Fizik Arione's uncomfortable centre strip

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
surfgod
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 05:39 am

Fizik Arione's uncomfortable centre strip

Postby surfgod » Sun Nov 25, 2012 02:13 am

Last month I borrowed a fizik arione test sadle from my LBS. I rode it for over ten days and was very impressed with the level of comfort it offered, so much so I decided to buy one.. After fitting the new seat I headed off for a forty mile spin, as expected I had to stop a couple of times to make some micro adjustments. I stuck with this new seat for a couple of weeks, but never acheived the level of sublime comfort that I had with the yellow test saddle.

I eventually came to the conclusion, that the stitched centre strip thats a feature on nearly all ariones was causing me the discomfort. As far as I can see, the fizik aroine is the only saddle in their range that has this ridiculous stitching exactly where you don't want it....Arrrgggghhhh

NewTTer
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:29 am

Re: Fizik Arione's uncomfortable centre strip

Postby NewTTer » Sun Nov 25, 2012 07:11 am

If you can feel that very low profile stitching through your chamois pad, then you need some new shorts

User avatar
ALIHISGREAT
Posts: 3918
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 15:43 pm

Re: Fizik Arione's uncomfortable centre strip

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:33 am

Image

this springs to mind :mrgreen:

User avatar
declan1
Posts: 2389
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 20:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Fizik Arione's uncomfortable centre strip

Postby declan1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:08 pm

surfgod wrote:Last month I borrowed a fizik arione test sadle from my LBS. I rode it for over ten days and was very impressed with the level of comfort it offered, so much so I decided to buy one.. After fitting the new seat I headed off for a forty mile spin, as expected I had to stop a couple of times to make some micro adjustments. I stuck with this new seat for a couple of weeks, but never acheived the level of sublime comfort that I had with the yellow test saddle.

I eventually came to the conclusion, that the stitched centre strip thats a feature on nearly all ariones was causing me the discomfort. As far as I can see, the fizik aroine is the only saddle in their range that has this ridiculous stitching exactly where you don't want it....Arrrgggghhhh


What about the Arione Versus? It has the centre strip carved away:

Image

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

User avatar
Raffles
Posts: 973
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 21:08 pm

Re: Fizik Arione's uncomfortable centre strip

Postby Raffles » Sun Nov 25, 2012 13:55 pm

arione was the singularly most uncomfortable saddle i have ever owned. using it was like sitting on the curved top of a bannister handrail that was batterring the perineal area no matter the angle.
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

User avatar
briantrumpet
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 22:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Fizik Arione's uncomfortable centre strip

Postby briantrumpet » Sun Nov 25, 2012 14:45 pm

declan1 wrote:What about the Arione Versus? It has the centre strip carved away

Solved the problem for me. I liked the general shape of the Arione, but it became very uncomfortable by about 60 miles thanks to the pressure in the centre.

Fevmeister
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:24 am

Re: Fizik Arione's uncomfortable centre strip

Postby Fevmeister » Mon Nov 26, 2012 00:31 am

How can you feel saddle stitching through your chamois pad????

Fevmeister
Posts: 455
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:24 am

Re: Fizik Arione's uncomfortable centre strip

Postby Fevmeister » Mon Nov 26, 2012 00:46 am

declan1 wrote:
surfgod wrote:Last month I borrowed a fizik arione test sadle from my LBS. I rode it for over ten days and was very impressed with the level of comfort it offered, so much so I decided to buy one.. After fitting the new seat I headed off for a forty mile spin, as expected I had to stop a couple of times to make some micro adjustments. I stuck with this new seat for a couple of weeks, but never acheived the level of sublime comfort that I had with the yellow test saddle.

I eventually came to the conclusion, that the stitched centre strip thats a feature on nearly all ariones was causing me the discomfort. As far as I can see, the fizik aroine is the only saddle in their range that has this ridiculous stitching exactly where you don't want it....Arrrgggghhhh


What about the Arione Versus? It has the centre strip carved away:

Image



I have three of the arione versus in that colour - an impeccable saddle!

racingcondor
Posts: 1431
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 17:20 pm

Re: Fizik Arione's uncomfortable centre strip

Postby racingcondor » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:43 pm

Do what I did. Try an Anteres, buy several, enjoy.

The Arione seems to work well for a lot of people (lets face it, it's probably the most popular saddle) but I found that after a few thousand miles the little bit of sag that developed in the middle meant that comfort on long rides suffered. The Anteres flat top seems to fix that nicely (so far).

If you're on the right saddle you shouldn't need to break it in.

letape2
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:54 am

Re: Fizik Arione's uncomfortable centre strip

Postby letape2 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:59 pm

Not all the Ariones have the centre strip or stitching. I have a white Arione with carbon rails that doesn't have it. I have another one with the strip and it has never bothered me.


Return to “Road General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: feisty, Fenix, Kajjal, martinperry, speedyturtlewithedge, Steweyp and 12 guests