Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
j_smith
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 09:35 am

Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby j_smith » Mon Nov 26, 2012 09:56 am

I'm currently riding a Canyon Roadlite 6.0 but I'm thinking about upgrading it to a carbon bike.

I'm planning to buy a bike with the following highlights:

Pinarello Paris
Dura Ace 7900 group
Fulcrum Racing1 wheelset
Most handlebar and stem
Fizik Arione saddle
Vittoria Rubino Pro tires

Is the price of £3,500 a fair price, and what would be the alternatives to this bike.

User avatar
junglist_matty
Posts: 1678
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:31 pm

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby junglist_matty » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:37 am

Pinarello are the most overpriced option you could have picked.....

Do you like your Canyon? If so, why not get a better Canyon; much better value!

nferrar
Posts: 2491
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:13 pm

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby nferrar » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:49 am

Have to agree with the above, you really need to want a Pinarello specifically to be able to justify the pricing, especially when not buying the flagship model. The equivalent Canyon is probably a grand or more cheaper but even the more common bike shop brands will be cheaper than the Pinarello.

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 18027
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:52 am

j_smith wrote:I'm currently riding a Canyon Roadlite 6.0 but I'm thinking about upgrading it to a carbon bike.

I'm planning to buy a bike with the following highlights:

Pinarello Paris
Dura Ace 7900 group
Fulcrum Racing1 wheelset
Most handlebar and stem
Fizik Arione saddle
Vittoria Rubino Pro tires

Is the price of £3,500 a fair price, and what would be the alternatives to this bike.


In my modest opinion, if you spend 60 pounds only you end up with a faster bike. The idea is, keep your Canyon and fit a pair of Vittoria CX tyres... they are typically on offer... your bike will be faster than the Pinarello worth 3.5 K with a set of Rubino PRO. If you want to go even faster, keep your Canyon and upgrade the wheels only. If you want to go significantly faster, then spend some of the budget on performance coaching
You should still end up with a whole lot of cash to spend in cycling holidays and Assos clothing

User avatar
thegreatdivide
Posts: 4246
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby thegreatdivide » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:35 am

For £3.5k you could get a Canyon Aeroad CF 9.5 with Dura Ace 9000 11-speed and Reynolds Assault deep rims and it looks like a stealth bomber! I love my Italian bikes (I have 3 of them) but that Paris is a rip off.
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

mallorcajeff
Posts: 1900
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 19:57 pm

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby mallorcajeff » Mon Nov 26, 2012 16:33 pm

thegreatdivide wrote:For £3.5k you could get a Canyon Aeroad CF 9.5 with Dura Ace 9000 11-speed and Reynolds Assault deep rims and it looks like a stealth bomber! I love my Italian bikes (I have 3 of them) but that Paris is a rip off.


couldnt agree more!!!!!! stunning

indyP
Posts: 690
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 13:40 pm

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby indyP » Mon Nov 26, 2012 16:54 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:
j_smith wrote:I'm currently riding a Canyon Roadlite 6.0 but I'm thinking about upgrading it to a carbon bike.

I'm planning to buy a bike with the following highlights:

Pinarello Paris
Dura Ace 7900 group
Fulcrum Racing1 wheelset
Most handlebar and stem
Fizik Arione saddle
Vittoria Rubino Pro tires

Is the price of £3,500 a fair price, and what would be the alternatives to this bike.



In my modest opinion, if you spend 60 pounds only you end up with a faster bike. The idea is, keep your Canyon and fit a pair of Vittoria CX tyres... they are typically on offer... your bike will be faster than the Pinarello worth 3.5 K with a set of Rubino PRO. If you want to go even faster, keep your Canyon and upgrade the wheels only. If you want to go significantly faster, then spend some of the budget on performance coaching
You should still end up with a whole lot of cash to spend in cycling holidays and Assos clothing


I apologise for going off subject. Do you mind me asking if you rate the Vittoria CX over the Conti GP4000s? I am about to buy new Conti's but interested to know of other options :)

User avatar
thegreatdivide
Posts: 4246
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby thegreatdivide » Mon Nov 26, 2012 18:36 pm

The Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX is arguably the finest clincher you can buy right now. Stick a latex tub inside one and it gives an amazing ride.
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

j_smith
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 09:35 am

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby j_smith » Tue Nov 27, 2012 09:49 am

I have listened to the arguments against buying a Pinarello, and I have actually changed my mind and gone back to Canyon even though I think it's a "boring" bike compared to an Italian, but it's hard to argue against the value for money that Canyon offers.

I will probably order a Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 within the next couple of day

Mccaria
Posts: 863
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby Mccaria » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:41 am

For what its worth I have a Dogma 60.1 and a Canyon SLX. If I had to choose between them, then I would go with the SLX. I find it to be a lighter and more versatile frame (and cheaper to replace if anything bad happens !)

The Pinarello is wonderfully blingy, but on the £3.5k budget I think the Canyon is going to be hard to beat - although gettting a Cervelo R5 VWD at half price and building it up (especially at 7900 comes down in price now that 9000 is out) probably runs it pretty close.

