Brass Monkeys anyone..?!!

XC and Enduro racing and events.
grawp

Re: Brass Monkeys anyone..?!!

Postby grawp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 17:09 pm

It'll be fine.
Before every event the forums fill up with panic stricken talk of mud tyres, then after the day a chorus of how Ralphs were fine fills the pages. In my experience Gorrick are pretty darn good at laying on an all weather course.
As for wind and rain, well most the time you'll be in the trees so no wind and you won't notice the rain because you'll be steaming with sweat!

(I seem to be in a very positive mood tonight. Off out for a ride in a minute; trying not to look out of the window.)

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Fri Nov 23, 2012 09:41 am

Looks like this event is full now!

A friend of mine is still after an entry - any idea if there is a 'reserve' list or similar? Worth emailing the organisers (in which case, who are they and what is their email address?!)?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

njee20

Postby njee20 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 09:45 am

Si Panter is the organiser (Pants on here), worth firing off an email, you never know.

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Fri Nov 23, 2012 09:50 am

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

agg25

Postby agg25 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 14:13 pm

OK, Mud X's definitely going on today, I've got one with more tread on than the other, question is...should I whack the better one on the front or the back??

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Sat Nov 24, 2012 17:16 pm

I had been resisting the mud-panic up until now... It just keeps on raining!

Trailraker now fitted up front (Cinder on the back).

I don't see how the course can possibly NOT be muddy after this much rain and 100's of riders. It's not like we're in Wales with well draining rocky trails is it? That's my logic anyway!

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Sun Nov 25, 2012 17:32 pm

Well, i'm bloody glad I put the mud tyre on the front...! :lol:

How did everyone get on?

I only managed 2 laps and came in 4th overall (apparently). I really enjoyed it but found it quite hard work at times! Spent my second lap chasing my very fast friend which was good fun :lol: All in all a brilliant event and I can't wait for the next one 8)

Mccraque

Postby Mccraque » Sun Nov 25, 2012 17:52 pm

Great event and given the rain, I am surprised at just how good the course held. Save for a couple of really boggy sections that pretty much everyone ran up, most of it was perfect. The Mud X's were a good choice for me....and especially by lap3 as things cut up a little.

Drove home and the heavens opened. Thankfully not an hour earlier!

Does anyone know if the chap who ploughed full tilt into a tree is ok? Right on the downhill singletrack section near the end. He lost control and hit it at one hell of a speed. :cry:

Mccraque

Postby Mccraque » Sun Nov 25, 2012 17:53 pm

and well done on 4th, Notax...that'a brilliant. Think I managed 47th in my category....!

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Sun Nov 25, 2012 18:11 pm

Mccraque wrote:Does anyone know if the chap who ploughed full tilt into a tree is ok? Right on the downhill singletrack section near the end. He lost control and hit it at one hell of a speed. :cry:

Crikey, I rode past this pretty soon after it had happened I think. Did he slide out on the mud at the bottom? Hope he's ok.

Mccraque

Postby Mccraque » Sun Nov 25, 2012 18:25 pm

He never looked in control from the moment he started the descent and ploughed straight into it. Not good.

agg25

Postby agg25 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:07 pm

Can understand how he did, some quite sketchy moments were had in the mud yesterday. As with Miss Notax, very glad the Mud X's were fastened to the hoops, especially after a few laps. Pity my granny ring kept chain sucking (sounds rude dunnit!) so had to middle ring it all the way round, but managed 30/82 in the 4hour and picked up some points for the first time ever, so pretty chuffed and has made me want to continue on and do the other 2 now.

The course I found was pretty good, apart from the muddy bits was a good mix of singletrack and the climbs weren't tooo bad. Suffered some major thigh cramps after getting stuck in the mud, but thankfully was on me last lap, so happy to cross that line! Glad the rain held off and appreciated the weeks downpours as it gave me a chance to wash my bike in the car park river before putting it in the back of the car :-)

frogstomp

Postby frogstomp » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:56 pm

Was a great ride yesterday.. glad the weather held up and the course was in very good condition considering (plus a bit of mud makes for some variation).

I came in 49th with 3 laps - must remember to get to the start earlier next time so I'm not at the back!

Biggest disappointment of the day was going to change down to the granny ring for the climbs on the last lap.. only to realise I was already in it - aaargh! :roll:

Photos available on Joolze Dymond's site..

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Mon Nov 26, 2012 13:15 pm

frogstomp wrote:Biggest disappointment of the day was going to change down to the granny ring for the climbs on the last lap.. only to realise I was already in it - aaargh! :roll:

Bummer :lol: :lol:

I got held up loads at the start too - my problem is that I never think i'm good or fast enough to start any further forward (I don't think I am :oops: ) and then just have to patiently wait for everyone to push their bikes up all the hills. My own fault!

Mccraque

Postby Mccraque » Mon Nov 26, 2012 14:25 pm

I'm far too polite I think....let people push in at the start and then proceed to hold me up. My first lap was about 6 mins slower than the next two!

I'm really happy I went yesterday. Deliberated on pulling out due to the rain on Sat. So glad I didn't...

Notax...I saw you again....tentatively looking over that drop about half way around the heathland...and some bloke bhind (not me, I hasten to add) shouting "commit!"....which you did! Wasn't sure if it was race etiquette to pipe up a conversation - especially being out of breath and having snot and sweat dripping off me....so just went about my business.

miss notax

Postby miss notax » Mon Nov 26, 2012 14:39 pm

Ha ha, that bloke who shouted COMMIT really annoyed me! The chap in front of me dabbed, which made me focus in on what he had stopped at (the drop), which made me hesitate - stupid really! I would usually fly over stuff like that without even thinking!

You almost saw me swear like a crazy-lady at the chap that shouted anyway :wink:

I hope I didn't hold you up anyway? I guess you were stuck behind me on the singletrack then too :oops:

frogstomp

Postby frogstomp » Mon Nov 26, 2012 14:45 pm

Mccraque wrote:...and some bloke bhind (not me, I hasten to add) shouting "commit!"....

Makes a change from "strava!" I guess! :lol:

I figure next time I'll try and get nearer the front.. all the proper quick riders should have left me behind by the first singletrack anyway!

Mccraque

Postby Mccraque » Mon Nov 26, 2012 14:53 pm

frogstomp wrote:I came in 49th with 3 laps - must remember to get to the start earlier next time so I'm not at the back!

Ditto Frogstomp...I lined up with 15 mins to go and it was way too late.

btw - I finished just in front of you (48th).....that must have been you closing me down over the last 1km!

frogstomp

Postby frogstomp » Mon Nov 26, 2012 15:19 pm

Mccraque wrote:btw - I finished just in front of you (48th).....that must have been you closing me down over the last 1km!

Yeah, I guess it was! I was gaining but then I think you spotted me and upped your pace a bit for the last stretch..

You weren't the guy I was chatting to about 29ers slightly earlier in the lap..?

Mccraque

Postby Mccraque » Mon Nov 26, 2012 15:36 pm

Yeah that was me! I keep pondering on whether to buy one!!

I thought I was cruising home uncontested....heard you coming and thought I'd better get my finger out. Think we both gained a place as some guy had stopped, cramped up on the very last corner, just a few meters from the line!

Return to “Cross-Country and Enduro”