Cable rub giant trance

Sorting out your thrunge brackets, fettling your inter-rositers and even stuff about bike parts.
SUPERSUTT
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 22:06 pm

Cable rub giant trance

Postby SUPERSUTT » Mon Nov 26, 2012 08:55 am

Hi I've just got a new 2013 giant trance and was
Wondering if there is any flaws with things like cable
Rub or any other problems that do accur while under
Normal use so I can prevent it before it happens


Thanks for any input sutty
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts


FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)


Stu Coops
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 14:01 pm

Re: Cable rub giant trance

Postby Stu Coops » Mon Nov 26, 2012 18:12 pm

Seat tube behind the shock where the cables bend up either side they rub there, mine rubbed the paint completely off before i noticed it.
Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB

SUPERSUTT
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 22:06 pm

Re: Cable rub giant trance

Postby SUPERSUTT » Mon Nov 26, 2012 18:16 pm

The Beginner wrote:Cable rub happens, heli tape or other patch were it does.....

I know that but I want to stop it before it happens not
Find it one day while washing it
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts


FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)

SUPERSUTT
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 22:06 pm

Re: Cable rub giant trance

Postby SUPERSUTT » Mon Nov 26, 2012 18:19 pm

Stu Coops wrote:Seat tube behind the shock where the cables bend up either side they rub there, mine rubbed the paint completely off before i noticed it.

Cheers I will tape it up now before Its maiden ride
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts


FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)

SUPERSUTT
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 22:06 pm

Re: Cable rub giant trance

Postby SUPERSUTT » Mon Nov 26, 2012 18:24 pm

I have already taped up the head tube either side
Where the cables touch
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts


FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)

User avatar
97th choice
Posts: 2248
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 21:37 pm

Re: Cable rub giant trance

Postby 97th choice » Wed Nov 28, 2012 17:07 pm

You can get cable rub on the rear shock, I fashioned a spacer from a bit of plastic tube and two cable ties, and join the two cables either side of the rear shock.
Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
Radon ZR 27.5 Race
Btwin Alur700
Merida CX500

SUPERSUTT
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 22:06 pm

Re: Cable rub giant trance

Postby SUPERSUTT » Wed Nov 28, 2012 20:58 pm

97th choice wrote:You can get cable rub on the rear shock, I fashioned a spacer from a bit of plastic tube and two cable ties, and join the two cables either side of the rear shock.

The two cables coming up from the down tube are zip tied to the rocker bar link so not touching anything
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts


FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)

User avatar
97th choice
Posts: 2248
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 21:37 pm

Re: Cable rub giant trance

Postby 97th choice » Thu Nov 29, 2012 07:16 am

Keep an eye on them, especially after a few rides, or it may just be that mine are slightly longer, but the rhs definitely rubs for me, and the lbs told me the trick so it can't be a one off.
Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
Radon ZR 27.5 Race
Btwin Alur700
Merida CX500

RyanCTJ
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 13:35 pm

Re: Cable rub giant trance

Postby RyanCTJ » Thu Nov 29, 2012 18:59 pm

SUPERSUTT wrote:
97th choice wrote:You can get cable rub on the rear shock, I fashioned a spacer from a bit of plastic tube and two cable ties, and join the two cables either side of the rear shock.

The two cables coming up from the down tube are zip tied to the rocker bar link so not touching anything


Be careful, if they're zip tied too tight from the factory they can rub through the cables as they are sharp. I cut them off and put looser cable ties on, so they hang slightly (on my second Trance, learned the lesson the first time!). Good luck, as soon as you patch one area, another will inevitably appear due to the elaborate cable routing on the Trance. Eventually you'll get over the "overprotective new bike owner" phase and just get on with riding and appreciating every battle scar :lol:

SUPERSUTT
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 22:06 pm

Re: Cable rub giant trance

Postby SUPERSUTT » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:30 am

RyanCTJ wrote:
SUPERSUTT wrote:
97th choice wrote:You can get cable rub on the rear shock, I fashioned a spacer from a bit of plastic tube and two cable ties, and join the two cables either side of the rear shock.

The two cables coming up from the down tube are zip tied to the rocker bar link so not touching anything


Be careful, if they're zip tied too tight from the factory they can rub through the cables as they are sharp. I cut them off and put looser cable ties on, so they hang slightly (on my second Trance, learned the lesson the first time!). Good luck, as soon as you patch one area, another will inevitably appear due to the elaborate cable routing on the Trance. Eventually you'll get over the "overprotective new bike owner" phase and just get on with riding and appreciating every battle scar :lol:

Cheers mate I will do that this isn't my first bike I had mr camber stolen
A couple of weeks ago but before it got nicked I noticed the rear brake hose
Had made a deep groove under the chain stay which no one warned about

Maybe we need to start pointing out small flaws like that to people maybe run a post on here in all bikes
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts


FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)


Return to “MTB Workshop & Tech”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 2 guests