatigue is an issue for you.
The inbuilt graphs can give you an indication of where your power drops off whilst still working aerobically and then you can target specific workouts to improve.
There are a lot of guys who seem to be big hitting the power zones at the moment which unless I was prepping for a winter series, I would nt be bothering myself working each into a frenzy .

Anyone else use GC? I only ask because sometimes it throws up more questions than answers.


I dont use Golden Cheetah, but have WKO+ (desktop training peaks) and have been uploading my TR sessions to that. Havent had much time to look at it, but it does have some pretty graphs!

Did Baxter as a recovery ride this morning, enjoyed it although last 10 mins were tough (just coz I was tired).
http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/111236


Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: markhewitt1978, Webboo and 5 guests