How to transfer setup measurements from one bike to another?

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
RRSODL

How to transfer setup measurements from one bike to another?

Postby RRSODL » Sun Nov 25, 2012 22:35 pm

I'm putting together a new bike and I want to transfer all the measurements from the old one as that one feels very comfortable. The problem is that the new frame is of the new type where the top tube is not strait like on my old bike and the length of the top tube is a little shorter than in my old bike, even though they are both 58 cm. They both have a head tube angle of 73 degrees.

I began by measuring the saddle heigh, bars heigh and distance from nose of saddle to centre of handlebars of my old bike.

I then transferred the measurements to the new bike however it does not feel quite the same.

I measured the difference in hight between saddle and bars and they are the same too.

I've been thinking about it and my plan for tomorrow is this:

Replicate the saddle position in relation to my knee position when the cranks are at 6 O'clock - I have a feeling that I'm going to need a longer stem as I'm pretty sure that saddle is going to have to move forward as much as 15mm to 20mm forward to achieve the same position in relation to the cranks. It does make sense if I consider the top tube is about 15mm shorter.

I figure that if I replicate my pedalling position then I will have a point from where I can measure the distance to the handlebars and that should give me the same position I have on my old bike. Does it make any sense to you?
Last edited by RRSODL on Sun Nov 25, 2012 23:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mpdouglas

Re: Hot to transfer setup measurements from one bike to anot

Postby mpdouglas » Sun Nov 25, 2012 23:06 pm

Are you using a spirit level? You need to (you'll need quite a long level - about 1 metre).

Step 1 - set the saddle height by measuring from the centre of the bottom bracket spindle to the top of the saddle (use any position on the saddle but use the same reference point on both bikes). Dont measure the saddle height from the ground - tyres, chain stay geometry etc could be different between bikes - it's the relationship between your backside and the pedals that matters.

Step 2 - set the fore/aft position of the saddle (this is the first use of the spirit level) - you need to measure the horizontal distance between the centre line of the bottom bracket and the nose of the saddle. Hold the spirit level perfectly vertical with one edge running through the centre of the bottom bracket spindle and then have someone measure the horizontal distance from the same edge of the level to the nose of the saddle. Transfer this across to the new bike and also check the angle of the saddle to the ground using the spirit level before tightening the clamp.

Step 3 - Place the spirit level horizontally on the top of the saddle and measure the vertical drop to the handlebars. Replicate this on the new bike by moving spacers above/below the stem and/or flipping the stem over.

Step 4 - Measure the distance from the nose of the saddle to the handlebar. You can only change this on the new bike by changing the stem length. (Don't start sliding the saddle back or forward as that will mess up the relationship between your backside and the pedals).

If you can get these 4 measurements the same, the relationship between the bars, pedals and saddle will be the same on both bikes (so long as you don't have radically different crank lengths on the 2 bikes).
"Pink Hybrid Man"
Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
Sunday Best - Bianchi Infinito in Celeste, White and Black with Campagnolo Chorus

RRSODL

Re: Hot to transfer setup measurements from one bike to anot

Postby RRSODL » Mon Nov 26, 2012 00:14 am

mpdouglas wrote:Are you using a spirit level? You need to (you'll need quite a long level - about 1 metre).

Step 1 - set the saddle height by measuring from the centre of the bottom bracket spindle to the top of the saddle (use any position on the saddle but use the same reference point on both bikes). Dont measure the saddle height from the ground - tyres, chain stay geometry etc could be different between bikes - it's the relationship between your backside and the pedals that matters.

Step 2 - set the fore/aft position of the saddle (this is the first use of the spirit level) - you need to measure the horizontal distance between the centre line of the bottom bracket and the nose of the saddle. Hold the spirit level perfectly vertical with one edge running through the centre of the bottom bracket spindle and then have someone measure the horizontal distance from the same edge of the level to the nose of the saddle. Transfer this across to the new bike and also check the angle of the saddle to the ground using the spirit level before tightening the clamp.

Step 3 - Place the spirit level horizontally on the top of the saddle and measure the vertical drop to the handlebars. Replicate this on the new bike by moving spacers above/below the stem and/or flipping the stem over.

Step 4 - Measure the distance from the nose of the saddle to the handlebar. You can only change this on the new bike by changing the stem length. (Don't start sliding the saddle back or forward as that will mess up the relationship between your backside and the pedals).

If you can get these 4 measurements the same, the relationship between the bars, pedals and saddle will be the same on both bikes (so long as you don't have radically different crank lengths on the 2 bikes).

Hi and thanks for the post.

Yes, that is how I did it

I'm wondering if this is still true for two saddles that are different in length. This is why I was planning to replicate the saddle position with regards to the cranks, ie the cranks parallel to the ground and then replicate my knee position with regards pedal spindle.

Yes, done this but probably will need to do it again

Yes, this is where I think I will need a new longer stem.

Actually, old bike has crank length = 72.5 and ones = 75. So I will have to take that into consideration.

Return to “Workshop”