User avatar
EKIMIKE
Posts: 2209
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 16:19 pm

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby EKIMIKE » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:25 am

j_smith wrote:gone back to Canyon even though I think it's a "boring" bike compared to an Italian


I agree, Canyon's look boring, if not ugly! But at least they don't look as bad as a Pinarello. I know it's a 'marmite' subject but i think the things are atrocious - both the shapes and the paint they offer.

You can get something 'Italian' without breaking your balls on price. Bianchi Sempre or Infinito? Colnago M10 if you can pick up last years model? Wilier Gran Turismo or Izoard? You might have to negotiate some kit upgrades to fill out your budget.

You'll never get the value for money seen through Canyon.com though.

philbar72
Posts: 1247
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 21:34 pm

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby philbar72 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:12 pm

why Pinarello? Canyon, cube and felt are just 3 makes that offer more for your money.

Slowandsteady
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 17:18 pm

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby Slowandsteady » Tue Nov 27, 2012 13:47 pm

I think you should concentrate more in what you like, what will make you want to go out and ride and what would make you look at and think I love that bike.

VFM is a great thing but thinking "god that's a good bike for the money" wouldn't get me excited.

Different strokes for different folks I guess

User avatar
junglist_matty
Posts: 1678
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:31 pm

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby junglist_matty » Wed Dec 19, 2012 14:54 pm

EKIMIKE wrote:I agree, Canyon's look boring, if not ugly!


Have to agree with this, I am not a fan of my Canyon to look at, but I don't look at it, I usually sit on it and ride it and look around me....

For me, my Canyon is really comfortable & very fast, that's what I look for in a bike, not something that looks nice; but there are plenty of people out there who go for looks first.

I know plenty of people with bling carbon bikes who ride less than 1000 miles a year!!!!!

YIMan
Posts: 521
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 18:14 pm

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby YIMan » Wed Dec 19, 2012 19:11 pm

Slowandsteady wrote:I think you should concentrate more in what you like, what will make you want to go out and ride and what would make you look at and think I love that bike.

VFM is a great thing but thinking "god that's a good bike for the money" wouldn't get me excited.

Different strokes for different folks I guess


I would have agreed 100% till a few hours ago. I'm now learning that it's an illusion and that your "Italian" bike isn't Italian at all....at best it's ODM (Original Design Manufacture) - designed in Italy then built in the same few factories in Taiwan as any other carbon framed brand. It might look nice and you think you're riding a stylish Italian road bike, but you're not, you're riding a Taiwanese frame with a paint job and stickers to make it look like an Italian bike.

Having said that, it wouldn't make me buy a Canyon rather than a Bianchi.

User avatar
Rolf F
Posts: 13574
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:29 am

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby Rolf F » Wed Dec 19, 2012 20:49 pm

YIMan wrote:I would have agreed 100% till a few hours ago. I'm now learning that it's an illusion and that your "Italian" bike isn't Italian at all....at best it's ODM (Original Design Manufacture) - designed in Italy then built in the same few factories in Taiwan as any other carbon framed brand. It might look nice and you think you're riding a stylish Italian road bike, but you're not, you're riding a Taiwanese frame with a paint job and stickers to make it look like an Italian bike.


Not so at all - whilst some supposedly Italian bikes are anything but (in particular Pinarello does seem to stand out here as not actually making anything in Italy anymore) plenty of Italian brands do still make frames in Italy. For £3.5k, it isn't hard to source a bike with an Italian made frame - it just won't have wobbly forks!
Faster than a tent.......

User avatar
smidsy
Posts: 5256
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 20:52 pm

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby smidsy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 08:42 am

Basso are Italian AND Handmade in Italy. Look at the Astra or the Diamante in your price range.

http://www.bassobikes.com/en-UK/bikes-road-carbonio.php
Yellow is the new Black.

User avatar
thegreatdivide
Posts: 4246
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby thegreatdivide » Thu Dec 20, 2012 08:55 am

Having a frame made in the Far East doesn't mean it's cack, just as having a frame made in Italy doesn't mean it's the best of the best.
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

meesterbond
Posts: 971
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 08:57 am

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby meesterbond » Thu Dec 20, 2012 09:19 am

VFM is all well and good, but it's only part of the story. Surely the most important aspect of any bike is how it feels when you ride it. One of the problem with having so much data at your fingertips as we do now is that you can end up making decisions based on a) Specs and b) other people's biased, and often wrong opinions.

Sure, Canyon are ridiculous value for money, I own one myself and it's great... but you quickly forget the price you paid and are left with the bike you bought. If that doesn't excite you then it doesn't matter how cheap it was.

I guess what I'm trying to say is actually go with both head and heart. If you think that the Pinarello is truly special then it'll be worth the extra in the long run.

User avatar
Rolf F
Posts: 13574
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:29 am

Re: Pinarello Bike - £ 3,500

Postby Rolf F » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:48 am

thegreatdivide wrote:Having a frame made in the Far East doesn't mean it's cack, just as having a frame made in Italy doesn't mean it's the best of the best.


Lucky no one suggested Far Eastern frames are cack then! :lol:
Faster than a tent.......


Return to “Road Buying Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AK_jnr, dazz_ni45, Wirral_Paul and 9 guests