Good cycling books

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
MartAstur

Good cycling books

Postby MartAstur » Fri Nov 23, 2012 08:48 am

Can anyone recommend any good cycling books.

I have been put in charge of buying my own Christmas presents this year and as I just bought a brand new bike (without telling her) the wife has put quite a tight limit on what I can buy so I thought I would get a few cycling books (the turbo trainer will have to wait).

I have read Wiggin's pre tour 'In persuit of Glory' and also Victoria Pendelton's 'Between the lines' and really enjoyed both. I plan to buy Wiggin's new book of course but was wondering if anyone can recommend any other cycling books. I would also be interested in any good bike repair books. In fact any books to do with cycling.
Thanks

lc1981

Re: Good cycling books

Postby lc1981 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 09:14 am

There's a similar thread here with some good suggestions. I enjoyed David Millar's Racing Through the Dark and William Fotheringham's Merckx: Half Man, Half Bike, and It's All About the Bike by Rob Penn is good if you want to know more about the history and design of bikes (it doesn't cover maintenance but it might be good background reading is it explains some of the physics behind how a bike works). There are also some good coffee table-type books such as Mountain High.

nevman

Postby nevman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 09:25 am

Fallen angel.will fotheringham,s book on Fausto Coppi .
Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
Winter Alan Top Cross
All rounder Spec. Allez.

stronginthesun

Postby stronginthesun » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:23 am

you might get a bargain on lances its not about the bike

MoscowFlyer

Postby MoscowFlyer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:34 am

David Millar autobiography
Laurent Fignon autobiography
In search of Robert Millar
The secret race
Chris Hoy autobiography

All good reads

I wasn't keen on The Flying Scotsman, I found it pretty boring and repetitive.

Currently reading 'Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder' which is very good, and under a pound for the Kindle version on Amazon.

dai_t75

Postby dai_t75 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:40 pm

I have picked up 2 books since starting (couple of months) and found them both to be good:

- Cyclecraft - This is essentially about how to ride safely on the roads and deal with tricky situations.

- Zinn and the art of road bike maintenance - This is an a4 size books with lots of diagrams showing you how to fix/fiddle with just about everything on the bike!

IWearSpandex

Postby IWearSpandex » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:47 pm

There are many good cycling book options out there. Lots of good suggestions already, too. Here are a few more.

It depends on what cycling topic you want to get into:

Pro cycling and doping scandal:
-Armstrong's War by Daniel Coyle - Great book about Armstrong during the 2004 season. Great insight into pro cycling, the races, and the riders.
-Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton and Daniel Coyle - Great book about the doping scandal that gripped the cycling world recently.
-USADA Reasoned Decision - You can download and read that one for free. Includes testimony from most of Armstrong's former teammates, doping admissions, and insight into the doping problems with pro cycling.

Other Cycling topics:
-Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder by David Barter - Already mentioned above, but worth mentioning again.
-The Feed Zone Cookbook by Allen Lim and Chef Biju Thomas - Good recipes for athletes on the go.
-The Bicycle Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair: For Road Bikes and Mountain Bikes - This is a complete guide for anyone who is looking to do their own bike repair at home.

I hope this list helps. There are more out there, depending on what topic you are interested in.

-Brian
I Wear Spandex
http://www.iwearspandex.com

MartAstur

Postby MartAstur » Fri Nov 23, 2012 18:26 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. Wow! there is even a cook book in there :) might actually buy that.

I think I am going to buy the Obsessive, Compulsive Cycling Disorder and for sure one or two others that have been mentioned.
Very useful to have other peoples opinions as there seem to be quite a lot of books out there. Now I have a list it should be easier to choose :)

Thanks again,
Martin

Charlie Potatoes

Postby Charlie Potatoes » Fri Nov 23, 2012 18:33 pm

The Rider by Tim Krabbe needs to be added to the list :)
"You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul

MartAstur

Postby MartAstur » Fri Nov 23, 2012 18:38 pm

Charlie Potatoes wrote:The Rider by Tim Krabbe needs to be added to the list :)

Added! :) Never heard of that one ... looks good. Thanks

Bobbinogs

Postby Bobbinogs » Fri Nov 23, 2012 19:47 pm

The Hour one by Dr Hutch is ok. Not half as "hilarious" as it says on the tin but it does give a great background to the hour and all the history. It also shows the level of obsession required to be successful at that level, as well as the madness that is the UCI.

I really enjoyed The Full English. I forget who it is by but it really is a great chuckle of a read and, if you are middle aged like I am, then it does ring a lot of bells... although my aspirations for a day of riding is slightly more than 15 miles :) Great stuff though, pretty much read it within a few days which is always a good sign.

nolight

Postby nolight » Sat Nov 24, 2012 01:49 am

You can't get faster by reading!

Charlie Potatoes

Postby Charlie Potatoes » Sat Nov 24, 2012 04:13 am

nolight wrote:You can't get faster by reading!

Yes you can.
"You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul

mustol

Postby mustol » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:13 am

Reading Nicholas Roche's 'Inside the Peloton' at the moment, really good insight into the life of a pro cyclist. David Millar's 'Racing Through the Dark' is a must-read and also enjoyed 'Slaying the Badger'.

SecretSam

Postby SecretSam » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:55 am

Much as above, Rob Penn's book very interesting, gives insight into the history of the bike as well. There was a book yonks back by ?? Bettina Selby?? about cycling to the Himalayas, you could also try that fella who rode round the world in a record time, the Scot chap, don't recall his name.

Oh, and 100 greatest climbs might be worth adding to your list, along with a good maintenance book.
--------------------
It's just a hill. Get over it.

knownothingbozo

Postby knownothingbozo » Sun Nov 25, 2012 09:09 am

I thoroughly enjoyed:
Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain - two blokes set off from Lands End in boxer shorts and nothing else, with a plan to cycle to John O Groats.
You've gone too far this time Sir. Chap cycles from London to India.
Both very interesting and more about the journey than the bike.
Some people are like slinkies - not much use for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

http://knownothingbozoandhisbike.blogspot.com/

jamienorton

Postby jamienorton » Sun Nov 25, 2012 15:06 pm

I really enjoyed Racing through the dark, i didn't actually know all that much about Miller when i read it, but that didn't really effect my enjoyment of it. Probably going to go for Half Man Half Bike next.

lotus49

Postby lotus49 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 15:37 pm

Charlie Potatoes wrote:
nolight wrote:You can't get faster by reading!

Yes you can.

+1

Reading about the greats can be inspiring and you can also pick up useful tips about technique, diet, pacing yourself properly etc. Reading won't make up for riding but you can't ride your bike when you're on the train.

Have a look at http://www.velominati.com/the-works/ for some more reading suggestions.

Defyand

Postby Defyand » Sun Nov 25, 2012 20:20 pm

Currently reading 'Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder' which is very good, and under a pound for the Kindle version on Amazon. I'll go with that!

Buckled_Rims

Postby Buckled_Rims » Sun Nov 25, 2012 20:42 pm

Just finished the Secret Race last week. Great reading, but apart from the doping, it also reveals how "thick" some of those riders are! Amendment, make that " extremely very thick" :-)
CAAD9
Kona Jake the Snake
Merlin Malt 4

Return to “Road Buying Advice”